+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Birth certificate translation

mariano5

Feb 23, 2022
My wife is Korean (now an American Citizen). She is applying for spousal sponsorship here in Canada under me.
Her birth certificate is of course in Korean so we will have a copy of it sent here, then get it translated into English here in Canada. It says if we do this than we don't need to send the original copy, so I assume we just sent the translated copy (certified by translator of course)? just want to make sure

Thanks

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
My wife is Korean (now an American Citizen). She is applying for spousal sponsorship here in Canada under me.
Her birth certificate is of course in Korean so we will have a copy of it sent here, then get it translated into English here in Canada. It says if we do this than we don't need to send the original copy, so I assume we just sent the translated copy (certified by translator of course)? just want to make sure

Thanks
When I last saw the rules, a year ago or so, all documents can be copies (colored) unless otherwise IRCC requests originals specifically. Best to wait for confirmation from someone else on the forum just in case.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Thanks
YOu'll send a certified/notarized copy plus the certified translation. A proper translator will help you get this right.

mariano5

Feb 23, 2022
YOu'll send a certified/notarized copy plus the certified translation. A proper translator will help you get this right.
So when we get the copy sent here from Korea, we need to get it notarized in Canada? Or I guess it will have been notarized in Korea at the time of creation.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So when we get the copy sent here from Korea, we need to get it notarized in Canada? Or I guess it will have been notarized in Korea at the time of creation.
No, you'll need the original to get a certified copy.

You really should get the certified / notarized copy plus translation done in the same place - things may get confused if you try to separate these steps between jurisdictions.