+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

j_s_123

Jun 23, 2014
marcus66502 said:
That makes two confirmations of the July 19, 2015 date from CIC today. It's making me feel somewhat better.
Unfortunately, when I called CIC today they told me that it is effective from June 19th, 2015 not July.
This is the second time that I called CIC and both times they told me the same date.

I meet the requirement by July not June :(

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
j_s_123 said:
Unfortunately, when I called CIC today they told me that it is effective from June 19th, 2015 not July.
This is the second time that I called CIC and both times they told me the same date.

do not loose hope. they are saying this because it mentioned after a year. but they forget they mention also approximately so it may take between 10-14 months. if they are sure about the the date they should put it instant of approximately

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
All the CIC were informed through communication with the minister of immigration's office that the effective law will be by June 19, 2015

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
j_s_123 said:
I still make it, even under an effective date of June 19, 2015. I got permanent residence on June 2, 2012 and, other than a couple of same-day trips to the US border city of Buffalo, I have no absences. Since same-day absences don't count, I should be eligible to apply on June 2, 2015.

Of course, I plan to spare no expense to make sure the application package arrives at CIC the next day and that someone on that end signs for it. I'll be damned if I'll let them get away with claiming they did not receive it.

It'll be so much fun to beat CIC to the punch!

:p :p :p

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
marcus66502 said:
I still make it, even under an effective date of June 19, 2015. I got permanent residence on June 2, 2012 and, other than a couple of same-day trips to the US border city of Buffalo, I have no absences. Since same-day absences don't count, I should be eligible to apply on June 2, 2015.

Of course, I plan to spare no expense to make sure the application package arrives at CIC the next day and that someone on that end signs for it. I'll be damned if I'll let them get away with claiming they did not receive it.

It'll be so much fun to beat CIC to the punch!

:p :p :p

Marcus66502, I hoar and hope you get through before they apply the new rules

aarongirl

Jun 20, 2014
Desert Lion said:
All the CIC were informed through communication with the minister of immigration's office that the effective law will be by June 19, 2015
Including Age & Language requirement ? All come into force by June 19 2015?

transformer

Star Member
Jul 12, 2007
i got my PR in july 26 2013 and with pre-pr time im eligible in august 2015

this sucks big time

hopefully the protest will make them reconsider the implementation or the the lawsuit by rocco/refugee lawyers causes the supreme court to delay the implemenation

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
Desert Lion said:
Hi ,

Could you please provide any official link for the source of this information.

Thanks

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
An excellent question! And a good example of why some feel that the the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act (C-24) weakens Canadian citizenship.
According to the wording of the new Act, he definitely could lose his citizenship. If the Harper government doesn't use it against him, another government can. The Canadian citizenship lost a lot from its value last week...

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
admontreal said:
According to the wording of the new Act, he definitely could lose his citizenship. If the Harper government doesn't use it against him, another government can. The Canadian citizenship lost a lot from its value last week...
On the other hand, it allowed terrorist and fundamentalists to sail the world freely while throwing bombs left and right... It had to change, but not like the articulation in C-24, which penalizes a lot more.

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
Empirical-Scientist said:
On the other hand, it allowed terrorist and fundamentalists to sail the world freely while throwing bombs left and right... It had to change, but not like the articulation in C-24, which penalizes a lot more.
It penalizes the innocent and rewards the criminals with freedom and a free ticket to lands of like-minded groups.

Laws had to change. But the Citizenship Act was not one of them. The Crime Code had to change to introduce life in prison for such crimes and to require Canadians convicted abroad of such heinous crimes to be tried in Canada as if the crime was committed here. International agreements maybe had to change to ensure governments cooperate and deport every Canadian convicted of such crimes back to Canada so he/she can be tried and securely locked away, to prevent any reoccurrence. None of this was done. Just populist pre-election changes.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Empirical-Scientist said:
I understand your point of view. But do you really think a terrorist will use his real passport to travel? What's the point of removing his Canadian citizenship? If your child commits a crime, it will still be your child right? Whether he's adopted or biological.

sanlitun

Jun 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alphazip said:
FOIA requests are also free, though they ask you to agree to pay up to $25 in case there is a lot of photocopying to be done. I've made several requests and never been charged.
How long did it take for you to get a reply? Thanks!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sanlitun said:
How long did it take for you to get a reply? Thanks!
Both the Canadian & U.S. border entry requests took about a month or so. I was surprised that the Canadian request only took that long. Government seems to move at a slower pace in Canada than in the U.S.