+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Ramik

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
Thanks Tyl92. That absolutely makes sense. Again we are back to the speculation phase on when things will wrap up and which route it will take. I am hopeful (as many other members here) that C-6 will pass and be a law right away but again that is just wishful thinking!

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
I seen some other bills if there are no amendments the results will be reported today - is my assumption correct? the way i see it, it is 50/50 when it comes to amendments, it could equally go either ways - hard to judge

adey786

Jun 29, 2010
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-01-16
Doc's Request.
13-01-16
Nomination.....
08-12-15
AOR Received.
05-01-16
File Transfer...
03-03-16
Med's Done....
13-01-16
Passport Req..
08-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-16
tyl92 said:
There will be other meetings for this committee to review C6 . The last meeting is dedicated to the clause-by-clause study and then to vote.
Next week they are off like always. They will most likely meet again on march 1st and the 2nd .
After the committee is done , then a report( " a message ") is sent to the chamber and there you have two possibilities :

1) if c6 is amended , it goes all the way to the HoC == the house agrees or disagrees with the proposed amendment(s) . After that it is sent back to the senate for third reading . This scenario is very likely to happen , and that will cause delay , considering the pattern from october 2015 until now , and as we know bill c6 was not that popular in the senate . If you just take a look at the senate calendar , you'll notice that it will be very hard to pass it in march since they will only have 8 sessions(days of work) in the whole month of march and 6 sessions in April . It terms of how fast they will proceed , no one can't pronounce on that , they could wrap it up very quickly or very slowly ..

2) if it is not amended , then the message is sent and bill goes to reporting and 3rd reading stage which is very unlikely but who knows .Here in this scenario we may be looking at shorter delays .

monitoring c4 could be a good indicator as to how they will handle it at third reading . If i'm missing something , feel free to correct me .
Got it. Well summarised. Thank you

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
tyl92 said:
1) if c6 is amended , it's reported to the house with amendment, the house will vote on the report with amendment otherwise will adopt the bill without amendment>>>>> then, to the third reading >>>>> if the Senate adopts the bill with amendment, it goes all the way to the HoC == the house agrees or disagrees with the proposed amendment(s) . After that it is sent back to the senate for either acceptance or rejection (on the HoC stand) .
2) if it is not amended , then the message is sent to the HoC following to the reporting and 3rd reading stage which is very unlikely but who knows .Here in this scenario we may be looking at shorter delays .
Well done, a little correction...

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
All of us are assuming what will be the next step, while assumption leads to inaccurate conclusions.

-I think the committee already met and discussed the bill before the last two meeting were held on 15th and 16th of February.
-I also think that their decision isn't based on the witnesses opinion

I see the meetings were very good, all are supporting bill c6

It could pass without amendment, since they are going to vote clause by clause unless libs want to do some amendments.

Julie had some points, she was good and reasonable during her discussion
people at age 55+ will not loose their memory and ability to learn language
Also regarding people who send their families to canada and work aboard they can not apply for citizenship

I can see even some of cons senators support bill C6

Finally, senators are honest and they have very high professional profile. They do not hate immigrants but each one has different opinion

MWM

Star Member
Jun 1, 2014
What happened ? More sittings or what ? If yes when should it be .... and what are the expections on this bill . Thanks

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
monalisa said:
Finally, senators are honest and they have very high professional profile. They do not hate immigrants but each one has different opinion
Except maybe those who have a sexual affair with an underage girl, and happens to be member of this standing committee.

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
When is the next senate/committee meeting on C6 Bill, any idea?

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
MWM said:
What happened ? More sittings or what ? If yes when should it be .... and what are the expections on this bill . Thanks
You can refresh this page every day or every hour if you're really impatient to know:

https://sencanada.ca/en/Committees/SOCI

Seen12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
Agreed

monalisa said:
All of us are assuming what will be the next step, while assumption leads to inaccurate conclusions.

-I think the committee already met and discussed the bill before the last two meeting were held on 15th and 16th of February.

It could pass without amendment, since they are going to vote clause by clause unless libs want to do some amendments.

Also regarding people who send their families to canada and work aboard they can not apply for citizenship

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
monalisa said:

don't think the sessions will change senators' decisions. it is like the rambling debates in the second reading. who changed whom eventually? the votes have been pre-determined. cons will vote nay, and libs and independents elected by TJ will vote yes.

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So is there any realistic possibility of the bill (along with the 4 to 2 years residency requirement) being implemented before the end of this calendar year? How about 2018?

On a side note, I wonder whether anyone pointed out to the honourable conservative senator that in most European countries there is a flat residency requirement (typically 8 years) after which one can directly apply for citizenship (without the intermediate step of permanent residence), unlike in Canada, where one could spend a decade and still not qualify for permanent residence, let alone citizenship, depending on the circumstances. Perhaps someone could have also pointed out to her that for many highly skilled individuals, living in Canada is a compromise with respect to career prospects and financial ambitions: these people choose not to live in countries with better opportunities primarily lured by the ease of immigration in Canada. Canada needs to provide some incentive to highly skilled immigrants, given that it's already a compromise wrt opportunities.

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
Ulysses said:
So is there any realistic possibility of the bill (along with the 4 to 2 years residency requirement) being implemented before the end of this calendar year? How about 2018?

On a side note, I wonder whether anyone pointed out to the honourable conservative senator that in most European countries there is a flat residency requirement (typically 8 years) after which one can directly apply for citizenship (without the intermediate step of permanent residence), unlike in Canada, where one could spend a decade and still not qualify for permanent residence, let alone citizenship, depending on the circumstances. Perhaps someone could have also pointed out to her that for many highly skilled individuals, living in Canada is a compromise with respect to career prospects and financial ambitions: these people choose not to live in countries with better opportunities primarily lured by the ease of immigration in Canada. Canada needs to provide some incentive to highly skilled immigrants, given that it's already a compromise wrt opportunities.
I think maybe the senators would say "perhaps you should have emigrated to that other high earning country?", which I think would be quite a fair point

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
hi guys ,
as predicted they will meet again in march for c6 in committee , got this info through sen omidvar's twitter account (https://twitter.com/ratnaomi/status/832421153536892928). Maybe this can help..
Official scheduling has not been posted yet though.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
tyl92 said:
hi guys ,
as predicted they will meet again in march for c6 in committee , got this info through sen omidvar's twitter account (https://twitter.com/ratnaomi/status/832421153536892928). Maybe this can help..
Official scheduling has not been posted yet though.
with this pace of development, I feel pretty indifferent about when it will pass/whether it will pass, since I will be qualified in less than a year and there's little to no hope this thing will pass/implement within a year