+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best tips on how to prepare for the Citizenship test

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
Hey guys. I applied for Citizenship on June 8, 2015, received AOR on August 5th, 2015, they started processing my application on August 28, 2015 and last night when i checked the CIC ecas, it said that a letter had been dispatched to me and that my Citizenship test will be held on November 19, 2015. I am pleasantly surprised it happened so quickly because i was mentally prepared to go through a 12 month process at least.

Anyways, i tried searching on the website for other threads on how to best prepare for the Citizenship test but was unable to find any recent threads. I am hoping some experienced and recent successful test passers can pass on some good tips and suggestions. How many days of preparation will be needed?

Regards

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
Savak said:
Hey guys. I applied for Citizenship on June 8, 2015, received AOR on August 5th, 2015, they started processing my application on August 28, 2015 and last night when i checked the CIC ecas, it said that a letter had been dispatched to me and that my Citizenship test will be held on November 19, 2015. I am pleasantly surprised it happened so quickly because i was mentally prepared to go through a 12 month process at least.

Anyways, i tried searching on the website for other threads on how to best prepare for the Citizenship test but was unable to find any recent threads. I am hoping some experienced and recent successful test passers can pass on some good tips and suggestions. How many days of preparation will be needed?

Regards
V soul is the best. they dont pay me commission, IMO only

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
  • Order the physical book (I found it much easier to learn from it than using the e-book).
  • Read it several times and try to remember names, dates and facts.
  • Make sure to pay attention to the little images with captions that are on the book's margins, they are not "only if you want to know more", but you are expected to know those people/facts.
  • Do the online tests - to check if you've learned all that's needed, but also to get used to the way they ask questions.
  • Remember that those tests don't use the exact same questions, but they cover the same material and some of them are very similar.

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ari5323 said:
V soul is the best.
I didn't like it. The only good thing about it is that they have a lot of questions.
But I found some of the answers worded in a weird, misleading way.
And I would argue that in some cases there could be more than one answer that was correct,
but the test was looking for the exact wording from the book.
The questions and answers in the actual test were not like that, they were all very straightforward.

Oh, and I am pretty sure that I found one answer in the V soul test that was simply wrong.

Doing the free version doesn't hurt, but I would certainly not pay for it.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
a few more links for on-line practice

http://www.apnatoronto.com/canadian-citizenship-test-practice/
http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/index.cfm?province=ON
http://toptipsclub.com/Citizenship_Test_Index_KB.asp
http://www.v-soul.com/onlinetest/

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Savak said:

Regards
What's ur local office

AsianIndian

Jan 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sjakub said:
  • Order the physical book (I found it much easier to learn from it than using the e-book).
  • Read it several times and try to remember names, dates and facts.
  • Make sure to pay attention to the little images with captions that are on the book's margins, they are not "only if you want to know more", but you are expected to know those people/facts.
  • Do the online tests - to check if you've learned all that's needed, but also to get used to the way they ask questions.
  • Remember that those tests don't use the exact same questions, but they cover the same material and some of them are very similar.
I agree. I will add the following.
I was over-prepared for the test and got 20/20 in about 5 mins. Maybe didn't need that level of preparation, but better be over-prepared than under-prepared. How did I get over-prepared ?

I ordered the physical book and read it 5 times in total. The first 2 times I only read, underlined a few sentences, answered all the questions at the end, right next to the questions. For the last 3 times I was reading and listening to its audio version (on CIC's website) at the same time. It made things a bit easier and "fun". Every reading/listening session took me about 2h15min

After all these readings I finally jumped to the online tests suggested here and always selected the max number of questions (usually 100): http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/test-preparation-t242513.0.html

I eventually did the online test on CIC's website (a bit tougher though, but learnt some more material that wasn't in the book): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/games/how/

After all these tests, in the morning of my test, I went over the book one more time (therefore the 6th time) reading only the sentences that I had underlined. Took me about 15 mins. Then I re-did a few more online tests until I ran out of time and it was time to go take the actual test.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
AsianIndian said:
I agree. I will add the following.
I was over-prepared for the test and got 20/20 in about 5 mins. Maybe didn't need that level of preparation, but better be over-prepared than under-prepared. How did I get over-prepared ?

I ordered the physical book and read it 5 times in total. The first 2 times I only read, underlined a few sentences, answered all the questions at the end, right next to the questions. For the last 3 times I was reading and listening to its audio version (on CIC's website) at the same time. It made things a bit easier and "fun". Every reading/listening session took me about 2h15min

After all these readings I finally jumped to the online tests suggested here and always selected the max number of questions (usually 100): http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/test-preparation-t242513.0.html

I eventually did the online test on CIC's website (a bit tougher though, but learnt some more material that wasn't in the book): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/games/how/

After all these tests, in the morning of my test, I went over the book one more time (therefore the 6th time) reading only the sentences that I had underlined. Took me about 15 mins. Then I re-did a few more online tests until I ran out of time and it was time to go take the actual test.
And what you forgot to tell is that after you learned so much, that you got hired by University Of Toronto to teach Canadian history (-: LOL :p

AsianIndian

Jan 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ari5323 said:
And what you forgot to tell is that after you learned so much, that you got hired by University Of Toronto to teach Canadian history (-: LOL :p
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

debysousa

May 13, 2014
I've enjoyed the audio that is available at CIC website as I could listen to it over and over and benefit from the repetition. Honestly, I read the book a couple of times only, mostly listened to the info. I used an App that has the library test (can't remember the name but someone mentioned above). It's a "silly little app" but helped me a lot as its addicting trying to get 100! It worked well, I got 20/20 on my test.

Babi22

Apr 23, 2015
Montreal
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
09-2009
LANDED..........
16-02-2010
amazingTOO said:
was anybody asked who is pierre trudeau in the citizenship test, just curious ;D ;D
An Airport ? ;D ;D ;D ;D

amazingTOO

Oct 21, 2015
This can be a question, whats the full name of montreal airport yul?
A. Montreal queen victoira airport
B. Montreal chris alexander airport
C. Montreal pierre trudeau airport
D. None of above

If another 19 questions will be also trudeau related, then it will be easier for us to prepare. :D
Stephen harper should have name rockey montain harper mountain, biggest lake harper lake, longest river harper river,change the name victoria cross to harper cross, altantic to harper east ocean,Pacific to harper west ocean...
Then citizenship test will be very easy.

oren

May 8, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with sjakub & AsianIndian. Please read the book once or twice and understand it. Take note of those side pictures. The lectures below really helped me study. It's good to do practice tests just to give you an idea how is it going to be but take note that the actual test questions are different. During the actual test please read the questions carefully and review your answers before submitting it.

This is how I prepared for my test, got 20/20 and passed my interview within 15mins:
I ordered the physical book but I didn't want to write on it so I downloaded the online version then printed it and that's where I highlighted the texts lol. At first I was reading it but I'm not into reading so I started listening to the audio file while highlighting texts on the book but it's so boring. After that I tried checking YouTube and found the link below. From there I was watching the lectures, listening and following it on the book. This approach helped me gain interest on studying. Technically I didn't read the whole book but I somewhat did hehe. For a week I was studying and when I'm tired of the lectures I do sample tests, v-soul & citizenshipsupport, until I go to go sleep. I even took 2-3days off, no need to do it, and after the test left like I was overly prepare!! So don't panic too much but don't just read the book, understand it too. Good luck all!!

Book: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/discover/read.asp
Lecture: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvgaZIzIgbIfOmA09P7tfz5fjrrUtl4lf
Practice test: http://www.v-soul.com/onlinetest/