24-02-2015
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
25-01-2016
LANDED..........
15-02-2016
IUser said:
Does this apply if spouse is outside Canada? I heard from one of CIC agent that I cannot apply for SOWP if he is not currently in Canada. Just want to ensure if that is true.
There is no such requirement as far as I know. It's also possible (or at least it was last year) to get the SOWP at the border when your spouse arrives in Canada (a little bit more risky), but only after you got your new BOWP.

AEE11

Jan 26, 2013
Could anyone please help with this...

Regarding the spouse Visitor Visa, When I apply for spouse Visitor Visa do I need to show CIC that she will be staying for only some time in Canada and will leave after 6 months or it doesn't matter for CIC and they provide visitor Visa for the duration of my BOWP is valid?

jes_ON said:
Only the Principal Applicant (you) is eligible for a BOWP.

But, she may be eligible for a spouse's open work permit, based on your BOWP.

She has to apply for her own open work permit in her country.

She would need a copy of your old BOWP and the application for the new one (or, yes, it would be easier to wait until you got the new BOWP, but not strictly necessary).

She would also need proof of your employment (letter of employment, recent paystub) in a skilled occupation (NOC O, A, or B).

Alternatively, she could apply for a visitor's visa, and then once she is here, she can apply for the SOWP from inside Canada.

c2h5oh

Apr 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Doc's Request.
21-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
Med's Request
11-02-2015
Med's Done....
24-02-2015
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
25-01-2016
LANDED..........
15-02-2016
AEE11 said:
Could someone please help with above request please...
If you have a BOWP valid for over 6 months why don't you get a SOWP for your spouse (you can get on entry!) ?

But to answer your original question about visitor visa: CIC may (but most likely won't) ask for such proof. Return plane ticket is enough.

AEE11

Jan 26, 2013
c2h5oh said:
If you have a BOWP valid for over 6 months why don't you get a SOWP for your spouse (you can get on entry!) ?

But to answer your original question about visitor visa: CIC may (but most likely won't) ask for such proof. Return plane ticket is enough.
@c2h5oh Thanks for the reply. Can you please explain what do you mean by "SOWP for your spouse (you can get on entry!) "

I asked about visiting visa for spouse as it is processed more fast

c2h5oh

Apr 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Doc's Request.
21-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
Med's Request
11-02-2015
Med's Done....
24-02-2015
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
25-01-2016
LANDED..........
15-02-2016
AEE11 said:
@c2h5oh Thanks for the reply. Can you please explain what do you mean by "SOWP for your spouse (you can get on entry!) "
If you have a BOWP that expires in more than 6 months you can get SOWP (same as BOWP, except for a spouse of applicant - ) at the border when he/she arrives - it is valid for as long as your BOWP and not only allows the spouse to enter Canada, but also work in Canada. More info here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=199&t=17
Bonus: if you are employed your spouse will be able to get medical coverage based on SOWP and your BOWP.

As for visitor visa CIC may want return ticket as a proof that the spouse will leave when her visitor visa expires.

RamboJ

Aug 5, 2015
Hi all,

Can someone please advice...

I am on Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) now. And our (mine and my spouse) PR application is under process.. Medicals are done. My spouse is in India.. At this time, Is it okay to apply for visitor visa for my spouse?? OR I need to wait for our PR application to finalize...?? Please advice...

Thanks.

cec2014kum

Star Member
Apr 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
AUG 2016
RamboJ said:
Hi all,

Can someone please advice...

I am on Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) now. And our (mine and my spouse) PR application is under process.. Medicals are done. My spouse is in India.. At this time, Is it okay to apply for visitor visa for my spouse?? OR I need to wait for our PR application to finalize...?? Please advice...

Thanks.

If you have a BOWP valid for over 6 months why don't you get a Spouse Open Work Permit for your spouse (you can get on entry!) ? IF she is in India, you guys need to apply for her visa to Delhi first.

RamboJ

Aug 5, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, she is in India. When you say apply visa from India, do you mean to apply for visiting visa? After visiting visa, can she SOWP at the port of entry?? I do have BOWP valid for the next 11 months. Our both PR applications are in process, done with medicals... If she applies for visiting visa, do they process it??

Please advice. Thank you.

RamboJ

Aug 5, 2015
I have Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP).. it is given only to people who are currently in Canada... Based on this, my spouse can apply for her Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) but I think she should be in Canada as well.... not sure.... Anyone knows about this?

And for her visiting visa from India, how much funds I need to show ? Is it okay to show in my bank account or it has to be from her account?

Anyone, please let me know. It would be really helpful.

Thank you.

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
spouse doesnt need to be in Canada to apply for spousal work permit.. my spouse was in pakistan and we applied for her spousal wp online.. u do not need to apply for visit visa separately.. just apply for spousal wp and save $$ on visit visa.. once spousal wp is approve, spuose will automatically get a visit visa stamped on the passport..

RamboJ said:
I have Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP).. it is given only to people who are currently in Canada... Based on this, my spouse can apply for her Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) but I think she should be in Canada as well.... not sure.... Anyone knows about this?

And for her visiting visa from India, how much funds I need to show ? Is it okay to show in my bank account or it has to be from her account?

Anyone, please let me know. It would be really helpful.

Thank you.

cec2014kum

Star Member
Apr 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
AUG 2016
I applied bowp and sowp together online on 1st week of may. Still waiting for the approval. Processing time is 20 days only?

does applying BOWP and SOWP together changes the processing time ??

secretbridge

Dec 13, 2016
Hi,

I got OINP nomination letter and applied for PR on 15-Dec-2016 (received eAPR receipt i.e. I guess so called AOR in 10 mins). My post graduation work permit is expiring on 2-Jan-2016 including my spouse work permit.

I am applying for BOWP online. For this please help me to fill certain questions as follows:

1) For questionnaires, Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada? Yes or No ?

2)For form 5710, Have you been issued a certificate under the provincial nominee program ?Yes or No ?

3) For form 5710 of spouse, Have you been issued a certificate under the provincial nominee program ? Yes or No ?

I will really appreciate your help.

Mar 18, 2023
Hello,
I've gotten an invitation for express entry PR. I've kept my spouse as non-accompanying and she is here in Canada. I'm applying for BOWP, is my spouse eligible for that or she just have to leave Canada?

Can anyone please help me out?

Thank you.