20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Redfield said:
Yeah but I said tourists didn't get credit, which seems to be the same thing you are saying
Yes. It still doesn't change the fact that a temporary worker, student and visitor all have the same "temporary resident" status.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
screech339 said:
Yes. It still doesn't change the fact that a temporary worker, student and visitor all have the same "temporary resident" status.
A visitor does not get a SIN number. I dont know if it differs by case by case but as far as I know, usually before 2014, people on tourist visa couldnt get credit pre PR.
You have to provide tax returns and such to prove residency. So not sure how you would do that for visitors.

random hero

Star Member
Jul 6, 2016
screech339 said:
im not sure what you are talking about ! everyone gets credit because canada border service agency has the check in and out of every person who lands in then leave ! you can even use plane tickets if you got those ! it will support your application ! also any mail received for that person showing an address would help (mail such as insurance policy for visitors) etc...

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
random hero said:
im not sure what you are talking about ! everyone gets credit because canada border service agency has the check in and out of every person who lands in then leave ! you can even use plane tickets if you got those ! it will support your application ! also any mail received for that person showing an address would help (mail such as insurance policy for visitors) etc...
CBSA records record only entries.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
_MK_ said:
A visitor does not get a SIN number. I dont know if it differs by case by case but as far as I know, usually before 2014, people on tourist visa couldnt get credit pre PR.
You have to provide tax returns and such to prove residency. So not sure how you would do that for visitors.
I agree that people on visitor visa are mostly "tourists" however there are a few people who are "legally residing" in Canada under visitor visa, such as spouses / common law who are being sponsored for spousal PR. These people are able to claim their pre-PR credit towards citizenship. As I have illustrated before in my previous post, my wife would have been able to claim pre-PR credit under old 3/4 rule. While she would not hold a SIN, she has proof of being a "temporary resident" no different from worker/student visas.

2 key words in claiming pre-PR credit for citizenship is "actual residency". A tourist would not have proof of this. A spouse / common law on spousal PR sponsorship would have actual residency, no difference from worker / student despite being a "visitor" in Canada. Relying on "entry/exit" stamps does not prove he/she took up legal residency.

Take a look at Jahanara Begum Khan decision.

This was copied from dpenabill's post.

CIC's position is that time visiting Canada prior to establishing an actual residence in Canada does NOT count.

In fact, CIC takes the position that this applies even after becoming a PR, let alone prior to becoming a PR. That is, that time in Canada after landing and becoming a PR does not begin to count unless and until the date the PR established residence . . . time visiting Canada prior to that, even as a PR, does NOT count.

At least some Federal Court justices agree. In particular, just last week Justice Locke specifically agreed in the Jahanara Begum Khan decision. (In the Jahanara Begum Khan case, Justice Locke deducted 18 days from the residency calculation, 18 days spent in Canada approximately a year after she landed, but concluded that she still had enough days after the implicit date actual residence was established.)

Basically, as long as you provide proof of "actual residency" in Canada, you can claim pre-PR credit towards it.

Seen12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
_MK_ said:
A visitor does not get a SIN number.
Students don't get SIN numbers either until they get a work permit or a work visa.
Temporary Residency is when you in Canada temporarily. wether on student, Work or vistors visa.

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
A bit off topic here.
Many of you may have read that Australia and New Zealand have announced tightened regulations for granting PR and Australia has announced they will increase the period of stay for granting citizenship from 3 years to 4 years after becoming a PR.
Canada is therefore going to become increasingly attractive to prospective PRs based on our looser rules.
Is it possible some other new amendments may be proposed at this stage by the Conservatives in view of above ?

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Seen12 said:
Students don't get SIN numbers either until they get a work permit or a work visa.
Temporary Residency is when you in Canada temporarily. wether on student, Work or vistors visa.
Actually not anymore, a study permit holder can now claim a SIN and work as if they had a out of campus work permit, changes were acted around 2014

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Almost_Canadian said:
A bit off topic here.
Many of you may have read that Australia and New Zealand have announced tightened regulations for granting PR and Australia has announced they will increase the period of stay for granting citizenship from 3 years to 4 years after becoming a PR.
Canada is therefore going to become increasingly attractive to prospective PRs based on our looser rules.
Is it possible some other new amendments may be proposed at this stage by the Conservatives in view of above ?
Anythings possible but it's very unlikely. However, if the Liberals aren't voted back in during the next GE, I think we may see C24 again!

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
screech339 said:
I agree that people on visitor visa are mostly "tourists" however there are a few people who are "legally residing" in Canada under visitor visa, such as spouses / common law who are being sponsored for spousal PR. These people are able to claim their pre-PR credit towards citizenship. As I have illustrated before in my previous post, my wife would have been able to claim pre-PR credit under old 3/4 rule. While she would not hold a SIN, she has proof of being a "temporary resident" no different from worker/student visas.

2 key words in claiming pre-PR credit for citizenship is "actual residency". A tourist would not have proof of this. A spouse / common law on spousal PR sponsorship would have actual residency, no difference from worker / student despite being a "visitor" in Canada. Relying on "entry/exit" stamps does not prove he/she took up legal residency.

Take a look at Jahanara Begum Khan decision.

This was copied from dpenabill's post.

CIC's position is that time visiting Canada prior to establishing an actual residence in Canada does NOT count.

In fact, CIC takes the position that this applies even after becoming a PR, let alone prior to becoming a PR. That is, that time in Canada after landing and becoming a PR does not begin to count unless and until the date the PR established residence . . . time visiting Canada prior to that, even as a PR, does NOT count.

At least some Federal Court justices agree. In particular, just last week Justice Locke specifically agreed in the Jahanara Begum Khan decision. (In the Jahanara Begum Khan case, Justice Locke deducted 18 days from the residency calculation, 18 days spent in Canada approximately a year after she landed, but concluded that she still had enough days after the implicit date actual residence was established.)

Basically, as long as you provide proof of "actual residency" in Canada, you can claim pre-PR credit towards it.
My wife was in the same situation. In fact, you do get a "temporary SIN" number that you use for tax purposes because she ended up spending more than 6 months a year. I claimed Tax credit while she was here and have her filing as well as mine to prove it.

Seen12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
Redfield said:
Actually not anymore, a study permit holder can now claim a SIN and work as if they had a out of campus work permit, changes were acted around 2014
Ohh I didn't know.. I came to canada in 2010 on a study permit.. thx for the info

robw

Mar 10, 2014
Article out in the Star today about senate shenanigans

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/04/23/unpredictable-senate-causing-trouble-for-trudeaus-agenda-documents-show.html

Peter Harder, the former senior public servant turned Trudeau’s point man in the Red Chamber, said ministers and their senior staff have invited him to strategy sessions on how best to shepherd bills through the Senate.

Harder said it’s quite a contrast to when he served in the bureaucracy, when governments could count on their senators to push the agenda forward.
Harder has expressed frustration in recent weeks at the Conservatives in the Senate delaying government bills. He released a discussion paper earlier this month on changing Senate rules, with moves he suggested would preserve debate while ensuring the Liberals’ legislation is considered in a timely fashion.

Turns out this is all pretty boy's fault.

Liberals are obviously on our side but they are phenomenally bad at governing. Oh well...another week to go before the big terrorism debate.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
robw said:
Article out in the Star today about senate shenanigans

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/04/23/unpredictable-senate-causing-trouble-for-trudeaus-agenda-documents-show.html

Turns out this is all pretty boy's fault.

Liberals are obviously on our side but they are phenomenally bad at governing. Oh well...another week to go before the big terrorism debate.
Fact is C-6 is still in Big combo with unpredictable stance of "Independent" Senators........

If they(independents) vote for the CON amendment, C-6 is dead after all these efforts....

Trudeau's own appointed senators are opposing his bills.

Hamid khan

Champion Member
Apr 29, 2013
quasar81 said:
Fact is C-6 is still in Big combo with unpredictable stance of "Independent" Senators........

If they(independents) vote for the CON amendment, C-6 is dead after all these efforts....

Trudeau's own appointed senators are opposing his bills.
So do you mean C6 is now hope less

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Hamid khan said:
So do you mean C6 is now hope less
A free advise, for a stress free next week, I would recommend not to follow this forum until May 3rd.