+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing my vehicle to Canada

JesaWicked

Sep 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I arrived in Canada at the end of last year as a visitor to marry my husband (been together for 9 years). I am now currently here as an implied status for my PR. To get here, I took my car on a long roadtrip (I'm from the US) instead of flying to Canada due to the fact that I had so much stuff to bring with me and for transportation when I get my OWP.

My question is, do I have to wait until I have landed to even start the importing process because that's what I've been told to do. Should I have done something different in the beginning? I seem to be having difficulty finding an aswer. I'm asking because this random stranger pointed out that since I've been here for a while and I still don't have an Ontario license plate, a will get pulled over by the police. Yikes.

Thanks!

ThreeSquareImm

Star Member
Oct 26, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, I hate to just point you to Google, but try a Google search for "importing a car to Canada." I know from limited experience that you will have to take it for an inspection and perhaps make a few modifications according to tiny specs. It shouldn't be that much of a hassle. I know technically for some provinces, you're not supposed to be driving a foreign car for more than 6 months, but someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

JesaWicked

Sep 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've tried Google so many times, unfortunately. All I see is information for landed immigrants/Canadians importing US cars. I'm not sure if I can even import right now because I'm technically not even a permanent resident yet. Should I hand over the title to my Canadian husband so he can start the process?

Thanks again :)

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
I am here on a work permit, and was able to import my car earlier this year, once I paid it off and had the title in hand. A few items:

First, it technically is "temporarily imported" during the duration of my work permit or extensions thereof. Because it's only temporary, I did not have to enter the RIV program, nor did I have to pay any taxes or duties. I still had to follow the 72 hour rule of faxing the title to the US CBP office at the port of export (Detroit in my case), and the car HAD to be in the US during that 72 hour period. So what I did was take a 3 day trip to visit family and fax the docs after I crossed the border into Michigan. After three days, I reported to CBP and exported the car. Then immediately imported it into Ontario on the other side of the bridge. All in all a fairly painless process.

I did have to do the daytime running lights modification, as well as get an Ontario safety inspection and emissions inspection. While I am here on a WP, I cannot sell, trade-in or dispose of the vehicle in Canada. I would have to reimport it to the US in that case. And I was sternly warned by CBP that failure to properly reimport the car would result in it's seizure and confiscation. :eek:

The way I understand it, once I land as a PR I will have to enter the car into the RIV program. That's still a ways off, so I haven't really researched it yet. At that time I'll have to pay the AC tax, but don't think I will need to pay duties or taxes as it will be considered "settler's goods".

JesaWicked

Sep 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the info 2_of_5! :)

So basically you're saying that once I get my work permit I can 'temporarily import' my car? The only thing is, I can't do the 72 hour rule because I don't think I can leave the country that long with my implied status (unless I was misinformed?).

I'll go ahead and make a few calls tomorrow and see what I can do. I just hope my car doesn't get confiscated. My husband is on disability and can't drive so he relies on me and my car.

JesaWicked

Sep 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay, it took me a while but I finally got an answer for people who are also wondering.

First we contacted CIC and they didn't know what to do with the situation and referred us to the RIV program. We called the RIV program offices and they told us we didn't need to import the car at the actual border but at our local customs office (when we are able to import my car). Since they couldn't provide any other information they referred us to Canadian Border Agency (Canada Customs) and they told us two things 1). Since I am not able to import my car legally yet since I am not a PR and are only in the process of getting it, I could wait until I get my PR to start the process 2). I can transfer the title to my husband and get our province plate. She said that's if I really wanted to have it. It's up to me. She said the only thing about the second option is that you will have to pay all the taxes and fees now.

I hope that helps anybody else in my situation.