3-03-2017
Med's Done....
16-06-2016, upfront
Interview........
not needed
Passport Req..
21-03-2017
LANDED..........
I tried to find the answer to my question on the forum but couldn't so i'm asking the question here. Went through cic website and the informations are not as straight forward as i would like so would like some opinion on this.

We are in the country since march 2015, stayed a year on a tourist visa, found a sponsor for my partner and his employer applied for a LMIA back then which was accepted. we left at the end of our visa and went to Europe for a month, came back end of april 2016 and applied at the airport for a work permit (because of the LMIA). my partner get a work permit to work for his employer and i did get an open work permit. Both permits were for only a year (guy at the customs didn't want to give 2 years as we already spent a year as tourists and despite my explanations about permanent residency application decided that 1 year would be enough to get it done, whatever).

Anyway, we applied once for PR in july, been cancelled in august, reapplied in december 14th. As our work permits expire in April and nothing has changed yet in our application so far i'm not sure we will get the answer before the end of the permits.
the AOR says we can apply for a BOWP but it doesn't mention if it's only for the primary applicant or if the common law can do it as well. lots of informations on cic not that clear about that, when you are already in the country on work permits.

i'm pregnant and due anytime now so my EI maternity leave will stop end of april if i can't extend my work permit which freaks me out a bit as we lived in Whistler and life is ridiculously expensive !

Any thoughts anyone ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Reactions: Tophele

popolipo

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Nelson BC
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
?
NOC Code......
6332 (partner principal applicant)
Doc's Request.
10-03-2017, IMM5562E
AOR Received.
14-12-2016
IELTS Request
3-03-2017
Med's Done....
16-06-2016, upfront
Interview........
not needed
Passport Req..
21-03-2017
LANDED..........
popolipo said:
I tried to find the answer to my question on the forum but couldn't so i'm asking the question here. Went through cic website and the informations are not as straight forward as i would like so would like some opinion on this.

We are in the country since march 2015, stayed a year on a tourist visa, found a sponsor for my partner and his employer applied for a LMIA back then which was accepted. we left at the end of our visa and went to Europe for a month, came back end of april 2016 and applied at the airport for a work permit (because of the LMIA). my partner get a work permit to work for his employer and i did get an open work permit. Both permits were for only a year (guy at the customs didn't want to give 2 years as we already spent a year as tourists and despite my explanations about permanent residency application decided that 1 year would be enough to get it done, whatever).

Anyway, we applied once for PR in july, been cancelled in august, reapplied in december 14th. As our work permits expire in April and nothing has changed yet in our application so far i'm not sure we will get the answer before the end of the permits.
the AOR says we can apply for a BOWP but it doesn't mention if it's only for the primary applicant or if the common law can do it as well. lots of informations on cic not that clear about that, when you are already in the country on work permits.

i'm pregnant and due anytime now so my EI maternity leave will stop end of april if i can't extend my work permit which freaks me out a bit as we lived in Whistler and life is ridiculously expensive !

Any thoughts anyone ?

Thanks a lot for your help

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
popolipo said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

Only the principal applicant (PA) can get a BOWP. A spouse may be eligible for a spouse open work permit, if the PA has a full-time job in a skilled occupation. Both applications may be submitted at the same time.

the PA can apply for the BOWP as soon as the eAPR is submitted and the AOR email is received. However, the BOWP cannot be issued until the PR application has passed the R(10) completeness check. If your application is deemed complete and put into processing, then the BOWP application can be finalized.

As long as you apply for your BOWP/SOWP before your current work permits expire (recommend doing it online), and you submit complete applications, you will be on "implied status" until a decision is made on your work permits.

popolipo

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Nelson BC
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
?
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
10-03-2017, IMM5562E
AOR Received.
14-12-2016
IELTS Request
3-03-2017
Med's Done....
16-06-2016, upfront
Interview........
not needed
Passport Req..
21-03-2017
LANDED..........
Hi, thanks for that !

that's what i was thinking but because i'm already on open work permit i was a bit confused. so should i just apply to extend my stay, and ask to extend my open work permit then ?

thanks for your help

Shimich

Apr 29, 2016
jes_ON said:

Only the principal applicant (PA) can get a BOWP. A spouse may be eligible for a spouse open work permit, if the PA has a full-time job in a skilled occupation. Both applications may be submitted at the same time.

the PA can apply for the BOWP as soon as the eAPR is submitted and the AOR email is received. However, the BOWP cannot be issued until the PR application has passed the R(10) completeness check. If your application is deemed complete and put into processing, then the BOWP application can be finalized.

As long as you apply for your BOWP/SOWP before your current work permits expire (recommend doing it online), and you submit complete applications, you will be on "implied status" until a decision is made on your work permits.
Applicants who are applying under CEC don't have any job requirements.
I was wondering do we both have to submit a joint application or we are submitting separate applications trough different cic accounts?

popolipo

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Nelson BC
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
?
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
10-03-2017, IMM5562E
AOR Received.
14-12-2016
IELTS Request
3-03-2017
Med's Done....
16-06-2016, upfront
Interview........
not needed
Passport Req..
21-03-2017
LANDED..........
you gonna have to apply separately, each on your own my cic account

omar_ahmed21

Nov 22, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:

Hi Jes_ON,

My wife applied for study permit/ OWP for me. Now I just realized that my passport will be expired in Mar and I’ll renew it ASAP.

However, in the meantime do you think CIC will not grant me OWP because of that?

Note: My PGWP expires in 20 days :-X

Thanks,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
omar_ahmed21 said:
My wife applied for study permit/ OWP for me. Now I just realized that my passport will be expired in Mar and I’ll renew it ASAP.

However, in the meantime do you think CIC will not grant me OWP because of that?

Note: My PGWP expires in 20 days :-X
IRCC cannot issue any permit beyond the expiry date of your passport, and they are unlikely to issue any permit for 2 months.

If you are lucky, they will delay a decision until you send them updated passport details.

Apply for your new passport ASAP, expedite if possible.

Since you have applied for a new work permit before the old one expired, you should be on implied status after your PGWP expires, until a decision is made on your extension application.

omar_ahmed21

Nov 22, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
IRCC cannot issue any permit beyond the expiry date of your passport, and they are unlikely to issue any permit for 2 months.

If you are lucky, they will delay a decision until you send them updated passport details.

Apply for your new passport ASAP, expedite if possible.

Since you have applied for a new work permit before the old one expired, you should be on implied status after your PGWP expires, until a decision is made on your extension application.
Thanks for your reply!

I have sent my passport to my country embassy to get the 2 years extension, but how I will update CIC with the new information. I have applied online and there's no option to update my file! Should I call them ?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
omar_ahmed21 said:
Thanks for your reply!

I have sent my passport to my country embassy to get the 2 years extension, but how I will update CIC with the new information. I have applied online and there's no option to update my file! Should I call them ?
Send a case specific enquiry (CSE)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

omar_ahmed21

Nov 22, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
Send a case specific enquiry (CSE)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

I never know about this :)

You are the best ;) +1

janorees

Mar 23, 2020
I am applying for BOWP choosing - applying work permit for same employer.
My wife is on SOWP what should I choose for her form ? - Should I saw "new employer or work permit for first time" or applying for same employer (Even though she is not working).

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Tophele

Nov 17, 2023
I am applying for BOWP choosing - applying work permit for same employer.
My wife is on SOWP what should I choose for her form ? - Should I saw "new employer or work permit for first time" or applying for same employer (Even though she is not working).

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
You don’t have to fill that space