09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
While many greatly benefit from C-6's Royal Assent, some of us have been royally screwed, twice. First, because people like me, who landed before C-24 but didn't qualify for citizenship by the time it was implemented, were forced to wait an additional year to be able to apply for citizenship. That was the first strike. Then, a few weeks or months before completing the additional year, C-6 repeals the 1460-day requirement, to lower it back to 1095 days. The second strike ensues in the form of having to apply during a time when those who did not qualify with 4 years now qualify with only 3, making the application volume nearly doubled. So, by the time I get to apply under C-6, a whole 30 days, or so, before I qualified under C-24, I will face an uphill battle with overworked immigration agents, performing at half the speed and making my wait, then again (just like for my PR), one of the longest in the bunch. So, this post's for us, those who barely benefited, if at all or if not actually being hurt by C-6's reduction of physical presence. The only advantage for us is that we will qualify with a lot more days of physical presence and doubts about its calculation may be less of an issue.

Reactions: InnaBB and vikx01

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
First, because people like me, who landed before C-24 but didn't qualify for citizenship by the time it was implemented, were forced to wait an additional year to be able to apply for citizenship. That was the first strike.
Sorry, but anyone who had so much as an arguably reasonable expectation of qualifying for citizenship based on the 3/4 rule had plenty of time to meet the requirements and apply under the 3/4 rule. There was plenty of notice (before and during the 2011 election at the least) that the Conservatives were going to change the rule, at least four years prior to the rule change, which gave prospective immigrants plenty of time to meet the then three year requirement prior to June 11, 2015.

Moreover, at the time Jason Kenney was CIC Minister he also gave speeches in early 2012, some published at the CIC website, promising the changes by the end of 2012. That notice was also more than three years prior to the changes taking effect. (Fact that the promise was not kept is irrelevant; Alexander was making the same promises for 2013, also not kept.)

While it was mostly at another forum similar to this one in 2011 and 2012 (I was active here but far more so at a couple others back then), there were many, many participants urging me to not wait to apply once I met the qualifications, warning me that the Conservatives were going to increase the requirements (many thought it would be to five, not just four years). I had personal reasons for waiting. And I was aware that it would take at least a year or more to actually change the requirements after a formal Bill was tabled. The point, though, is that anyone paying much or even any attention was well aware the changes were coming well more than three years prior to the changes taking effect, in plenty of time to meet the requirements and apply before the changes took effect.

Bottom-line: anyone who immigrated to Canada before June 2012 had an opportunity to apply under the 3/4 rule. Anyone who immigrated to Canada after the summer of 2011, and particularly after the Kenney speeches were published in early 2012, had actual notice or should have had notice in doing due diligence (immigrating to a country is a big, big deal for most people, a decision for which one would be expected to do their homework), that the citizenship requirements were going to be increased.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Sorry, but anyone who had so much as an arguably reasonable expectation of qualifying for citizenship based on the 3/4 rule had plenty of time to meet the requirements and apply under the 3/4 rule. There was plenty of notice (before and during the 2011 election at the least) that the Conservatives were going to change the rule, at least four years prior to the rule change, which gave prospective immigrants plenty of time to meet the then three year requirement prior to June 11, 2015.

Moreover, at the time Jason Kenney was CIC Minister he also gave speeches in early 2012, some published at the CIC website, promising the changes by the end of 2012. That notice was also more than three years prior to the changes taking effect. (Fact that the promise was not kept is irrelevant; Alexander was making the same promises for 2013, also not kept.)

While it was mostly at another forum similar to this one in 2011 and 2012 (I was active here but far more so at a couple others back then), there were many, many participants urging me to not wait to apply once I met the qualifications, warning me that the Conservatives were going to increase the requirements (many thought it would be to five, not just four years). I had personal reasons for waiting. And I was aware that it would take at least a year or more to actually change the requirements after a formal Bill was tabled. The point, though, is that anyone paying much or even any attention was well aware the changes were coming well more than three years prior to the changes taking effect, in plenty of time to meet the requirements and apply before the changes took effect.

Bottom-line: anyone who immigrated to Canada before June 2012 had an opportunity to apply under the 3/4 rule. Anyone who immigrated to Canada after the summer of 2011, and particularly after the Kenney speeches were published in early 2012, had actual notice or should have had notice in doing due diligence (immigrating to a country is a big, big deal for most people, a decision for which one would be expected to do their homework), that the citizenship requirements were going to be increased.
Keeping up or not with developments does not change the fact that some people were affected twice in two very different ways, at this point unnecessarily, of course. Also, it seems you are quite hung up on the fact that perhaps some people do not qualify for citizenship due to the physical presence requirement by their own hand. Sure, some people leave Canada as they please, delaying their qualification for citizenship, but that is not the case of which I am referring. Many people that landed in 2013, as I did, would have qualified by 2016, but in 2015 this changed, so we had to wait until 2017.

My comments are not just about having been extended the time frame to qualify, which is your only focus. I am also indicating that while we had to wait longer, now we will get to apply during a time when twice as many applications will come in, which will increase processing times as well. Twice screwed.

Reactions: nonoo

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
This had been said by many people, many times already...
Perhaps not as many times we have seen questions about how to re-enter or come back to Canada after having abandoned their PR for years and that didn't stop anyone.

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
I am in the same boat.

But to be honest there is nothing new here. As much as it sucks to be struck twice like this just be happy you get to apply and be part of this wonderful country.

You seem to have come here a lot later than I have. I have been in Canada since 2002. I came as a 14 year old - now I am 29 - and still not a citizen. Yes, there is a LONG story and struggle just to get up this point but I am just happy that my turn has finally come.

In summary, be thankful for this moment. Get you application in asap once the new laws kick in, be happy and hope for the best!

Cheers

Reactions: jackhcd

nonoo

Jan 23, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Veg
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06th Dec 2011
AOR Received.
28th Feb 2012
Med's Request
18th Sept 2012
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2012 Displayed on Ecas 17th Nov 2012
Interview........
DM 18th Feb 2013
LANDED..........
15th March 2013
Keeping up or not with developments does not change the fact that some people were affected twice in two very different ways, at this point unnecessarily, of course. Also, it seems you are quite hung up on the fact that perhaps some people do not qualify for citizenship due to the physical presence requirement by their own hand. Sure, some people leave Canada as they please, delaying their qualification for citizenship, but that is not the case of which I am referring. Many people that landed in 2013, as I did, would have qualified by 2016, but in 2015 this changed, so we had to wait until 2017.

My comments are not just about having been extended the time frame to qualify, which is your only focus. I am also indicating that while we had to wait longer, now we will get to apply during a time when twice as many applications will come in, which will increase processing times as well. Twice screwed.
I agree with you, my application got returned due to a very minor mistake when I applied back in June 9th, 2015 that resulted 2 long years of wait. Now, just when I thought my punishment is over and I will benefit from the fast processing times, C6 strikes again :(

Reactions: Katayoon

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
I agree with you, my application got returned due to a very minor mistake when I applied back in June 9th, 2015 that resulted 2 long years of wait. Now, just when I thought my punishment is over and I will benefit from the fast processing times, C6 strikes again :(
Same here. Today is actually my four year anniversary of landing, and if I hadn't left Canada at all I could have applied tomorrow. Alas, work duties and visiting family has resulted in 72 days out of the country, which puts me into September. Hopefully I can apply before the "fall" implementation of 3/5. I was actually hoping that 3/5 would take a year to implement just like 4/6 took with C-24.

Reactions: vikx01 and nonoo

zineb83

Oct 14, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Before all wanted c 6 not they are not happy , any way it will not make block as the fees is still 630 $ so they will work on hiring staff , stay positive and anyway it is already done we can not change anything so maybe your process will take 8 month rather than 6 month even now some application get 8 to 9 month max is 12 month it is much bettter than 24 month :)

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
What is the point of the thread? Complaining? Does people not care of Intent to reside? About citizenship revocation? 2nd class citizenship? Only thing that matters is processing time?

Reactions: BOYX and jackhcd

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
While many greatly benefit from C-6's Royal Assent, some of us have been royally screwed, twice. First, because people like me, who landed before C-24 but didn't qualify for citizenship by the time it was implemented, were forced to wait an additional year to be able to apply for citizenship....
I am in the same boat as you, but if you only focus on the physical presence factor then you are missing out on the significance and objective of Bill C-6. Our convenience as immigrants or permanent residents or even citizens is of zero value when it comes to the constitution. It is NOT the government's job to accommodate the convenience of anyone. You can argue this with some of Trudeau's policies, but that is a subject for another discussion. However, C-6 brings up bigger aspects that give way more value to the citizenship we will eventually acquire. Waiting a couple of extra months is not an issue at all knowing that when you become citizen, you will have the same EXACT rights that "old stock Canadians" have. You will not be obliged to sign an intent to reside so you can move anywhere you wish; and if God forbid you end up committing a crime, you will be judged like every other Canadian; no extra punishment. I know some might wonder why one would get involved in a crime, but keep in mind there are many innocent people in jail, so imagine an innocent person being twice punished.

I completely understand your frustration because it sucks to wait, but then again waiting a bit longer is worth it because of what you are waiting for. You could have received the citizenship faster under C-24 in your case, but the citizenship you would have received would have been of less value, more like a temporary one until the government finds a way to strip it off you. Now you will receive a more valuable citizenship that will not only make you equal to everyone else, but also guarantees the same for your children and grandchildren.

CAforCA

Jan 27, 2009
Doc's Request.
20th Jan 2010
AOR Received.
25th May 2010
IELTS Request
15th Dec 2009 Taken Score 7.5
File Transfer...
20-01-2010
Med's Request
28-09-2010
Med's Done....
11-10-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
6/1/2011
LANDED..........
25/6/2011 Yoo Hoo
I think there are reasons why some of the provisions were removed - the reason was to expedite the processing time. For instance "Intend to Stay" ..it was such a grey area where the agents would have to prove it to their internal audit team that they did their due diligence in proving intend to stay for an applicant. Applicant on other hand had to provide employment records, property papers, family physical stay and still could be asked for more information. Now that step is removed it would be straight forward based on number of days the person has stayed in Canada. I am staying positive on this one - I myself came in 2011 and then back again in 2013 ..so I am too affected by the timing but I am looking on the positive side that the processing time will get reduced drastically by removal of intend to stay ..I also feel now they will not stress on police clearance as the terrorism dual layer is removed ..so more faster approvals.

Reactions: Nisha91

Natan

May 22, 2015

We did quite a bit of research in the year leading up to our move to Canada, including having retained Canadian immigration attorneys years before we arrived. Nowhere did we hear about changes to the citizenship laws. We followed the news in the city we were moving to, as well as national news and did not hear about citizenship requirement changes. We followed a national election shortly after arriving and never read anything from the candidates regarding citizenship law changes. In fact, it was not until about four months before C-24 received royal assent that I knew about the bill and the changes -- I heard about it on this forum.

My lack of knowledge was not due to a lack of research or a lack of concern about the politics of Canada -- on the contrary, I heavily researched Canadian politics and the leaders of the majour parties. I had lengthy conversations with our immigration attorneys on a regular basis. I regularly visited CIC's website. Had I not been referred to this forum by someone else, I might not have heard about C-24 until after it was too late for me to do anything about it to make sure I qualified for citizenship under the old rules. As it happened, my application was accepted the day before C-24 received Royal Assent with zero days to spare. (Instead of driving to work in Oregon and driving back on the weekends, I had to fly back and forth daily in order to qualify under the old rules, at a cost of over US$ 40,000.)

While many online forums may have been discussing these changes, it is unreasonable to expect immigrants to view online forums as a legitimate venue for valid immigration information (any daily sampling of the comments on this forum will contain enough misinformation to make one's hair stand on end). Unless someone anticipated this change and was specifically looking for it in the news, it is unlikely someone was going to come across it by happenstance. I am a savvy individual who works on the Internet and was conducting constant research on Canada and did not come across it, much less someone who is struggling to live their newcomer lives (e.g., unfamiliar culture, unfamiliar language, unfamiliar social situations, unfamiliar working environments).

C-24 was a thunderclap that hit my family out of the blue -- it has caused us significant hardships. It was the FOURTH TIME Canada moved the citizenship goal posts on us. C-6 is the fifth time Canada has moved those goal posts and it is the first time that those posts were moved in our favour.

Reactions: links18

Fuad2017

Jun 27, 2017
What is the point of the thread? Complaining? Does people not care of Intent to reside? About citizenship revocation? 2nd class citizenship? Only thing that matters is processing time?
Sure we are happy about changing intent to reside and 2nd class citizenship but we don't to be back for long processing time.

For sure complaining will not help us, we can start make list for whom got delayed twice because of C24 and C6 and demand the Minister to give us priority to process our application faster when the backlogs start.

For me and my family we landed on Aug, 2013 and never left Canada. So we can apply on August, 2017 but am afraid we have to wait 2 years for Oaths if C6 implemented in September.

Last edited:
Reactions: nonoo

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Sure we are happy about changing intent to reside and 2nd class citizenship but we don't to be back for long processing time.

For sure complaining will not help us, we can start make list for whom got delayed twice because of C24 and C6 and demand the Minister to give us priority to process our application faster when the backlogs start.

For me and my family we landed on Aug, 2013 and never left Canada. So we can apply on August, 2017 but am afraid we have to wait 2 years for Oaths if C6 implemented in September.
Unless you are planning to leave Canada anytime soon, I dont think you are missing much.
There are many who got affected twice but government policy is never designed to affect a small minority. If you want government to give you priority access, be prepared for them to spend another two years discussing how to do it.