+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Break up from common-law partner?

MountainLife

Sep 9, 2013
Hi,

I received my permanent residence status in the middle of 2013 and found out a month later my partner/sponsor was having an affair.... we split and she lives with the other guy now. I'm wondering whether I should be notifying CIC of the split?

On my COPR form in my passport is says conditions 'Nil' ....

As I understand it I'm not in any danger of losing my residency but I should probably inform CIC?

Thoughts and help appreciated.

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
There is no requirement for CIC to be informed. She is still on the hook for the remainder of the undertaking period of three years.

Graihn

Jul 15, 2013
Kitchener-Waterloo
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 22 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 1 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 12 2014
zardoz said:
There is no requirement for CIC to be informed. She is still on the hook for the remainder of the undertaking period of three years.
Go on welfare and get back at her! Lol. Joking.

Sorry abt your situation

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
zardoz said:
Agreed. If there is no condition on your PR, then CIC doesn't care about breakups that happen due to natural reasons so there is no need to inform them.

The only thing you would potentially have to worry about, is if your sponsor doesn't want to be on the hook for you financially for the next 3 years, she could try to lie to CIC and tell them you faked being common-law to get PR, in which case an investigation could be done (but not likely it would go anywhere).

M

mikeymyke

Go on welfare to teach her a lesson. No taxpayers shall be harmed because she is responsible. :p

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MountainLife said:
Hi,

I received my permanent residence status in the middle of 2013 and found out a month later my partner/sponsor was having an affair.... we split and she lives with the other guy now. I'm wondering whether I should be notifying CIC of the split?
On my COPR form in my passport is says conditions 'Nil' ....
As I understand it I'm not in any danger of losing my residency but I should probably inform CIC?
Thoughts and help appreciated.

Thanks
I have been looking up your previous posts in an attempt to understand the facts. Your first post was dated 9th September 2013 by which time you had 'landed' in Canada but had not received your PR card. You have not said when you landed but now say that you 'received...permanent residence status in the middle of 2013'. What precisely do you mean by that: that you received your COPR in mid 2013 or that you landed in mid 2013? I am concerned about the sequence of events Did you first receive the COPR, then land, then discovered the affair and was it then that your partner left, a month after the landing? If that is the sequence of events you are home and dry. If it is not, you are as I understand it in trouble: so far as I am aware your common law partnership has to exist both at the time of the application and at the time of landing. Please clarify the dates and sequence of events.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Hey MountainLife,

Your story (and the embedded dates) all add up to me. "You are home and dry". Welcome to Canada!

MountainLife

Sep 9, 2013
Hi and thankyou all for your replies, sorry for the delay in getting back.

wowsers said:
I have been looking up your previous posts in an attempt to understand the facts. Your first post was dated 9th September 2013 by which time you had 'landed' in Canada but had not received your PR card. You have not said when you landed but now say that you 'received...permanent residence status in the middle of 2013'. What precisely do you mean by that: that you received your COPR in mid 2013 or that you landed in mid 2013? I am concerned about the sequence of events Did you first receive the COPR, then land, then discovered the affair and was it then that your partner left, a month after the landing? If that is the sequence of events you are home and dry. If it is not, you are as I understand it in trouble: so far as I am aware your common law partnership has to exist both at the time of the application and at the time of landing. Please clarify the dates and sequence of events.
Thankyou Wowsers for your concerns, to clarify exactly how it went down, I received my COPR form in May 2013 and landed in July 2013, at which both times to my knowledge I was still in a loving relationship (and engaged) .... a month after I landed she dropped the bomb on me ... I since have received my PR card in late September 2013 and am now just wondering if there's any more I should be doing to notify CIC...

The one time I met up with her face-to-face she said she was going to call CIC as she didn't want to "get in trouble" with them .... I was briefly worried it could affect me in some way but from reading your posts it seems I am in the clear and don't need to worry about it.

Thanks again guys, yeah it sux and I'm upset about it... but I'm also not the malicious type and to be honest I'm just happy I found out before we got married. She'll get her own one day.

*On a side note: if I needed to go on welfare (if I was injured say) would I need to notify them then? How would it affect her (and myself) if I did?

Stoked to be in Canada a free man. All the best and have a nice day :)

Mountain Life

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
SA, AIP and DM May 21th, 2015 Landed: June 12, 2015
MountainLife said:
Hi and thankyou all for your replies, sorry for the delay in getting back.

Thankyou Wowsers for your concerns, to clarify exactly how it went down, I received my COPR form in May 2013 and landed in July 2013, at which both times to my knowledge I was still in a loving relationship (and engaged) .... a month after I landed she dropped the bomb on me ... I since have received my PR card in late September 2013 and am now just wondering if there's any more I should be doing to notify CIC...

The one time I met up with her face-to-face she said she was going to call CIC as she didn't want to "get in trouble" with them .... I was briefly worried it could affect me in some way but from reading your posts it seems I am in the clear and don't need to worry about it.

Thanks again guys, yeah it sux and I'm upset about it... but I'm also not the malicious type and to be honest I'm just happy I found out before we got married. She'll get her own one day.

*On a side note: if I needed to go on welfare (if I was injured say) would I need to notify them then? How would it affect her (and myself) if I did?

Stoked to be in Canada a free man. All the best and have a nice day :)

Mountain Life
hi,

If you will go on welfare for the next three years,your ex-Common-Law will have to pay back the government. You have to read the undertaking that she/he signed and it listed there, that your partner will be responsible for you for three years.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm sure that nobody really wants you to claim some sort of Government assistance, simply to get back at your former partner. If you end up needing legitimate help, then by all means take whatever you are entitled to, without sending any bad energy her way.

People enter our lives for a reason...a season...or a lifetime.

She was in your life to open a new door for you. Your life in Canada!

Good luck!