+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing cats from UK requirements?

Jazcan

Jun 1, 2013
Does anybody know what the exact requirements or process of bringing two cats from the UK to Canada please? I.e., what do we need to do/get in order to bring them over and how do we actually get them over, using which service? Any advice greatly appreciated please! Thanks :D

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/cats/eng/1331904105485/1331904720313

Hope your felines have a good time in Canada!

I don't know much about services, but since you're in the UK, you'll have plenty of options.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jazibkg said:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/cats/eng/1331904105485/1331904720313

Hope your felines have a good time in Canada!

I don't know much about services, but since you're in the UK, you'll have plenty of options.
That's only for cats coming to Canada in general. The OP would have to dig how to export their cat from UK.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
steaky said:
That's only for cats coming to Canada in general. The OP would have to dig how to export their cat from UK.
Most airlines on their websites list this. Depends on which flight the OP is taking. Some airlines have special requirements, they may have a section for live animals on their cargo area.

mooer

Mar 6, 2014
Victoria, BC
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-03-14
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
11-09-2014
Med's Done....
16-09-2014
Passport Req..
Visa exempt - RPRF 06-11-14
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 26-01-15
LANDED..........
01-02-15
Hi. We came from the UK with our dog 2 years ago and it was quite easy. We needed an DEFRA export health certificate (ring DEFRA and they will send one to your vets office), he needed to be up to date with his vaccinations and he had a rabies jab. We knew he did not necessarily need the rabies jab but thought it would just be easier all round if we did it. I think it had to be done within 2 weeks of travel though - I can't remember exactly. Not sure if you need this for cats?

Regards the actual trip, we simply booked him onto our Air Canada flight with us. We checked him in at oversize baggage (where you would take skis, golf clubs, buggies etc) in a crate (has to be certain size/specification for each airline) and collected him at the other end. We then had to go through the Agriculture desk at Vancouver airport and pay the inspection fee ($35 IIRC) and we were good to go.

I would advise looking on the CBSA website to see if you can find up to date info there and also contact the airline you will be flying with.

Hope this help
Amanda

Jazcan

Jun 1, 2013
Amanda THANK YOU for taking the time to write such a full and informative response to my question. I thoroughly appreciate it. I had a feeling it was as simple as you suggested but to have somebody actually confirm that from personal experience is greatly appreciated. We have two cats but can't bring them immediately anyway as we will have to rent somewhere first but in 6 months to one year we will come back and collect them so this information is very helpful thank you

mooer

Mar 6, 2014
Victoria, BC
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-03-14
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
11-09-2014
Med's Done....
16-09-2014
Passport Req..
Visa exempt - RPRF 06-11-14
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 26-01-15
LANDED..........
01-02-15
Hi Jazcan. We were initially only coming to Canada for 1 year so brought our dog with us into rented accommodation - it wasn't too hard to find somewhere that would allow us to have him.

If I helped you, please press GOOD <---------------

Thanks!!

AranChen

Mar 27, 2021
Hi. We came from the UK with our dog 2 years ago and it was quite easy. We needed an DEFRA export health certificate (ring DEFRA and they will send one to your vets office), he needed to be up to date with his vaccinations and he had a rabies jab. We knew he did not necessarily need the rabies jab but thought it would just be easier all round if we did it. I think it had to be done within 2 weeks of travel though - I can't remember exactly. Not sure if you need this for cats?

Regards the actual trip, we simply booked him onto our Air Canada flight with us. We checked him in at oversize baggage (where you would take skis, golf clubs, buggies etc) in a crate (has to be certain size/specification for each airline) and collected him at the other end. We then had to go through the Agriculture desk at Vancouver airport and pay the inspection fee ($35 IIRC) and we were good to go.

I would advise looking on the CBSA website to see if you can find up to date info there and also contact the airline you will be flying with.

Hope this help
Amanda
Hi Amanda,

We are in the process of moving back to Vancouver Island from the UK and will be bringing our dog with us. We are confused as to whether we need an Export Health Certificate (EHC) from the UK. The CBSA guidelines don't mention anything about needing an EHC but do say we would need either a health certificate or proof of update to date rabies vaccination. Can you remember if anyone actually checked the EHC when you brought your dog in?
Thanks so much in advance for your help.
Che

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Amanda,

We are in the process of moving back to Vancouver Island from the UK and will be bringing our dog with us. We are confused as to whether we need an Export Health Certificate (EHC) from the UK. The CBSA guidelines don't mention anything about needing an EHC but do say we would need either a health certificate or proof of update to date rabies vaccination. Can you remember if anyone actually checked the EHC when you brought your dog in?
Thanks so much in advance for your help.
Che
The health certificate is probably the airline's requirement. Also, do you realised you revived a seven years post?

When I brought my puppy from the US few years ago, I only have to show CBSA the papers from the vet with the pup's age.

Last edited: