+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying property in India after Canadian Citizen

Simplesim

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Hi team,

Can someone please let me know if someone has clue that I amcanadian citizen, and applied for surrender certificate (yet to apply oci) , planning to buy property in India, is that possible through POA power of attorney if anyone did that, (also seller is in hurry meaning he can't hold off couple of months)

If anyone did the process of buying with poa option can please guide on this. Really looking for the pointer. Thanks,

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi team,

Can someone please let me know if someone has clue that I amcanadian citizen, and applied for surrender certificate (yet to apply oci) , planning to buy property in India, is that possible through POA power of attorney if anyone did that, (also seller is in hurry meaning he can't hold off couple of months)

If anyone did the process of buying with poa option can please guide on this. Really looking for the pointer. Thanks,
Your questions are never really simple unlike your profile name...

• Haha
Reactions: Simplesim

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi team,

This is indeed a very technical question and I am sure will be hard to answer

First of the land you are buying, is that agricultural land- if yes, you are not allowed to do that.

If not , than question whether POA can help, yes it does- now you need special POA or General POA need to be confirmed by land registration department of that state as its not registration but also transfer of land in revenue records.

Land buying and selling are state subjects and it would be easier if you say which state the transaction is, may be some one from the forum can respond.

Dont want to make things complex for you, but just throwing some light on the certain facts you will need to consider.

Simplesim

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
This is indeed a very technical question and I am sure will be hard to answer

First of the land you are buying, is that agricultural land- if yes, you are not allowed to do that.

If not , than question whether POA can help, yes it does- now you need special POA or General POA need to be confirmed by land registration department of that state as its not registration but also transfer of land in revenue records.

Land buying and selling are state subjects and it would be easier if you say which state the transaction is, may be some one from the forum can respond.

Don't want to make things complex for you, but just throwing some light on the certain facts you will need to consider.
Thanks for your revert. Basically I am trying flat in an apartment so not agricultural land..! Now that I got some info after investigation that, we can buy the property in some states of India, Punjab, without POA, power of attorney (property I mean, flat ). Some states of India, you need to have POA, Maharashtra. so, in case if someone wants to buy flat then they can ask someone from India to send POA to Canada and you need to sign here along with that you need to submit self authorization declaration that your OCI is in progress and submit these documents along with other list of documents to embassy (Vancouver) in my case. Then you will be good to buy property (flat)