+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - How many of you have applied and received it successfully?

kunishsa

Oct 30, 2012
LPS said:
Wait until your work permit has less than four months remaining, and you have received your AOR. If your AOR is only ten days away, then you will have more than enough time to apply for the BOWP before your current permit expires.
Thanks for your reply. My situation is little different. Let me explain. My current WP validity is more than 4 months. BOWP has unfortunately became a mandate for all of us for our survival here in Canada.

We all work for an employer here in Canada working for a major banking client. The bank has decided not to keep any more LMO guys as their contractors from 1st Jan, 2014. My employer was forced to give a change of status for all his employees to the bank. So the status change of the current LMO guys into ICT / BOWP / PR would make them continue their stay in Canada. In a sense, we all should produce a status change before 20th December, 2013. I will be safe if VO agrees to give a positive BOWP. I am worried because my current WP is valid for more than 4 months, actually it is valid until November, 2014.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
kunishsa said:
Thanks for your reply. My situation is little different. Let me explain. My current WP validity is more than 4 months. BOWP has unfortunately became a mandate for all of us for our survival here in Canada.

We all work for an employer here in Canada working for a major banking client. The bank has decided not to keep any more LMO guys as their contractors from 1st Jan, 2014. My employer was forced to give a change of status for all his employees to the bank. So the status change of the current LMO guys into ICT / BOWP / PR would make them continue their stay in Canada. In a sense, we all should produce a status change before 20th December, 2013. I will be safe if VO agrees to give a positive BOWP. I am worried because my current WP is valid for more than 4 months, actually it is valid until November, 2014.
There seems to be a few of these cases - people whose contracts are cancelled way earlier than originally planned, and they're stranded here on a closed work permit that doesn't expire for ages.

I believe you should apply for a BOWP anyway, and with a great explanation letter and a sympathetic visa officer, you may get lucky. At least one other guy on here has done this successfully, by explaining that he was made redundant and had no other way to work.

It's worth noting that the operational bulletin 485A, which describes who is eligible for BOWP, was recently amended, and part of the new text restates in more explicit terms that an applicant with more than four months remaining is not eligible. So I don't know if that reduces the VO's discretion.

You should try to find a new employer and LMO, of course, if that's a realistic option.

The BOWP is indeed intended to help permanent residence applicants who would otherwise be unable to work in Canada and be forced to leave, but it clearly hasn't been designed for everyone's circumstances.

kunishsa

Oct 30, 2012
Yeah. I am planning to send with clear explanation of my situation and wait for my fortunes. It would be very difficult for me to shift permanently from Canada along with my family for a period of 8-10 months and again come back with family once I receive my PR. But if this is what is written inevitable on my fate, do I have an alternative :)

bhavik_ec

Star Member
Jul 16, 2013
Hi,

I would say my case was similar. My LMO locked WP is expiring on July 2014 and My Project work is ending on December 31st 2013 after which I have to go back. I had my AOR received on August 2013 and So, on September 18th, I applied for BOWP explaining my situation.

Waiting for the reply from CIC. I am tense as I don’t know what’s going to happen as I am not fully qualified. Hope, Officer would understand my situation and grant OWP. Called Customer Care just now and they said that they are working on Sep 17th application currently and wait for 1-2 weeks !!!

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
bhavik_ec said:
Hi,

I would say my case was similar. My LMO locked WP is expiring on July 2014 and My Project work is ending on December 31st 2013 after which I have to go back. I had my AOR received on August 2013 and So, on September 18th, I applied for BOWP explaining my situation.

Waiting for the reply from CIC. I am tense as I don't know what's going to happen as I am not fully qualified. Hope, Officer would understand my situation and grant OWP. Called Customer Care just now and they said that they are working on Sep 17th application currently and wait for 1-2 weeks !!!
Lol ignore the call centre - youll hear shortly - this week they should be tackling applications from around 25th so yours will be well on the way

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
AruninBC said:
Hello fellows,

Bowp applied Online-sep 20th, 2013
In Canada approval email - Oct 26, 2013 (email letter said 'A secured hard copy has been mailed to u, u'll receive in 2-4 wk, if not call CIC)
Hard copy was in my mailbox - Oct 28, 2013 ::)

LOTS of thanks for this forum and the members :-*
That's good news! Congrats!
That was two days in total then and not 2-4 weeks, eh? lol ???

kunishsa

Oct 30, 2012
AruninBC said:
Hello fellows,

In Canada approval email - Oct 26, 2013 (email letter said 'A secured hard copy has been mailed to u, u'll receive in 2-4 wk, if not call CIC)

Hey Congrats. Can you confirm one thing please? Was your current WP valid for more than 4 months? Any help in this matter is really appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
Kunishsa

bhavik_ec

Star Member
Jul 16, 2013
AruninBC said:
Hello fellows,

Not sure whats the matter with my case....Applied on Sep 18th, no response so far. Let me wait till tomorrow and see what date they update on portal.

Snehith

Jul 25, 2013
Hurray!!!!

Applied on 17th September for BOWP.

Got online approval on 29th October.

I have more than 4 months left in my current closed work permit.

Waiting for the hard copy

Regards,

Deepthi

bhavik_ec

Star Member
Jul 16, 2013
Snehith said:
Hurray!!!!

Applied on 24th September for BOWP.

Regards,

Deepthi
That's the good news Deepthi....Congrts...You should be getting WP sometime this week (Mostly tomorrow).... As you had 4+ months, your case gives some positive hopes to my case.

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
Hi my WP expires in Jun 2014. Can I apply for an open work permit now? I am contemplating job change and cannot do it on the current closed WP. I applied for PR in Sept and haven't received the AOR yet. Appreciate any inputs on this.Thanks

kunishsa

Oct 30, 2012
Snehith said:
Hurray!!!!

Applied on 17th September for BOWP.

Regards,

Deepthi
Congrats Deepthi. Your BOWP case is giving me some hope. But still I want to know someone who has got the BOWP with more than 4 months validity and applied on or after 19th September, 2013 because that is when the 485A was officially announced.

Anyway congrats to you.

Regards,
Kunishsa

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
kunishsa said:
Congrats Deepthi. Your BOWP case is giving me some hope. But still I want to know someone who has got the BOWP with more than 4 months validity and applied on or after 19th September, 2013 because that is when the 485A was officially announced.

Anyway congrats to you.

Regards,
Kunishsa
See two posts above yours.....

kunishsa

Oct 30, 2012
lpc19800 said:
See two posts above yours.....
But there was no mentioning about the current WP validity. I had asked for that information. Could you please redirect me to the person who has got BOWP with more than 4 months of current WP validity and applied after 19th September, 2013.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
Kunishsa

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
kunishsa said:
But there was no mentioning about the current WP validity. I had asked for that information. Could you please redirect me to the person who has got BOWP with more than 4 months of current WP validity and applied after 19th September, 2013.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
Kunishsa
Snehith applied 24 sept and has 4+ months
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bowp-how-many-of-you-have-applied-and-received-it-successfully-t139027.0.html;msg2674783#msg2674783