+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calculating work experience

Elias_Andvari

Star Member
May 19, 2018
Hey guys,

The contract for my new full-time job is offered for August 31st, 2020 - August 27th, 2021 period.
According to my calculations, this equates to 52 weeks or exactly 1560 hours of full time work (52wks x 30hr).

Would this make me eligible to apply for the Canadian Experience Class in a year or do I ask for the contract to be extended until August 31st, 2021 (calendar 1 year since the start date)? This would be the only work experience I will be claiming.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Here the CEC criteria make tangential mention of 52 weeks as the criterion:
An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., a two-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience).

But here it refers to 12 months:
Applicants must have at least 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within the 36 months before the date of application receipt [R87.1(2)(a)].

Why don't you save us all a lot of worry and have your contracted extended 4 days to Aug 31?

Elias_Andvari

Star Member
May 19, 2018
Here the CEC criteria make tangential mention of 52 weeks as the criterion:
An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., a two-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience).

But here it refers to 12 months:
Applicants must have at least 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within the 36 months before the date of application receipt [R87.1(2)(a)].

Why don't you save us all a lot of worry and have your contracted extended 4 days to Aug 31?
Thank you for your answer! It's just that the company might be defining one year as 52 weeks but I guess I will try to talk to HR to be on the safe side

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you for your answer! It's just that the company might be defining one year as 52 weeks but I guess I will try to talk to HR to be on the safe side
LOL, everyone defines one year as 52 weeks. Yes, your contract will give you one year if you complete it with those dates, but you won't have any leeway - depending on your work permit and the end date, you may have to leave Canada and apply from abroad, if you don't get a contract extension and work permit extension.