+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a person who is on impied status take information courses?

Drebeat

Jun 5, 2013
My wife is here in Canada and is waiting for a spousal visa and is on implied status. Can she attend a few non credit information courses at the local college such as food handling, bar tending and things like that?

We are planning on retiring to the Philippines in three years and opening a small restaurant so the spirit of the rule not to study seems a bit murky here as she would not be intending on taking a job here in this field, putting Canadians out of a job and, from what I understand most of the courses I'm thinking of have no diploma and are for information purposes only. Further to the above, if not, what is stopping her from taking an online course or heck, buying a bar tending book and reading it at home like, where is the line? ::)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
from what i've learned, courses are ok as long as the classes can't be credited toward a program that is 6 mo. or longer. Short, professional courses are ok. I *think* certification courses are also ok, as long as the program is shorter than 6 mo. total. The deciding factor seems to be length of course, and whether it can be credited toward a degree (which requires a completion of more than 6 mo. time).