+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a fresh graduate work while waiting for PGWP (post-graduation work permit)?

erencie

Apr 10, 2013
Hi I expect myself to graduate in early May of 2015. And I have already received a good job offer that's going to start in the middle of June in 2015. My study permit is scheduled to expire in September 2015 (That means I graduate earlier than what's expected for my program).

I am wondering if one month is too short for me to apply and then receive the Post Graduation Work Permit that is issued to international students in Canada.

I remember somewhere in the new policies released this year there are some statements saying that international students can actually work off campus while waiting for the decision of the PGWP application, as long as their study permit hasn't expired. I can't find this statement any more by searching.

May I know if my understanding is correct? That is, I can go ahead to work for the company who recruits me, in the middle of June without work permit , because my study permit hasn't expired and the decision of PGWP is still in progress?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
once u graduate meaning the day u get ur final grades and u get a letter from ur college/university that u have completed ur program ur 3 month period starts. now once u get the letter of graduations(or whatever u call it) u can take that and apply PGWP if u apply PGWP online u can start working full time as soon as u have applied for PGWP. U dont have to wait till pgwp is approved.

erencie

Apr 10, 2013
Thanks for the answer :)

mead said:
once u graduate meaning the day u get ur final grades and u get a letter from ur college/university that u have completed ur program ur 3 month period starts. now once u get the letter of graduations(or whatever u call it) u can take that and apply PGWP if u apply PGWP online u can start working full time as soon as u have applied for PGWP. U dont have to wait till pgwp is approved.