London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
civic said:
I understand now that we have until july 2015 to send in apps under old residency law including pre-pr count? Purolator has lost my application and I went crazy yesterday couldnt control my mentality at all at home.
Is that "lost" as in "We're not sure where it is.." or as in "It's at the bottom of the Saint Lawrence River"?

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
CanV said:
Yes you said it. You rock!
True, sicko86 said it. In all fairness though, if you go back enough pages in this thread you'll discover that it was me who said it first .... some time ago

(for those of you who didn't follow this thread, we were talking about sicko86's mention that the previous citizenship and immigration bills took anywhere from six months to a year to take effect after passage in Parliament).

:D

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
Is that "lost" as in "We're not sure where it is.." or as in "It's at the bottom of the Saint Lawrence River"?
*we still cant find it* is the update i get today after a case investigation was open. What a bad timing for such things.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
I understand now that we have until july 2015 to send in apps under old residency law including pre-pr count? Purolator has lost my application and I went crazy yesterday couldnt control my mentality at all at home.
Can someone please give me an offically cited answer please??? And i am able to claim
Pre-pr time until july 2015 too?

Sharif11

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
Can someone please give me an offically cited answer please??? And i am able to claim
Pre-pr time until july 2015 too?
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?&nid=859509

Empirical-Scientist said:
Overall, from the summary page at http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliament/LegislativeSummaries/bills_ls.asp?ls=C24&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2&source=library_prb&Language=E#a44, here's what's written on the "coming into force" sections:

2.9.2 Coming into Force on Day of Royal Assent
The following provisions come into force upon Royal Assent:

the extension of the exception to the first generation cut-off to include children and adopted children of grandparents who served Canada abroad (clauses 2(13) and 5);
provisions relating to the accelerated path to citizenship by grant or resumption of citizenship for a permanent resident serving in the Canadian Armed Forces (clauses 3(3) and 9(3));
ministerial discretion to grant citizenship (clause 3(7)); and
all transitional provisions.

2.9.3 Coming into Force on a Day Fixed by Order of the Governor in Council
2.9.3.1 Clause 46(1)
Clause 46(1) stipulates that the following provisions come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council:

clause 11, establishing the new processing procedures;
clauses 12(1) and 12(3), covering the changes to the citizenship judge's role in the processing of citizenship files, and clause 27, setting out the way in which, over time, the citizenship judge's role will be eliminated;
clause 13, adding a new obligation for a citizenship applicant to answer truthfully, and clause 22, allowing the Minister to ask for additional evidence from a citizenship applicant;
clause 20, the new part of the Act relating to judicial review, and clause 41, confirming through a change in the Federal Courts Act that there is no automatic right to judicial review; and
clause 16(2), affirming that a person subject to a declaration by the Governor in Council may not appeal this declaration or have it judicially reviewed.

The parts in green are unknown as of yet, but the quick fact highlighted here earlier this evening mentions about a year's wait until the new residence requirement comes into force. Because this date is yet to be determined and not specified in any clause of the bill, the quick fact I just referred to is precarious...

sicko86 said:
Guys PRE-PR time is attached completely to the 4/6 years clause .. I will give a clear explanation from the Bill.

OLD CITIZENSHIP ACT:

5. (1) The Minister shall grant citizenship to any person who
(a) makes application for citizenship;
(b) is eighteen years of age or over;
(c) is a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and has, within the four years immediately preceding the date of his or her application, accumulated at least three years of residence in Canada calculated in the following manner:
(i) for every day during which the person was resident in Canada before his lawful admission to Canada for permanent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one-half of a day of residence, and
(ii) for every day during which the person was resident in Canada after his lawful admission to Canada for permanent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one day of residence;
(d) has an adequate knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada;
(e) has an adequate knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship; and
(f) is not under a removal order and is not the subject of a declaration by the Governor in Council made pursuant to section 20.

THE NEW LAW WILL REPLACE THIS BY: (FROM BILL C-24)

3. (1) Paragraphs 5(1)(c) to (e) of the Act are replaced by the following:
3. (1) Les alinéas 5(1)c) à e) de la même loi sont remplacés par ce qui suit :
2001, ch. 27, par. 228(1)

(c) is a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, has, subject to the regulations, no unfulfilled conditions under that Act relating to his or her status as a permanent resident and has, since becoming a permanent resident,
(i) been physically present in Canada for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of his or her application,
(ii) been physically present in Canada for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of his or her application, and
(iii) met any applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file a return of income in respect of four taxation years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of his or her application;

Basically the whole new section will replace the old section in the previous law :)

I hope this is clear now.

Therefore, the Pre-PR time will be removed once 4/6 years clause are enforced.

abdel2010

Mar 27, 2014
civic said:
Can someone please give me an offically cited answer please???

Government welcomes Royal Assent of Bill C-24

The government celebrates the passage of reforms to the Citizenship Act

June 19, 2014 — Ottawa, ON — Canada’s Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander announced today that reforms to the Citizenship Act received final passage and Royal Assent. The reforms will strengthen the rules around access to citizenship to ensure that new citizens are better prepared for full participation and integration into Canadian society, with the goal of fostering in new Canadians a stronger attachment to Canadian values and traditions.

Key reforms include:
Improving efficiency

Canada’s citizenship program is being improved by reducing the decision-making process from three steps to one. It is expected that, by 2015–2016, this change will bring the average processing time for citizenship applications down to under a year. It is also projected that by 2015-2016, the current backlog will be reduced by more than 80 percent.

Reinforcing the value of Canadian citizenship

The government is ensuring citizenship applicants maintain strong ties to Canada. These amendments to the Citizenship Act provide a clearer indication that the “residence” period to qualify for citizenship in fact requires physical presence in Canada.

More applicants will now be required to meet language requirements and pass a knowledge test to ensure that new citizens are better prepared to fully participate in Canadian society. New provisions will also help individuals with strong ties to Canada, such as by automatically extending citizenship to additional “Lost Canadians” who were born before 1947 as well as to their children born in the first generation outside Canada.
Cracking down on citizenship fraud

The updated Citizenship Act includes stronger penalties for fraud and misrepresentation (a maximum fine of $100,000 and/or five years in prison) and expands the grounds to bar an application for citizenship to include foreign criminality, which will help improve program integrity.
Protecting and promoting Canada’s interests and values

Finally, the amendments bring Canada in line with most of our peer countries, by providing that citizenship can be revoked from dual nationals who are convicted of serious crimes such as terrorism, high treason and spying offences (depending on the sentence received) or who take up arms against Canada. Permanent residents who commit these acts will be barred from citizenship.

As a way of recognizing the important contributions of those who serve Canada in uniform, permanent residents who are members of the Canadian Armed Forces will have quicker access to Canadian citizenship. The Act also stipulates that children born to Canadian parents serving abroad as servants of the Crown are able to pass on Canadian citizenship to children they have or adopt outside Canada.
Quick facts

Requiring 14-64 year-olds to meet knowledge and language requirements provides an incentive for more individuals to acquire official language proficiency and civics knowledge, which helps them successfully integrate into Canadian society.

Citizenship applicants will need to be physically present in Canada for a total of four out of their last six years. In addition, they will need to be physically present in Canada for 183 days per year for at least four of those six years. These provisions will come into force in approximately a year.

Under the new streamlined decision-making model, citizenship officers will decide all aspects of a citizenship application. Under the old model, obtaining citizenship was a three-step process that involved duplication of work.
Since 2006, Canada has welcomed over 1,300,000 proud new Canadians. Citizenship and Immigration Canada received 333,860 citizenship applications in 2013, the highest volume ever.

Quotes

“Our government is proud to announce that the first comprehensive reforms to the Citizenship Act in a generation have now become law. Moving forward, the value of citizenship will be reinforced and new citizens will be able to acquire citizenship more quickly. Our government has strengthened the rules around access to citizenship to ensure that they reflect its true value, and that new citizens are better prepared for full participation for life in Canada. Canadian citizenship is highly valued around the world and, with this balanced set of reforms, our government is ensuring that this remains so.”

Chris Alexander, Canada’s Citizenship and Immigration Minister

“Our government expects new Canadians to take part in the democratic life, economic potential and the rich cultural traditions of Canada. Our government remains committed to the successful integration of new citizens into our labour market and our communities, ensuring that they are better prepared to assume the responsibilities of citizenship, and fostering in new Canadians a strong attachment to Canada.”

Chris Alexander, Canada’s Citizenship and Immigration Minister

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcus66502 said:
True, sicko86 said it. In all fairness though, if you go back enough pages in this thread you'll discover that it was me who said it first .... some time ago

(for those of you who didn't follow this thread, we were talking about sicko86's mention that the previous citizenship and immigration bills took anywhere from six months to a year to take effect after passage in Parliament).

:D
You and I said it too, but we were mostly guessing lol
Sicko86 did the research.

sweetakash

Star Member
Sep 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Transferred to Ottawa CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-SEP-2011
AOR Received.
8-NOV-2011
File Transfer...
8-NOV-2011
Med's Request
8-NOV-2011
Med's Done....
28-NOV-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-JAN-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-JAN-2012
LANDED..........
10-JAN-2012
yyzhuang said:
NP, btw I'm an engineer :)
No wonder Canada needs more Engineers ;-)

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
*we still cant find it* is the update i get today after a case investigation was open. What a bad timing for such things.
You should be ok. Apply again if they cant find it. Never even hear of the shipping company you are using. Why dont you use fedex? I recommend it over others with important stuff.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
use fedex. they are most reliable. purolator is the worst of the lot. even worse than canada post.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
use fedex. they are most reliable. purolator is the worst of the lot. even worse than canada post.
i am not a frequent courier user so I didn't know. I am preparing a new application set now. That means the application I signed on June 17 will be voided, whether delivered or not. I just want to make sure a thousand times that an application signed and dated today June 20 will be accepted for processing under old rule for residency requirement (3 out of 4) and pre-pr count.

I hate Purolator for life!

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
why many people say the law will be effective in July 2015. They mention it will come into force in approximately a year ( maybe after 9 or 10 months not exactly 1 year).
Also does anyone know when they will announce the date of the law to come into force.

2-after the announcement about date of the law to come into force can the law challenger go to supreme court or they must wait until the law come into force.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
i am not a frequent courier user so I didn't know. I am preparing a new application set now. That means the application I signed on June 17 will be voided, whether delivered or not. I just want to make sure a thousand times that an application signed and dated today June 20 will be accepted for processing under old rule for residency requirement (3 out of 4) and pre-pr count.

I hate Purolator for life!
I would give it sometime, no rush. You wanna make sure cic doesnt receive 2 applications from you, that wouldnt be good. Wait to see if they find it and make sure if they find it later after you send another app that they return it to you.

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
blackwine said:
I need wait for two more year for sure. so bad.
What do you prefer?

Wait another 2 years and apply on solid grounds and get your citizenship in 6 month
Or apply in 1 year, get suspicions from CIC because of a vacation trip you took back home or south, get an RQ, incur 200 to thousands of dollars in extra costs and time spent, and get your citizenship after 3 years from application with a raised eyebrow from CIC personnel?

My wife and kids applied 18 month ago and she is under RQ scrutiny due to 4 vacation trips south and home and her being at home with the kids.
I applied 8 month ago and do not know if will get an RQ as I travel frequently due to the nature of my position with my TSX listed employer.
I brought to Canada and the Canadian economy tens of millions of $ in the last 5 years and paid over 5 annual average salaries in taxes... regardless because of a few rotten apples the whole cart need to be checked and we are stuck..

At least bill c24 will streamline stuff..
When I applied for immigration it took me 6 years to get the PR visa as I got into a huge backlog after 9/11, now I got into the citizenship backlog.. for some now the whole process took 4 years (6 month PR, 3 month residency, 6 month Citizenship) for me I am in my 13th year.. but I am in no hurry.. when it will come, it will come :D :D

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
I would give it sometime, no rush. You wanna make sure cic doesnt receive 2 applications from you, that wouldnt be good. Wait to see if they find it and make sure if they find it later after you send another app that they return it to you.
They found it. It will be delivered today.