+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BSF186

jriede

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
Question about declaring personal possessions when you land....Is it the BSF186 form that we use? How come there are only 8 spots? Do you just 25 of them and list everything you own? We havn't kept receipts or anything of things we own but it is all well used and nothing of value has been purchased in the last 6 months

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Question about declaring personal possessions when you land....Is it the BSF186 form that we use? How come there are only 8 spots? Do you just 25 of them and list everything you own? We havn't kept receipts or anything of things we own but it is all well used and nothing of value has been purchased in the last 6 months
YOU don't have to fill in BSF186, the nice CBSA officers will do that. You need to have a list of goods accompanying and goods to follow with estimated values in $CAD. These should be values if you sold them, not purchase values. Lots of good information here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

dreaz1313

Jul 25, 2020
Question on this, the wiki link was super helpful. What I don't understand is if one form is for items that your are shipping separately I'm guessing the 186a and if the other if for items you're bringing with you when you arrive in Canada. Its bit confusing because I have both forms and both have an option to check the box that says "goods to follow" so I'm not sure which form I'm supposed to use for which. If you know that would be great. than you!

kush_canada

Feb 25, 2020
Question on this, the wiki link was super helpful. What I don't understand is if one form is for items that your are shipping separately I'm guessing the 186a and if the other if for items you're bringing with you when you arrive in Canada. Its bit confusing because I have both forms and both have an option to check the box that says "goods to follow" so I'm not sure which form I'm supposed to use for which. If you know that would be great. than you!
I don't believe 1 form is for goods to follow and one for goods you are bringing with you. BSF186A is an addendum form to list more items. It is to be used if you are not able to list everything you are bringing in BSF186. I could be wrong about this but this is my best guess.

teas

Sep 22, 2020
Don't worry about trying to understand the form. You don't need to fill it or any related form before you land. You just need to create your own list in Excel or whatever you want. The CBSA officer then completes the official form for you when you land based on your list you produced. You can review the goods accompanying list we used when we immigrated last year if it helps.