14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
hey guys,

can anyone explain the part the says new applications only on this link
i became a PR in jan 2015 and been living in canada since 2003
does the new law apply to me. 3/5 and counting 1 year from before i became a PR?

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1111379240993&ca=8f8f53b5-08e2-4bae-b3c6-773f01f87755

thanks,
Yes, if you are living as a work or student visa. Visitor visas should not be considered as we have seen in some previous notes submitted.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012

Gigo

Jun 19, 2017
What's so different about refugee? Unless they are given PR from day one, otherwise it's the same as everybody else on temporary visa (student, work, etc.), and it's not too hard to check the text of C-6 about this
Arrival date 04-dec-2013
PR 14-April-2015
When I use the calculator they asked for the category (work, study, refugee ,etc..)
By selecting student it do the calculations
For pre-PR as half day
When I select refugee it doesn't consider any periods before PR!!
That's why I'm asking

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
Arrival date 04-dec-2013
PR 14-April-2015
When I use the calculator they asked for the category (work, study, refugee ,etc..)
By selecting student it do the calculations
For pre-PR as half day
When I select refugee it doesn't consider any periods before PR!!
That's why I'm asking

Which calculator are you using?

As per the new Law, refugees (protected person), temporary residents are all same, for the purpose of calculating pre-PR time. Please see below original text:

(7) Section 5 of the Act is amended by adding the following after subsection (1):

Length of physical presence — calculation

(1.‍001) For the purpose of subparagraph (1)‍(c)‍(i), the length of physical presence is calculated in the following manner:
(a) for every day during which the person was physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act before becoming a permanent resident, the person accumulates half of a day of physical presence, up to a maximum of 365 days; and

(b) for every day during which the person has been physically present in Canada since becoming a permanent resident, the person accumulates one day of physical presence.

Reactions: Gigo

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
I have some questions. Last 6 months ,I was staying in randon places (Hotels, friends and Homeless) and working here and there for cash . Working now in a good place for last 30 days. I dont even need those 6 months to fulfill my residency but I know I have to declare everything.
1. What to declare?
2. Is that going to be peoblem when I apply for citizenship?

You have to report everything which is asked in the form (even if you do not need it to count towards).. Do not leave any gap periods even if it is one day. Otherwise your application will be delayed.

I would say for these six months you can use your mailing address, which may be the address on your govt issued ID card.

Rid879

Jun 16, 2017
Hi guys
Does pre PR time as a visitor count?
My wife was on a visitor visa for three and a half years prior PR
Your help is greatly appreciated

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
FAQ # 1

Question : Is the Pre-PR time spent in Canada as a visitor count towards residency requirements?

Answer: Yes, it does, 1 day spend in Canada = counts ½ days. You can count to 365 full days maximum.

Why it counts?

Reference from the text of Law:

(a) for every day during which the person was physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act before becoming a permanent resident, the person accumulates half of a day of physical presence, up to a maximum of 365 days.

Definition of Temporary resident:
The classes of Temporary Resident Documents are as follows:

• Temporary Student - study permit (also IMM1208),
  • Temporary Worker - work permit (also IMM 1102),
  • Temporary Visitor - visitor record (also IMM 1097),
  • Temporary Resident Permit holder or Visit Visa
For more clarity with respect to why visitor is a temporary resident for the period up to the date on the stamp on their passport. Please see below link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=209&top=17

SufferInCan

Star Member
Oct 7, 2016
FAQ # 1

Question : Is the Pre-PR time spent in Canada as a visitor count towards residency requirements?

Answer: Yes, it does, 1 day spend in Canada = counts ½ days. You can count to 365 full days maximum.

Why it counts?

(a) for every day during which the person was physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act before becoming a permanent resident, the person accumulates half of a day of physical presence, up to a maximum of 365 days.

For more clarity with respect to why visitor is a temporary resident for the period up to the date on the stamp on their passport. Please see below link:

Please I have a question about the pre-PR status, time spent as a student. If I counted 729 days as a student. Meaning they are counted as 364.5 days. Do they count as 364 or rounded to 365 ?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Please I have a question about the pre-PR status, time spent as a student. If I counted 729 days as a student. Meaning they are counted as 364.5 days. Do they count as 364 or rounded to 365 ?
Is it really worth checking? it's not like you are in the middle of the Olympic games and trying to break some record so every second counts... this is just 12 hours, it could easily be delayed (or avoided) by going to the post office at specific times...

Reactions: nofrills

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
Round it down to 364 days, just to be on safe side.

On a side note; the day you came to Canada also counts as full 1 day, even if your plane landed after 12:00 pm (noon) on that day! :)

Reactions: SufferInCan

mazamilam

Jan 26, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11/05/2015
Doc's Request.
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
11/05/2015
IELTS Request
Done 8.5
Med's Request
Upfront Medicals
Med's Done....
06-04-2015
Passport Req..
24/07/2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/08/2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2012
FAQ # 1

Why it counts?

Thank you. She can apply a few months earlier if the visitor status is counted.

Mah2

Jan 31, 2013
Hi all,
I have a question about the police certificate. In the citizenship application checklist, it says that if you have been in any country for more than 183 days, you should submit your police certificate.
If I want to get mine from US, it takes about 10 weeks. Do you think, is it wise to submit my application without the police certificate?
Have you heard of any one submitting their citizenship application with out the police certificate?

Rid879

Jun 16, 2017
So if she renewed her visitor document until she was eventually granted a PR (around4 yrs on a visitor permit) will that count as up to 1 yr pre PR credit?
Thanks in advance guys