+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing a Cat while Immigration Pending

Zei

Aug 22, 2017
So I have read about many people who come to Canada before they are officially accepted in so that they can wait out the process with their spouse. Currently I am in Canada while my spouse is in the USA. We plan to send out our immigration application within the next week or two and would like to have her come up in the next few months while we wait.

I have read that the spouse will generally be let into Canada as long as they have proof that they still have ties to their home country. This can include a return ticket, rental/housing properties, family connections and work connections. None of that is a problem. However, I have also read that bringing a lot of possessions could alert border patrol that you are planning on staying and you may be refused.

So my question is: Will bringing her cat raise suspicion? Can we just tell border patrol that we wish to move the cat up early so we don't have to bring her later? Or should we say that there's no one to take care of her at home so she's just here on the visit?

If necessary we can leave her with my spouse's family until officially accepted, but we'd much rather bring her up with us.

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
I brought my cat, all they cared about was that he was up to date on all of his shots, focusing on Rabies.

MagnusJ

Apr 20, 2013
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
21-12-2015
AOR Received.
10-06-2016
Med's Request
25-04-2017
Med's Done....
11-05-2017
LANDED..........
11-07-2017
I brought my two cats when coming to Canada on a working holiday visa. As csturner92 said they just make sure that all the paperwork for the cat is in order.