+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hi all,
I have a question about the police certificate. In the citizenship application checklist, it says that if you have been in any country for more than 183 days, you should submit your police certificate.
If I want to get mine from US, it takes about 10 weeks. Do you think, is it wise to submit my application without the police certificate?
Have you heard of any one submitting their citizenship application with out the police certificate?
If it is required, why would it be wise to submit without it?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi all,
I have a question about the police certificate. In the citizenship application checklist, it says that if you have been in any country for more than 183 days, you should submit your police certificate.
If I want to get mine from US, it takes about 10 weeks. Do you think, is it wise to submit my application without the police certificate?
Have you heard of any one submitting their citizenship application with out the police certificate?
No, it is not wise to submit an incomplete application. Generally an incomplete application will be returned to the applicant.

There have been some anecdotal reports of applicants who failed to include a police certificate when they should have, and the applications were nonetheless put into process . . . and then later they received the request to submit a police certificate (for the one report I recall more clearly, as I recall the request followed the interview). This tips the application process off the routine processing track and probably results in a delay significantly longer than it will take to obtain a U.S. clearance. (For many, the U.S. tends to provide the clearance in way less time than their website says. I suppose this probably varies considerably.)

What I do not recall clearly, but vaguely recall, is that I think in these reports the applicant did not check "yes" to item 6.M. but their travel history revealed that they had been in another country more than 183 days in the relevant four years. Thus the completeness check would not have caught the failure to include the police certificate. This is, of course, a significant discrepancy and could even be construed to be misrepresentation.

In any event, as usual, as almost always: When in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.

In other words, get and submit the clearance with the application.

(Side note: for the U.S. this is indeed a bit frustrating since we know that as part of the RCMP and GCMS background checks, the applicant is screened against U.S. criminal records databases -- virtually on a par with the background screening for any Canadian criminal history.)

By the way: Waiting and thereby having a bigger margin is almost always a wise thing to do. Three more months should be a decent buffer.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
It is required , but I should wait for 3 more months, and I don't think waiting is a wise decision.
waiting for 3 more months and submit a complete package (as required) vs. submitting an incomplete package and having it returned to you after __ months (most likely >3 months), and you think which one is a wise decision?

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
No, it is not wise to submit an incomplete application. Generally an incomplete application will be returned to the applicant.

There have been some anecdotal reports of applicants who failed to include a police certificate when they should have, and the applications were nonetheless put into process . . . and then later they received the request to submit a police certificate (for the one report I recall more clearly, as I recall the request followed the interview). This tips the application process off the routine processing track and probably results in a delay significantly longer than it will take to obtain a U.S. clearance. (For many, the U.S. tends to provide the clearance in way less time than their website says. I suppose this probably varies considerably.)

What I do not recall clearly, but vaguely recall, is that I think in these reports the applicant did not check "yes" to item 6.M. but their travel history revealed that they had been in another country more than 183 days in the relevant four years. Thus the completeness check would not have caught the failure to include the police certificate. This is, of course, a significant discrepancy and could even be construed to be misrepresentation.

In any event, as usual, as almost always: When in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.

In other words, get and submit the clearance with the application.

(Side note: for the U.S. this is indeed a bit frustrating since we know that as part of the RCMP and GCMS background checks, the applicant is screened against U.S. criminal records databases -- virtually on a par with the background screening for any Canadian criminal history.)

By the way: Waiting and thereby having a bigger margin is almost always a wise thing to do. Three more months should be a decent buffer.
We moved to Canada 3yrs back, before that we were in USA.

So, in the relevant 5 years we were in USA >183 days(2years).

That means we have to get Police clearance from USA before we apply?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
We moved to Canada 3yrs back, before that we were in USA.

So, in the relevant 5 years we were in USA >183 days(2years).

That means we have to get Police clearance from USA before we apply?
If your police clearance for PR didn't cover the 2 years you mentioned, then you will have to get it

Canaussie7

Jun 16, 2017
Please excuse my stupidity (I blame baby brain), but on language requirement if I completed high school in an English only country (Australia), is that sufficient? I assume I just submit my High School Certificate? My husband has a tertiary degree that he can submit.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
A lot of our questions will be answered in couple of hours.

Today we will know exact date when the law will come in Force! If no date is provided it means its effective on the day it receives royal assent, i.e. Today!

Please check this link for interpretation:
http://www.ourcommons.ca/About/Compendium/LegislativeProcess/c_d_comingforcelegislation-e.htm

"A bill becomes law after it has been passed by both Houses in the same form, but the act comes into force either when it receives Royal Assent, if no date of commencement is provided for in the act, or on the date provided for in the act."

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
What about the Tax filing requirement? My son who is 19 now has only filed 2 tax return but he has completed the 3/5 physical presence requirement. So does he have to wait till he files next years tax return to apply for citizenship?

daviddock

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
Category........
Citizenship

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance information used by CIC staff. It is posted on the CIC website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

The Program Delivery Instructions (PDIs) are currently being updated. The posting of all updated Citizenship Program PDIs is expected to be completed by June 30.

Reactions: MarceauBletard

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
Hi guys just I want tell you today at 19:00 pm bill C6 will sing for royal assent so waiting for update soon

Reactions: 1986rich

VFX_man

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
What about the Tax filing requirement? My son who is 19 now has only filed 2 tax return but he has completed the 3/5 physical presence requirement. So does he have to wait till he files next years tax return to apply for citizenship?
Thinking your best bet is to talk with an immigration lawyer as soon as the dust starts to settle. Have already booked ours to get in the que . . . know you can do it all on your own [in theory] but I want to leave it to the "professionals" who hopefully know all of the "gotchas".

my 2 cents

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Citizenship

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance information used by CIC staff. It is posted on the CIC website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

The Program Delivery Instructions (PDIs) are currently being updated. The posting of all updated Citizenship Program PDIs is expected to be completed by June 30.
That's amazing news, maybe it hints at an application on the 30th