+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BGC for eTA versus PR

fauxkiwi

Sep 12, 2017
Hey everyone, I wasn't sure what a catchy title would be.
Basically my question is for anyone who might have insight about the standards used to determine eligibility for a visitor visa and then BGC they do for PR.

Background: My partner had a DUI conviction over 15 yrs ago (when he was 18) so prior to applying for our spousal visa we did an "admissibility assessment" through the Canadian Consulate in Australia. He recieved a notice back saying that over 10yrs has passed for that conviction, and nothing else on his record made him inadmissible to Canada.

Now: Our application was transferred to the Australian VO on Sept 12th, and my partner is concerned that when it comes to BGC for your PR they look at things differently. The schedule A and the form we filled out for the admissibility assessment were near identical (schedule A obviously more in-depth so we detailed his backpacking trips etc.) But the police certificates and driving records we submitted both times are the same. Also sent in supplementary form with the schedule A explaining why it's more detailed than the previous form.

Does anyone know if this is true? Or the fact that he's been admitted to Canada as a visitor (consulate in Sydney helped push his eTA through before we travelled here) means his BCG will be approved.

Also to clarify: are the BGCs done in Canada (Mississauga) or by the foreign VO? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone has a similar situation they've been through. Cheers everyone!

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Hey everyone, I wasn't sure what a catchy title would be.
Basically my question is for anyone who might have insight about the standards used to determine eligibility for a visitor visa and then BGC they do for PR.

Background: My partner had a DUI conviction over 15 yrs ago (when he was 18) so prior to applying for our spousal visa we did an "admissibility assessment" through the Canadian Consulate in Australia. He recieved a notice back saying that over 10yrs has passed for that conviction, and nothing else on his record made him inadmissible to Canada.

Now: Our application was transferred to the Australian VO on Sept 12th, and my partner is concerned that when it comes to BGC for your PR they look at things differently. The schedule A and the form we filled out for the admissibility assessment were near identical (schedule A obviously more in-depth so we detailed his backpacking trips etc.) But the police certificates and driving records we submitted both times are the same. Also sent in supplementary form with the schedule A explaining why it's more detailed than the previous form.

Does anyone know if this is true? Or the fact that he's been admitted to Canada as a visitor (consulate in Sydney helped push his eTA through before we travelled here) means his BCG will be approved.

Also to clarify: are the BGCs done in Canada (Mississauga) or by the foreign VO? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone has a similar situation they've been through. Cheers everyone!
Your partner was told he's eligible to enter. He's not eligible because he's been admitted as a visitor, he's eligible because he's deemed rehabiliated after that passage of time.

Reactions: fauxkiwi

fauxkiwi

Sep 12, 2017
Your partner was told he's eligible to enter. He's not eligible because he's been admitted as a visitor, he's eligible because he's deemed rehabiliated after that passage of time.
Right, this is what I was trying to explain to him but there isn't anything distinctly clear on CBSA or IRCC about this. So I assume the background check waiting is because of his travelling history etc.
And are background checks done in Canada or at the VO? I was hoping because Sydney had already done his admissibility check that it would go quicker but if it's done in Canada who knows.