+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a Filipino visitor in UK apply in London for Canadian LIC work permit?

Serenta

Jan 26, 2009
Hi,
We have a Filipino nanny presently on visitor visa in UK and we are wondering if she can apply in London for the work permit under the live-in caregiver program? She meets all the requirements. Will they process her application if she is only a tourist?
Thank you,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Serenta said:
Hi,
We have a Filipino nanny presently on visitor visa in UK and we are wondering if she can apply in London for the work permit under the live-in caregiver program? She meets all the requirements. Will they process her application if she is only a tourist?
Thank you,
A coin flip as London may decide that she has no ties to the UK. It won't be quick as s/he will require a medical exam as well as an interview.

Serenta

Jan 26, 2009
thank you! but she has a sister in UK and she can go visit her. Has anyone experienced the same thing, going to a certain country just to apply for the work permit from there?
thanks

portmoody

Sep 23, 2010
I have spoken to CIC and am in a similar situation (well, the nanny we are hoping to hire) - she is in Canada on tourist visa.. long story, BUT CIC said she can process in any consulate as long as it is outside of Canada.

I am waiting to hear of stories where people have had a successful application though - theory is one thing, and it actually happening is another!

Makes sense - if she is visiting in London, UK - check to see if they have a walk-in option - I am looking at the same thing in Seattle - walk-in is accepted - it's just so ridiculously impossible to find any kind of time-line! If I knew it took 12months in Seattle, I won't do that - we'll do it in HK. Same with your situation..

Not so helpful, but I hope it was worth sharing!

Serenta

Jan 26, 2009
thanks portmoody for sharing the info and to job_seeker for the good info. portmoody, you can try buffalo, it's much quicker but i believe it's far for you.

portmoody

Sep 23, 2010
Serenta said:
thanks portmoody for sharing the info and to job_seeker for the good info. portmoody, you can try buffalo, it's much quicker but i believe it's far for you.
Where are you getting the time-line from for processing?

How do you know Buffalo is quicker than Seattle?

How long is Seattle - and how do you know???? This is possibly the main problem we have in terms of our decision of where to process!

Seattle is a 3 hour drive, Buffalo is a flight.

scarletsally

Star Member
Mar 22, 2010
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-12-2012
Med's Request
28-12-2012
Med's Done....
04-01-2013 ....in process: 08-05-2013
Passport Req..
02-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2013
LANDED..........
21-12-2013
portmoody said:
Where are you getting the time-line from for processing?

How do you know Buffalo is quicker than Seattle?

How long is Seattle - and how do you know???? This is possibly the main problem we have in terms of our decision of where to process!

Seattle is a 3 hour drive, Buffalo is a flight.
Here are the processing times for temporary work permits: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/15-temp-workers.asp
I was on vacation in the United States when I applied for my work permit. I applied at the Los Angeles office via walk in. Basically the work permit is processed (in LA) in 3 working days for walk-ins. However, since I'm Filipino, I had to get a medical exam (in which the shipping actually took longer than everything). The LA office received my medical 3 weeks after I applied. I actually didn't get any notification that my work permit has been approved already, I was just back in LA on the third week and when I went to the consulate I saw that it had already been approved the week before.