+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

born in canada, what do I need to go back

LeavingUS

Jun 28, 2006
Hello everyone,
I was born in Toronto in 1973, in 1983 I became a permanent resident of the US. I am now married to a US citizen and we are hoping to move to Vancouver right away. What do we need to cross the border? I am still a citizen, right?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

LeavingUS said:
Hello everyone,
I was born in Toronto in 1973, in 1983 I became a permanent resident of the US. I am now married to a US citizen and we are hoping to move to Vancouver right away. What do we need to cross the border? I am still a citizen, right?
You are, but you are going to have to either sponsor your spouse in Canada or prior to going. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/index.html Note that if your spouse is admitted and you sponsor in Canada s/he will not be able to work or study until the Approval in Principle about 7-9 months into the process. You also can submit the application while residing in Canada, but have it processed in Buffalo, which may be quicker, but again no work/study until PR received.

PMM

_Chris

Jan 18, 2007
You will have to do a lot of research to find out how it will work. Do you have dual citizenship or did you give up your Canadian rights? My cousin was born in England and moved to Canada and kept his legal citizenship in both countries. Their will be a lot of work involved to make a move such as this.

RandomUser514

Mar 17, 2023
Quebec City
Hello everyone,

Hey, did you cross the border? How was your experience ? Please keep us posted