Bill C-6: Senate stage

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
captain74 said:
You miss my point! Absence of opposition wasn't the point in mentioning C24 - rather it was how a determined group can force its way through and call for a vote without endless debate. There is no requirement to allow each member of the the opposition to speak to every reading of every piece of legislation.
You missed my point too :) Cons did not "force" C-24, it was libs who did not use 'delay tactic'.

Regarding "there is no requirement to allow each member..." - you might want to look at Section 6 of the senate rules (here is the link https://sencanada.ca/en/about/procedural-references/rules/6/#C6R21). In particular, the rules 6.1 and 6.3.(d):
#6.1 - "Senators wishing to speak shall rise at their assigned place and, when recognized by the Speaker, shall address the Senators."
#6.3.(d) - "other Senators shall speak for no more than 15 minutes in debate."

Essentially, very senator is given 15+ minutes during the debate.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
Hey said:
Then they must just ask fo the vote..... otherwise this will happen 37 hrs (Cons 37 & Lib 24)
That's what going to happen and the vote will take lace next week, then they will debate and the vote on 3rd reading will take place in a month more more.

Thats why lbs became aggressive today.

Actually cons doing same mistake again, they will be defeated next elections.

Media will be too aggressive tomorrow

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey said:
Then they must just ask fo the vote..... otherwise this will happen 37 hrs (Cons 37 & Lib 24)
They cannot - here is the list of motions that can be moved during the debate (a direct quote from the rules):

"
Except as otherwise provided, during debate on a question, no other motion shall be received unless it is a motion:

(a) to amend the motion under debate;
(b) to refer the motion to a committee;
(c) to put the previous question;
(d) to adjourn the debate;
(e) to adjourn the debate to a certain day; or
(f) to adjourn the Senate.
"

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
vasyok said:
You missed my point too :) Cons did not "force" C-24, it was libs who did not use 'delay tactic'.

Regarding "there is no requirement to allow each member..." - you might want to look at Section 6 of the senate rules (here is the link https://sencanada.ca/en/about/procedural-references/rules/6/#C6R21). In particular, the rules 6.1 and 6.3.(d):
#6.1 - "Senators wishing to speak shall rise at their assigned place and, when recognized by the Speaker, shall address the Senators."
#6.3.(d) - "other Senators shall speak for no more than 15 minutes in debate."

Essentially, very senator is given 15+ minutes during the debate.
Of course once a senator expresses a wishes to speak, they are allowed to speak. However, the debate can, and often is limited. This was done by Harper and his team on several occasions.

When I get a moment, I shall dig out and share the clauses under which the debate may be limited.

Hey

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
I do not understanding nothing!!!
What I know that they just make it law as Cons done 2 yrs back in less than a year C 24 becomes law
I think Libs do not have enough votes for the bill and they just playing around until next election :p :p :p

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
captain74 said:
Of course once a senator expresses a wishes to speak, they are allowed to speak. However, the debate can, and often is limited. This was done by Harper and his team on several occasions.

When I get a moment, I shall dig out and share the clauses under which the debate may be limited.
Further to this - chapters 7 and 9 of the Senate Rules should clarify matters.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
Hey said:
I do not understanding nothing!!!
What I know that they just make it law as Cons done 2 yrs back in less than a year C 24 becomes law
I think Libs do not have enough votes for the bill and they just playing around until next election :p :p :p
even if they come back, libs dominate the senates, they cant introduce any new bill ;D ;)

Stop posting posts like your face :-X

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
folks, this bill has minimal/no hope.

just keep emailing PM and immigration minister to go to Senate and push the bill. No other way.

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
quasar81 said:
folks, this bill has minimal/no hope.

just keep emailing PM and immigration minister to go to Senate and push the bill. No other way.
Not just this bill. Seeing the ineptitude in the senate, I am afraid the government is going to struggle to get anything other than routine (funding and supply etc) bills through the senate!

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
captain74 said:
Not just this bill. Seeing the ineptitude in the senate, I am afraid the government is going to struggle to get anything other than routine (funding and supply etc) bills through the senate!
even the marijuana bill that would soon be introduced , will face severe complications at senate stage .
Supposedly that chamber of sober second tough...

Hey

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
I wonder where is "the incredible" Sen Omidvar the one who offered such silly amendments
She even do not reply on her twitter account!!!

I will keep saying, she offered the amendments just to show JT that she can be the next CIC minister

meayman

Sep 19, 2012
Hey said:
I wonder where is "the incredible" Sen Omidvar the one who offered such silly amendments

I will keep saying, she offered the amendments just to show JT that she can be the next CIC minister
It is clear that you know nothing, not even who introduced the amendment. So please spare us your pessimistic comments!

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
Hey said:

You must be kidding !!

Minister aims to be a Senator but it's odd the vise versa!! :p