+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a 20-year old student, unemployed and financially dependant on parents, successfully get a TRV?

asAbrar

Nov 26, 2017
Some background details:
My parents live and work in United Arab Emirates, and my sister studies in Montreal. She will not be able to invite me to visit her there for a few more months, for as long as she is studying part-time.

I have already been refused a visa, after applying online, where I was not able to submit a few documents I feel would have made my application stronger. I did, however, list the documents in an explanation letter, and the visa officers seemed to have taken notice of that.
Is it worth re-applying, perhaps even in person if that helps, given that I can demonstrate being currently enrolled at my university in Germany, having a lease contract, and a history of travelling to USA, Turkey, UAE, and within the EU too (Did not need visas for intra-european trips).

Will return flight tickets strengthen my application? I will be able to cancel any flight I will not take in the event I do not get a visa in time.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some background details:
My parents live and work in United Arab Emirates, and my sister studies in Montreal. She will not be able to invite me to visit her there for a few more months, for as long as she is studying part-time.

I have already been refused a visa, after applying online, where I was not able to submit a few documents I feel would have made my application stronger. I did, however, list the documents in an explanation letter, and the visa officers seemed to have taken notice of that.
Is it worth re-applying, perhaps even in person if that helps, given that I can demonstrate being currently enrolled at my university in Germany, having a lease contract, and a history of travelling to USA, Turkey, UAE, and within the EU too (Did not need visas for intra-european trips).

Will return flight tickets strengthen my application? I will be able to cancel any flight I will not take in the event I do not get a visa in time.
You will need to post more details:
1. How long have you been studying in Germany? When does the study program end?

2. What is the purpose of your visit? For how long? When do you intend to visit?

3. When did you apply? What were the refusal reasons?

4. Which countries did you visit in the EU? Btw if you did not require visas for these EU countries, it won't add to your travel history for your TRV application.

5. What documents do you intend to submit?

asAbrar

Nov 26, 2017
Hello Bryanna,

I am currently into the third of an eight-year program.

I intend to visit my family and friends while there.

I applied a month ago. The reasons for refusal were generic, but it came in a day after I provided my biometrics.
I started wondering whether letters of support and bank history from my parents are no longer of any use once I am over 18.

I am not planning to submit anything new; I had already sent my previous visas and passport stamps with the earlier application, and mentioned the other documents in an explanation letter.
I can submit documents pertaining to my status as a student at my university, and the apartment I am renting here like my lease contract, for instance.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am currently into the third of an eight-year program.
I would recommend that you wait for another year before you reapply.

I intend to visit my family and friends while there.
When you reapply, you must include a detailed day-by-day plan with expense estimates for a visit of max 2-3 weeks (preferably around your school break).... like a typical tourist + family visit.... to prove you have a well-thought plan. You must prove you have the finances to pay for this visit + airfare + surplus finances.

I applied a month ago.
I would not apply anytime soon until you establish stronger ties to both Germany + UAE.

You would also need to include documents to prove your immigration status in Germany and UAE.

The reasons for refusal were generic, but it came in a day after I provided my biometrics.
Your refusal came in pretty quickly.

I started wondering whether letters of support and bank history from my parents are no longer of any use once I am over 18.
Letters of Financial Support would be necessary in your case even if you are 18+ years as you are a student/not employed.

You must also include your parents' bank statements + your bank statement in Germany (to prove that the funds can be accessed by you for your visit).

I am not planning to submit anything new; I had already sent my previous visas and passport stamps with the earlier application, and mentioned the other documents in an explanation letter.
Explanations don't work in isolation without supporting evidence.

I can submit documents pertaining to my status as a student at my university, and the apartment I am renting here like my lease contract, for instance.
You could post the list of documents + details about your situation here when you are ready to reapply