+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing Jewellery

bkuper

Star Member
Jul 2, 2009
HI,

I've been reading in this forum about declaring jewellery when landing.
I have a dozen pieces or so - some of which I will be taking when I do my initial landing next week and some which will be in my goods to follow a few months later. The pieces range in value from a few hundred $$$ and upwards.

I am having a real problem finding a good valuer here in Melbourne. There are vey few companies that seem to do valuations and also want to charge up to $100 for each evaluation.

For those that have landed with jewellery, how have you done it? Have you actually had each piece valued and presented each certificate to customs? Or have you just taken photos and written your own estimate? If you did your own estimate did customs ask you why you did not get an official evaluation?

Thanks

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I only declared "costume jewelry" which the custom's officer asked me to title, list and value separately on my declaration form (I originally listed "jewelry and accessories" as one category on my form). He asked about the total value of the items and seemed satisfied that I was not declaring anything considered "valuable".

Cancrazy

Dec 22, 2009
I just valued it on my own and took the photos along with me. the officer just saw the photos and stamped each on of them.I thk self valuation is fine, the photos are the KEY.

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
I don't have any jewellery and didn't have either when doing my landing, but don't forget to take pictures of EACH item with an estimated price being labeled at custom jew. or accessories. oK?

sdffgg

Dec 14, 2010
Hi bkuper,

Hope you still following this thread.

Just take the jewelery you have along with the purchasing slips. Actually, my wife took only the receipts when she landed but the costumes asked her to bring the jewelery along with the recipts when she comes in the future.

We are going to do that when we fly next time.

Hope this helps a bit.

ARN

Star Member
Mar 26, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-08-2015
Hello!

Reviving this thread, if I want to bring in some jewellery on my next trip to Canada, will I have to put that in the goods to follow list?

Also is it a good idea to declare all the jewellery back home? Because we never know what we decide to bring with us later on.

Any help would be appreciated.

SamyAmy

Star Member
Nov 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7 -11-2014
Doc's Request.
Add doc submitted 21:08:2015
AOR Received.
16:03:2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
File Transfer...
05:02:2015
Med's Request
14:07:2015
Med's Done....
25:07:2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
21:01:2016
VISA ISSUED...
4:2:2016
LANDED..........
April 16
ARN said:
Hello!

Reviving this thread, if I want to bring in some jewellery on my next trip to Canada, will I have to put that in the goods to follow list?

Also is it a good idea to declare all the jewellery back home? Because we never know what we decide to bring with us later on.

Any help would be appreciated.
For taking back the jewellery back to your home country, carry the original receipts of purchase of your home country and you won't be charged any duty on it.