+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
maza said:
This discussion is useless... It is apparent that Chakrab is unable to understand the whole thing .. this bill that is being forced now with all these rules on us just weakens the Canadian citizenship and minimizes it's values... what is the difference between a dictator and a democratic regimen?
when all power is in the hand of a minister and no power is in the hands of judges and courts... we will be loosing our freedom ...
CHAKRAB stop doing that.. adding the oath , wouldn't be useful unless it is used to strip off passports from those who leave
The irony of your post is amazing! Nothing is being "forced" and the entire process that the Bill is going through at present is the very definition of democracy. How can you call it a dictatorship just because you don't agree with the content of the Bill? there are multiple readings, rounds of discussions, rounds of voting, hearings, etc. and plenty of input from experts and third parties. What more could you ask for in a democracy?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
my knowledge isn't limited. i am just not scared about these things. not going to lose my sleep over what "may" happen in future.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
maza said:
Freedom of movement is a human right... seems your knowledge is limited...
i would prefer to be a free bird anywhere rather than locked in inside heaven...

seems u have nothing to do and so just passing time by arguing..

i will not discuss this with you.. just go read the constitution first and then come back to argue..
Again, according to the Minister, there is nothing in the Bill that will restrict the freedom of movement for any citizen of Canada. you can sit and speculate about variations of interpretation all you want, but the fact remains that the author and main proponent of the Bill has clearly stated this is the case, so why would you feel the need to continue to argue?

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
on-hold said:
Actually, they CAN'T propose a rule based on residency, unless it covers Canadians-by-birth as well . . . this 'intent' clause, with its implications for misrepresentation, is the only way to have a residency-based citizenship that only applies to naturalized citizens . . . Are you OK with that, chakrab? And why won't you say, after your unpleasant insinuation that 'only those that plan to leave should worry', that the 'intent to reside' can be used to strip citizenship?
Ireland already has the residency requirements for naturalized citizens only. I believe that if a naturalized Irish citizen is abroad for over seven years, then he/she would have to report every year or risk losing their citizenship. I'm not sure how exactly 'residency' is defined here though, or whether they really are enforcing this rule...

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
meyakanor said:
Ireland already has the residency requirements for naturalized citizens only. I believe that if a naturalized Irish citizen is abroad for over seven years, then he/she would have to report every year or risk losing their citizenship. I'm not sure how exactly 'residency' is defined here though, or whether they really are enforcing this rule...
I did know of this policy, but I don't know anything about the Irish constitution; I am sure that the Canadian charter would prevent something like this. If Canada wants to have a residence-based citizenship, then that's its right (they did once), if any political party wants to commit suicide by implementing that; just don't apply it to naturalized Canadians only.

skhan123

Star Member
Sep 27, 2009
Tolerance said:
Second reading completed, referred to committee now.

Next CIMM session is Monday: http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=6627824&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

They will be looking at the bill clause by clause. I doubt cons will allow any changes to the bill.

After that, third reading, and then the Senate. General opinion seems to be they will be done by June 20, and then Royal Assent.
How much time normally takes for Royal Assent? are there any chances that the bill becomes law before July 1st?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
I did know of this policy, but I don't know anything about the Irish constitution; I am sure that the Canadian charter would prevent something like this. If Canada wants to have a residence-based citizenship, then that's its right (they did once), if any political party wants to commit suicide by implementing that; just don't apply it to naturalized Canadians only.
speaking of political parties, i am noticing more immigrants are voting for conservatives due to their pro immigration (not citizenship), less taxes and less handouts gimmicks. seems like it should be the opposite. specially new working immigrants who feels that they shouldn't pay higher taxes for social benefits.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
skhan123 said:
How much time normally takes for Royal Assent? are there any chances that the bill becomes law before July 1st?
If you look at some of the latest laws that received royal assent, it seems it takes just a few days after the senate is done.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISInfo/Home.aspx?language=E&ParliamentSession=41-2&BillStatus=RoyalAssentGiven&Page=1

The Governor General is appointed by the PM, it is mostly a ceremonial function. Same for the Senate (appointed by the Governor based on PM's recommendation) :), they are rewarded for their services with terms for life, and judging by Duffy, spend their time finding ways to milk the cash cow as much as they can :). Most senators are cons as you can imagine.

The main factor in whether this bill/law affects you and me is the implementation of its parts.

When the Governor does his bit, we will know the dates.

You will probably be able to get your app in, just have it prepared beforehand, and ready to go soon after you can apply.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolerance said:
If you look at some of the latest laws that received royal assent, it seems it takes just a few days after the senate is done.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISInfo/Home.aspx?language=E&ParliamentSession=41-2&BillStatus=RoyalAssentGiven&Page=1

The Governor General is appointed by the PM, it is mostly a ceremonial function. Same for the Senate (appointed by the Governor based on PM's recommendation) :), they are rewarded for their services with terms for life, and judging by Duffy, spend their time finding ways to milk the cash cow as much as they can :). Most senators are cons as you can imagine.

The main factor in whether this bill/law affects you and me is the implementation of its parts.

When the Governor does his bit, we will know the dates.

You will probably be able to get your app in, just have it prepared beforehand, and ready to go soon after you can apply.
How long does it usually take the big bills like C-24 to go through Senate? Will the committee study the bill again when it moves to Senate? Can Senate request further study or disapprove the bill?
Will senators have summer recession too?
On the bright side CIC and Bill C-24 have helped many of us gain more political procedure knowledge lol

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
civic said:
How long does it usually take the big bills like C-24 to go through Senate? Will the committee study the bill again when it moves to Senate? Can Senate request further study or disapprove the bill?
Will senators have summer recession too?
On the bright side CIC and Bill C-24 have helped many of us gain more political procedure knowledge lol
The Cons are using time allocation for every bill, and they pushed through the motion to work extended hours (till midnight) till the recess on June 20. They unequivocally said they want as much work (read pass as many bills) to be done as possible.

Second reading is the only serious stage. The committee will look at it, suggest amendments, report back to the House, and the House will of course reject the amendments :(.

After second reading, they cannot object to anything that has been already accepted, no-going-back kind of logic.

After that, the Senate does not care (they will complete their bit before June 20), and the Governor does not care. Apparently, the Governor's Deputy does the royal assent for the governor, and funnily enough, that Deputy is a Supreme Court justice. Maybe the justice won't like the new law :).

I would love it if a miracle happened and it turns out I am completely off-target.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolerance said:
The Cons are using time allocation for every bill, and they pushed through the motion to work extended hours (till midnight) till the recess on June 20. They unequivocally said they want as much work (read pass as many bills) to be done as possible.

Second reading is the only serious stage. The committee will look at it, suggest amendments, report back to the House, and the House will of course reject the amendments :(.

After second reading, they cannot object to anything that has been already accepted, no-going-back kind of logic.

After that, the Senate does not care (they will complete their bit before June 20), and the Governor does not care. Apparently, the Governor's Deputy does the royal assent for the governor, and funnily enough, that Deputy is a Supreme Court justice. Maybe the justice won't like the new law :).

I would love it if a miracle happened and it turns out I am completely off-target.
They probably set July 1 as coming into force date, on Canada Day, to remark their victory that will damage many permanent resident lives :) Lest not forget

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
civic said:
They probably set July 1 as coming into force date, on Canada Day, to remark their victory that will damage many permanent resident lives :) Lest not forget
Don't torture the poor guy above, that is his date...

It seems that the bill will go through its motions pretty quickly, but I honestly think the last bit of hope is when the individual parts will be coming into force. They do need some preparation, that is for sure.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My day is June 17. I will do online calculation one more time today :-\
I've lived in Canada 10 years now.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
civic said:
My day is June 17. I will do online calculation one more time today :-\
I've lived in Canada 10 years now.
Now chakrab or torontosm will tell you that if you love Canada, you can wait another 10 :(. Good luck buddy.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
I think, besides the fact that they will need all Fall to upgrade systems and things, they also want enough lead time to probably coincide updated systems with the formal Jan 1, 2015 launch of the new Express Entry Program ( the Expression of Interest Program aka informally known as "you don't call us...we will call you" (if you match our needs))

The EOI model, on a related note, has totally changed the discussion going from a supply side model to a demand side one.

Earlier, pretty much "every friggin" PR application through the FSW program they got had to be processed and included (and yes, it seemed like they were making lots of $$ but remember the scandalous backlogs and inability to process bucket loads of applications).

In short, the EOI approach has made it more selective and probably reduced overall intakes with much more selectivity now (I don't want to venture into whether this is their way of also controlling what "types of people" they want (ahem..this could be anything but I shan't go there))