Category........
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
soon
Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum (so happy I found it) and first just want to introduce myself...

My wife is canadian citizen (by birth). We are married since more than 12 years and live together in Germany ever since. We have two kids (12 & 9), both have dual citizenship canadian/german.

After considering the pros and cons for years, we finally made the decision to relocate to Canada. Of course I need to apply for PR now with my wife as a sponsor, but we are still unsure what the best way would be to get through the move for the whole family. We also have some questions we are unsure about and maybe some of you can help us finding the right answers.

1. Our kids have dual citizenship and are canadians already. They can move to Canada at any time with my wife. Do I have to include them in my application or not? Of course they are "dependant" on me, but they are citizens anyway. The forms are not 100% clear about it.

2. A medical examination expires after 12 months. But the processing time in Vienna is around 12 months already right now. So if I have to hand in my medical results together with my application, it is very likely that they are expired even before the application process is over. How is that handled by CIC? Also if the medical expires 2 weeks after I get my PR, do I have only 2 weeks then to move to Canada?

3. Our plan is that we apply for my PR (as a family class member) from Germany, but that my wife is moving to Canada beginning of next year, to find a job and to arrange everything for the rest of the family. Then in summer our kids will follow for the new school year and I will join them after getting my PR and selling our house, etc... Is that possible? Or does CIC require my wife to stay with me in Germany until I get my PR, since she then applied as a sponsor from here and we can only move together after I get my PR? Can the kids also just move in with my wife in Canada, even if I have to maybe include them in my application (see question one).

Thanks a lot in advance. Looking forward to your replies.

Chris

gongdi

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
I think you are in a smooth groove of a scenerio, groovebuster. Even if your PR isn't approved after one year you are visa exempt and probably can relocate or at least have a nice, long visit while the procedure takes place.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Chris

1. As they are citizens, the kids aren't included in the sponsorship app; however, they do need to be listed on IMM5406, Additional Family Information, and on IMM5481, Sponsorship Evaluation.

2. Posted times are how long it takes to approve 80% of apps, so most go through faster than that. You have a pretty straightforward app, married for a long time with kids, so it will probably be well under the 1 year mark. If it does take longer and your medical is going to expire, they can extend it for another year. To be safe, try to do the medical just before you mail the app.

3. Yes, that's possible, your wife is not required to stay with you throughout the processing, nor is she required to be with you when you land as a PR. Your children can go whenever they want because they are citizens. As a visa-exempt national, you don't really need to wait until you have PR to go to Canada. You can enter as a visitor and wait out the processing in Canada with your family. Once you are approved, you can flagpole at the nearest border crossing and land as a PR.

Check out the Vienna thread and spreadsheet

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/vienna-office-t74361.3105.html
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjvSDmSjyQZ0dE5DZk9Ua2ViTDRGZXhrM0w3V2xtdVE#gid=0

groovebuster

Sep 25, 2013
Berlin
Category........
Visa Office......
VIENNA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
soon
Thank you so much. I think that already covers all my questions.