+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24: can citizenship now be revoked for working/studying away from Canada?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
crimesinister said:
The courts will soon decide weather the "intent to reside" clause is compatible with the Charter. Then we will know for sure.
Foremost, there is no doubt.

But, for those who think otherwise, no, the courts will not be deciding this any time soon, not at all.

As a requirement for the grant of citizenship, there is absolutely no doubt about its validity. Even if there was, it will be nearly two years, at minimum, before this issue will come before the courts . . . first an applicant will have to be denied the grant of citizenship because of the requirement, and that applicant will have to apply for leave to appeal, and then if leave is granted . . . all of which would take at least another two years.

As for any purported application of it in a way that might be directly contrary to the Charter (that is, an attempt to apply it against a citizen), there is no justiciable case on the horizon in which this could be an issue.

It is most likely that this will never be addressed by the courts, relative to the Charter, because it is totally unlikely there will ever be any case in which the government attempts to apply it in a manner that would affect the rights of a citizen. Assuming the possibility, however, that is not going to happen in the near future (there is not likely to even be a citizen whose application was processed governed by the requirement for many, many months, let alone one who the government subsequently attempts to revoke citizenship for), and if and when it did happen it would take a long, long time for it to reach the stage where a court would render a decision about it . . . so no, absolutely no chance this is going to be ruled upon soon. None.

crimesinister

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
dpenabill said:
Foremost, there is no doubt.

Even if there was, it will be nearly two years, at minimum, before this issue will come before the courts . . . first an applicant will have to be denied the grant of citizenship because of the requirement, and that applicant will have to apply for leave to appeal, and then if leave is granted . . . all of which would take at least another two years.
It's a common misconception that your Charter rights need to be violated before you can challenge a law. That is not the case at all. As long as you have standing, you can challenge any law any time.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
crimesinister said:
It's a common misconception that your Charter rights need to be violated before you can challenge a law. That is not the case at all. As long as you have standing, you can challenge any law any time.
But this law does not on its face invoke any Charter issue.

Rather, the red herring alleges that the government could interpret and apply this in a way that would be contrary to the Charter.

That is, the law (the "intent requirement") only affects PRs, PRs applying for citizenship, so there is no citizen's mobility right, per the Charter, involved.

And no reputable lawyer has suggested otherwise.

The argument that a malicious government might attempt to use this in a way which would violate the mobility rights of a citizen is not a justiciable issue unless and until the government actually attempts to interpret and apply the law in this clearly unconstitutional manner . . . which no government is going to do precisely because it would be blatantly unconstitutional . . . but for those intent on the possibility a government might do this, there is no case to take before the courts unless and until this happens . . . and for now there is not even a potential citizen for this to happen to (none granted citizenship under the new requirement), and there will be no such citizen for a long while to come.

crimesinister

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
dpenabill said:
But this law does not on its face invoke any Charter issue.
From Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers (CARL):
1. Revocation for Misrepresentation of ‘Intent to Reside'
Section 6 of the Charter guarantees to all citizens the right to leave, enter and remain in
Canada. Section 15 of the Charter guarantees equality before and under the law, and
equal benefit of the law. Naturalized citizens of Canada face a risk of citizenship
revocation for leaving Canada, if the Minister forms the opinion that the departure proves
that the individual, when applying for citizenship, misrepresented his or her intent to
reside in Canada post-citizenship. The chilling effect this will exert on the citizen's
mobility violates s. 6 of the Charter. Because it applies only to naturalized citizens
whose country of origin is not Canada, and does not to birthright citizens, it also
discriminates on the basis of national origin, contrary to s. 15 of the Charter

Are you saying CARL is made up of lawyer of disrepute?

As well, Audrey Macklin, Professor of Law and Chair in Human Rights, University of Toronto, states:

While the 1946 Citizenship Act
explicitly made non-residence a ground for denaturalization, Bill C-24
does so indirectly: Where the Minister identifies a naturalized citizen
who appears to reside outside Canada, the Minister can allege that the
citizen’s post-citizenship departure evinces a pre-citizenship lack of
intention to continue residing in Canada once citizenship was granted.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
crimesinister said:
From Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers (CARL):
1. Revocation for Misrepresentation of ‘Intent to Reside'
Section 6 of the Charter guarantees to all citizens the right to leave, enter and remain in Canada. Section 15 of the Charter guarantees equality before and under the law, and equal benefit of the law. Naturalized citizens of Canada face a risk of citizenship revocation for leaving Canada, if the Minister forms the opinion that the departure proves that the individual, when applying for citizenship, misrepresented his or her intent to reside in Canada post-citizenship. The chilling effect this will exert on the citizen's mobility violates s. 6 of the Charter. Because it applies only to naturalized citizens whose country of origin is not Canada, and does not to birthright citizens, it also discriminates on the basis of national origin, contrary to s. 15 of the Charter

Are you saying CARL is made up of lawyer of disrepute?

As well, Audrey Macklin, Professor of Law and Chair in Human Rights, University of Toronto, states:

While the 1946 Citizenship Act explicitly made non-residence a ground for denaturalization, Bill C-24 does so indirectly: Where the Minister identifies a naturalized citizen who appears to reside outside Canada, the Minister can allege that the citizen's post-citizenship departure evinces a pre-citizenship lack of intention to continue residing in Canada once citizenship was granted.
I am not familiar with this particular, purported comment by Audrey Macklin. But it is an example of the criticism about how a government might attempt to interpret and apply the provision. This has been addressed at length and in-depth, adequately refuted (see posts above and in other topics), but again, even for those who cling to the alleged possibility that a Minister might attempt to interpret and apply section 5(1)(c.1) this way (despite there being no reasonable interpretation of the provision to support this), that would be about how the Minister attempts to interpret and apply the provision, which would not be justiciable unless and until a Minister actually attempted to to do this . . . so this in no way suggests there will be any judicial ruling about this any time soon, especially since this is such an outrageous and unsupportable interpretation, let alone outrageous application contrary to the Charter, that there is virtually no chance any Minister will ever attempt to interpret and apply it this way.

I wonder about the date of this comment. There was a rush to judgment by many in early 2014 which tended to overlook the actual substance of the proposed legislation (the Canadian Bar Association's premature and in many respects unfounded comments, in early 2014, being a prime example . . . much of which has, naturally, for good reason, been more or less left behind).

The purported quote from CARL I am well familiar with. It is a quote NOT from CARL per se, and in particular is NOT a quote from anything said by a CARL lawyer (that I am aware of). It is a quote from CLE material prepared by a law student, published by CARL in its publication of some CLE materials in September 2014, the content of which is not purported to be the opinion of CARL. I have specifically discussed this specific quote on multiple occasions (probably above in this topic even) and more than amply illuminated the extent to which the student who authored this was wrong in many respects. At the least, however, the student's observations are overly broad general opinion lacking supporting analysis or citation, and moreover is largely a quotation (potentially plagarism I suspect, since it seems to be almost verbatim) from criticisms raised prior to Bill C-24 going to a Third Reading, at which those criticisms were refuted and dismissed. Moreover, those criticisms had little or no connection to the actual language of the then-proposed provision, and this law student likewise offers no analysis of the actual language of the provision itself.

So no, I am not saying that CARL is made up of lawyers of dissrepute. I am saying that particular quote is unfounded and its conclusions blatantly erroneous . . . and that there is now no disagreement about this among reasoned and informed observers.

I will say this: any lawyer still advocating that section 5(1)(c.1) constitutes an unconstitutional restraint on the mobility rights of citizens is wrong, and either being disingenuous or lacks basic skills in analyzing the law or is spouting off without considering the actual provision itself.

I know of one who as recently as March did indeed take such a position. Let me just say I would not recommend her for anyone with a legitimate case. I would note, though, that the article in which she took that position was co-authored by a student and similarly contains the same old criticism almost verbatim, suggesing the possibility of plagarism again or at the least repetition without analysis or reference to authority.

I am NOT referring to Audrey Macklin. I realize that Professor Macklin contributed to the Star article that was published within days after Bill C-24 was tabled, along with Lorne Waldman (who is often seen as the face of CARL), and perhaps that article was the genesis of much of the red herring criticisms. Some of the language in that article was, at best, unfortunate. (Particularly since extensive parts were actually quite informative.)

While I posted my own observations at the time in a different forum from this one, I was immediately disappointed and dismayed by the red herring about the purported "implicit threat that if a naturalized Canadian citizen takes up a job somewhere else . . . the government may move to strip the person of citizenship because they misrepresented their intention to reide in Canada when they were granted citizenship."

This language (including the rest of the paragraph in the Star article which Waldman and Macklin authored, February 2014), was repeated almost verbatim in numerous criticisms of Bill C-24 over then next several months. It became the chant of those challenging the proposed intent requirement . . . with virtually no discussion about or real analysis of that requirement itself.

In contrast, there was virtually no discussion, let alone debate, about the actual import and impact of then proposed section 5(1)(c.1), which is huge, obviously huge, of great import, but not because of the farfetched, nonsensical argument it might be used to revoke the citizenship of anyone who legitimately obtained their citizenship and later decided to move abroad.

In any event, I discussed the above in much depth, with real analysis, including as to the actual language in the revised statutory provisions, in the forum at immigration.ca back in March and April of 2014. And, again, other than one article co-authored by a lawyer and student and published earlier this year, I have seen no reputable source reiterate those criticisms originally raised in February and March 2014, refuted and dismissed in debate, and which quite frankly never had any real foundation at all. (As I have oft said, I was much disappointed by the extent to which, back in early 2014, the Canadian Bar Association and others allowed themselves to contribute to what really was a red herring distraction when there was so much about this legislation deserving a serious public and parliamentary debate.)

Otherwise, overall, no, there is no Charter issue evoked by the section 5(1)(c.1) required intent element. No naturalized citizen has any reason to fear losing citizenship because later in life he or she decides to live or work abroad. This is not going to be an issue addressed any time in the near future by the courts.

kaladdin

Jun 12, 2015
Question for those who believe the citizenship can be revoked by not living in Canada:

Is Canada going to be a giant prison?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
kaladdin said:
Question for those who believe the citizenship can be revoked by not living in Canada:

Is Canada going to be a giant prison?
Please READ MY LIPS.

Canada is not going to revoke citizenship because one decided to leave after oath. Canadians have mobility rights to leave and enter as one pleases.

The only time your citizenship will be revoked is if you hold dual citizenship and convicted of citizenship fraud, terrorism or treason.

One could in theory revoke citizenship to those who left Canada after oath is if they made concrete plans to leave Canada during the citizenship process. This would violate the "intend to reside" clause. However it is very difficult to obtain concrete evidence of this.

kaladdin

Jun 12, 2015
screech339 said:
Please READ MY LIPS.

Canada is not going to revoke citizenship because one decided to leave after oath. Canadians have mobility rights to leave and enter as one pleases.

The only time your citizenship will be revoked is if you hold dual citizenship and convicted of citizenship fraud, terrorism or treason.

One could in theory revoke citizenship to those who left Canada after oath is if they made concrete plans to leave Canada during the citizenship process. This would violate the "intend to reside" clause. However it is very difficult to obtain concrete evidence of this.
This is exactly what I believe but I see some people spread rumors.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
kaladdin said:
This is exactly what I believe but I see some people spread rumors.
This is a public forum on the internet. It would be more shocking if there was no wild rumors lol.

crimesinister

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
dpenabill said:
Otherwise, overall, no, there is no Charter issue evoked by the section 5(1)(c.1) required intent element. No naturalized citizen has any reason to fear losing citizenship because later in life he or she decides to live or work abroad. This is not going to be an issue addressed any time in the near future by the courts.
I guess you're unfamiliar with the "doctrine of vagueness". According to Justice Lamer:

It is essential in a free and democratic society that citizens are able, as far as is possible, to foresee the consequences of their conduct in order that persons be given fair notice of what to avoid, and that the discretion of those entrusted with law enforcement is limited by clear and explicit legislative standards.

According to Justice Rayle:

Vagueness can be raised under s. 7 of the Charter, since it is a principle of fundamental justice that laws must not be too vague. It can also be raised under s. 1 of the Charter in limine, on the basis that an enactment is so vague as not to satisfy the requirement that a limitation on Charter rights be "prescribed by law". Furthermore, vagueness is also relevant to the "minimal impairment" stage of the Oakes test (Morgentaler, Irwin Toy and the Prostitution Reference).

There's also the doctrine of overbreadth which you may be unfamiliar with, and which, I strongly suggest, you look up.