+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

amax

Jun 25, 2014
Guys, this thread has been quite informative and I want to thank you all for keeping the rest of us in the loop. I am eligible on June 12 under the old rules of Citizenship (4 of 6 etc.). Do you think after the discussion on Monday, they may put the new rules in place right away? Or will there be a wait time.

My aim was to wait a week before I put in my application but if the rules are about to change and before they put a stay on everything, I'd rather get my papers in.

Any thoughts are welcome! Thank again.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
received on : 10TH NOV, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
It's ironic that I'm the one being screaming at for supposedly being misinformed and emotional after calmly stating my opinion that this law looks certain to not pass before July 1st and likely to go dormant after parliament is back in session. Seems to me that you're the ones being unreasonable about all this.
yes, the bill might not pass before Canada Day and might move onto Fall session, but explain to me why it will go dormant in fall.. any quote from ministers.. any info.. or is that pure speculation... you might say things calmly.. but that does not mean you are right... as of right now c6 is on Monday's POB for the HoC..
http://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/house/latest/projected-business

so i beg your pardon, but your predictions seem to be falling a bit short..
call it 5 since the bill needs to be knocked back to the house at the end).
no the bill does not need to go back to the house if senate accepts the reformed amendments...

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Guys, this thread has been quite informative and I want to thank you all for keeping the rest of us in the loop. I am eligible on June 12 under the old rules of Citizenship (4 of 6 etc.). Do you think after the discussion on Monday, they may put the new rules in place right away? Or will there be a wait time.

My aim was to wait a week before I put in my application but if the rules are about to change and before they put a stay on everything, I'd rather get my papers in.

Any thoughts are welcome! Thank again.

Most of us would wish to be you right now :)

This bill is not your problem by any means. On the contrary, people like you would benefit more from c-6 because it will cancel out the the constraints of the current rules, while enjoying faster processing. And no, should the bill become law by july 1, it will take some time to come into effect. So, you good!

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
Not looking good, HoC is going to amend or disagree a lot of Senate amendments, there will surely be a lot of debates in HoC and the bill will definitely be sent back to Senate. Just like I predicted a while ago, ping-pong between the two houses has started.

Full text of the Minister's proposal:
http://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/house/sitting-192/order-notice/page-13

My guess it will probably be sent back to Senate just before the summer break. Then Senate will start to debate it again from fall/winter. It appears to be deja vu from last year.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Not looking good, HoC is going to amend or disagree a lot of Senate amendments, there will surely be a lot of debates in HoC and the bill will definitely be sent back to Senate. Just like I predicted a while ago, ping-pong between the two houses has started.

http://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/house/sitting-192/order-notice/page-13
rarely does the HoC simply accept Senate amendments, so if anything it would have been surprising the other way. Same happened to C-7, C-4, C-37. They all followed the same steps: HOC finds compromise, Senate accepts compromise, done.

Not saying everything will work out this way, but this is the most common road, so there is absolutely nothing surprising or unexpected in this so far.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013

My guess it will probably be sent back to Senate just before the summer break. Then Senate will start to debate it again from fall. It appears to be deja vu from last year.

It's probable. But it's also possible that the Senate agrees with the amendments. Let's wait and see!

Reactions: lilen

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015

lt was expected.. all the senators and MPs had told us via twitter, since mid MAY, that the bill will be back to the senate, which is only possible, if HOC did not agree with the amendments.. whether this will be to and fro, only time will tell. historically, in more than 90% cases, the senate accepts the HOC's amendments to the senate's messages if the third reading of the bill has been completed in both the chambers(as is the case for c6). so please wait a bit more. the fact that c6 is on monday's POB, gives an entire week for the HOC to work on it.. that is actually great news... all the best...

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
rarely does the HoC simply accept Senate amendments, so if anything it would have been surprising the other way. Same happened to C-7, C-4, C-37. They all followed the same steps: HOC finds compromise, Senate accepts compromise, done.

Not saying everything will work out this way, but this is the most common road, so there is absolutely nothing surprising or unexpected in this so far.
spot on, exactly what I was saying.

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Another good news, looks like most of amendments are accepted with some changes in wording. Look at the order paper and notice paper for details!

pkin007

Star Member
May 26, 2017
Another good news, looks like most of amendments are accepted with some changes in wording. Look at the order paper and notice paper for details!
looks like HoC is accepting the Minor and revocation amendments with small changes and rejecting the language age one...as most had been suspecting on the forum all along..IMHO senate shouldn't have an issue agreeing to changes..

vancouverbc2013

Sep 20, 2013
Personally I think at this stage it isn't when will C-6 gets approved, it is more about when the 3/5 will become official.
When C-24 passed, 4/6 was official after a year... I am wishing from the bottom of my heart that wouldn't be the case again (hopefully not even 2-6months) what you guys think?

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
looks like HoC is accepting the Minor and revocation amendments with small changes and rejecting the language age one...as most had been suspecting on the forum all along..IMHO senate shouldn't have an issue agreeing to changes..
I think if amendments are accepted by hoc, then it will not go back to senates