+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Business Travel for Canadian Business and RQ Period

May 7, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have a situation and would appreciate your opinion/expertise.

I submitted a PR Card renewal request, and in fulfilling the 730 days requirement period there was a few months of travel abroad mostly related to working for a Canadian business (part of the 730). I am employed locally in Canada but they had a project abroad and I was assigned to travel abroad to do work outside of Canada. All travel is documented through the company.

I received a Questionnaire, however, and I have three questions:

1. Will my travel for business qualify under 'Employment Outside Canada' ?

2. I submitted the application in July, and I got the questionnaire in November. When I have to fill in the RQ, do I include the last 5 years from the day they sent the letter asking for it or for the period I originally submitted? (more recent will be better for me as I can avoid the whole business travel issue)

(the letter states "In order to establish that you have compiled with the residency requirements, you will be required to satisfy the Department that you have been physically present in Canada for at least 730 days in the past 5 years, or that your circumstances are otherwise allowed for by the Act.) However, the RQ refers to the "five (5) year period immediately prior to the date of your application for a permanent resident card"

3. (based on #2) Is there a possibility to change the period I submitted in my original application while in the RQ stage? Or is it better to withdraw and resubmit?

4. Is it better to consult with a lawyer ?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. No - your travel outside of Canada will not be counted under "Employment Outside of Canada". To be counted, you would need to have been moved by your Canadian company to a permanent role outside of Canada. Your business travel will be counted as time spent outside of Canada for PR residency requirement purposes.

2. 5 years from the time you submitted the application.

3. No - it's not possible to change. You would have to withdraw the application.