+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Born Canadian living abroad, wants to get Canadian passport for my children

Anders

Jul 4, 2013
Hi, I was born in Canada. But for the last few years I have been living in Trinidad and Tobago. I had three children in Trinidad ages 6,5, and 16 months. I want to go back home but immigration here says that my children aren't eligible for a visa to leave that I would have to apply for Canadian passports for them. I recently heard that I have to apply for their Canadian citizenship first before I can apply for their passports. Is that true or can I use my Canadian status to get their passports. Thanks for the responses

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

caipsfasttracker

Jun 4, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Anders,

Excellent question! I have included the steps below for your review from Canadian consulate in USA. Disregard US documentation. If you need any further help let me know :)

For persons born outside Canada to a Canadian parent after 1 January 1947

The processing time for this application is roughly 12 - 14 MONTHS. Further delays may be incurred by incomplete applications, missing documents, unacceptable photographs, etc. Processing times are subject to change based upon the volume of applications. For the most up to date information on processing times, please see the website for Citizenship & Immigration Canada .

Application Form

You must complete a form CIT0001, “Application for a Citizenship Certificate (Proof of Citizenship) Under Section 3." Applications may be downloaded at the official website for Citizenship & Immigration Canada.

Required Documents

Note these things about the required documentation listed below:

1) If this application is for your first citizenship certificate, you must provide originals or notarized copies of all the documents. (See more about notarized copies on our FAQ page.)

2) If supporting documents are not in English or French you must supply a translation and an affidavit from the person who completed the translation.

3) If you mail us original documents, they will be returned to you via regular mail. (See more about how to submit your application on our FAQ page.)

Applicant’s birth certificate. Parents’ names must be indicated on the certificate, and the certificate must be issued by a municipal or state authority. A hospital birth certificate or baptismal certificate is not acceptable for this purpose.
Two pieces of personal identification for the APPLICANT; this is required even of babies and children. Examples of documents that may be used for children are: passport, US health insurance card, US Social Security card, US immunization record, banking record, US school record. Additional examples of ID for adults are a driving license or state-issued ID card.
Canadian parent’s birth certificate if born in Canada or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship if born abroad. Please note that a Canadian passport is NOT acceptable for this purpose. If Canadian parent was born in the province of Québec, the birth certificate must have been issued AFTER January 1, 1994 by the Directeur de L’état Civil. For further information about and/or to download an application for a new QC birth certificate, please visit the website for the QC Directeur de l’état civil. If you need a birth certificate from another province, find the proper contact info on our “Important Links” page.
Canadian parent’s US Alien Registration Card, US visa, or US Naturalization Certificate.
Applicant’s marriage certificate if applicable. Supply only if the applicant is using a surname (last name) that is different from the surname on the birth certificate as a result of marriage.
Photos

Please provide two photographs in accordance with the photograph specifications.

Please note that children (including newborns) from birth to 13 years of age do not require the signature strip on the photograph. You may submit photographs as outlined on the specification sheet with a blank signature strip, OR you may submit two US-style passport photos which we will then cut to size.

In all cases, the name of the photographer or studio, the studio address, the date the photos were taken, and the name of the person appearing in the photo MUST be indicated on the back of the photographs.

If you would like some suggestions of studios that are familiar with the Canadian citizenship photo specifications please click on the button called “Photography Studios” in the left hand menu bar of this page.

Fee

The fee for this application is US$75. We will accept payment in the form of cash or a money order made payable to The Receiver General for Canada. We CANNOT accept personal checks, debit cards, or credit cards.