Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2011
Doc's Request.
additional-French Diploma (March 21, 2012)
Nomination.....
none
AOR Received.
December 28, 2011
IELTS Request
none
File Transfer...
April 30, 2013 (started visa processing)
Med's Request
July 23, 2013
Med's Done....
August 2, 2013
Interview........
waived (received CSQ on February 25, 2013)
Passport Req..
September 11, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
September 18, 2013
LANDED..........
April 25, 2014
Hello,

I would just like to ask your advice/opinion as to where particularly in West Island best suited for me as a new immigrant to settle? These includes factors like housing, job search, etc. I choose West Island since I only knew basic french. I will be bringing my wife and my two-year old kid. thanks i hope you can help me with this.

nickster13

Sep 29, 2013
Hi,
As a long time west island resident, I can answer this question with absolute certainty.
Generally speaking linguistically, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue and Lachine have sizeable French populations, so with little french, maybe you should avoid these 2 edges of the west island. Western pierrefonds (west of St-charles boulevard) is also quite french. So if you want to guarantee english service, I recommend Beaconsfield, Kirkland, Pointe-Claire, DDO or Baie-D'urfe.All this being said though, anywhere in the west island is quite english friendly, even despite the points I mentioned above.

In terms of public transit, Near the major highways(20,40) is your best bet, and the more east the better (cheaper, more buses, etc). So this means Pointe-Claire, Dorval and Beaconsfield are a little more convenient.

In terms of houses, generally Beaconsfield and Kirkland have nicer, cleaner middle-class neighbourhoods. DDO has bigger and newer houses and attracts more upper middle class. Dorval and Lachine tend to be a bit older and dingier at times (depending on the neighbourhood).

As for job search, there arent that many jobs in the west island. More are located on highway 40 in pointe-claire and kirkland, unless you work in retail, which are scattered everywhere. Most people work downtown, and thus the public transit I mentioned above comes into play.

In conclusion, I like Beaconsfield and Pointe-Claire the best, especially certain regions. Baie-D'urfe and Kirkland are also equally great, but a bit cumbersome to get downtown by bus, so consider this.

If you have any questions, please ask!

pongpong1984

Star Member
Aug 12, 2013
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2011
Doc's Request.
additional-French Diploma (March 21, 2012)
Nomination.....
none
AOR Received.
December 28, 2011
IELTS Request
none
File Transfer...
April 30, 2013 (started visa processing)
Med's Request
July 23, 2013
Med's Done....
August 2, 2013
Interview........
waived (received CSQ on February 25, 2013)
Passport Req..
September 11, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
September 18, 2013
LANDED..........
April 25, 2014
nickster13 said:
Hi,
As a long time west island resident, I can answer this question with absolute certainty.
Generally speaking linguistically, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue and Lachine have sizeable French populations, so with little french, maybe you should avoid these 2 edges of the west island. Western pierrefonds (west of St-charles boulevard) is also quite french. So if you want to guarantee english service, I recommend Beaconsfield, Kirkland, Pointe-Claire, DDO or Baie-D'urfe.All this being said though, anywhere in the west island is quite english friendly, even despite the points I mentioned above.

In terms of public transit, Near the major highways(20,40) is your best bet, and the more east the better (cheaper, more buses, etc). So this means Pointe-Claire, Dorval and Beaconsfield are a little more convenient.

In terms of houses, generally Beaconsfield and Kirkland have nicer, cleaner middle-class neighbourhoods. DDO has bigger and newer houses and attracts more upper middle class. Dorval and Lachine tend to be a bit older and dingier at times (depending on the neighbourhood).

As for job search, there arent that many jobs in the west island. More are located on highway 40 in pointe-claire and kirkland, unless you work in retail, which are scattered everywhere. Most people work downtown, and thus the public transit I mentioned above comes into play.

In conclusion, I like Beaconsfield and Pointe-Claire the best, especially certain regions. Baie-D'urfe and Kirkland are also equally great, but a bit cumbersome to get downtown by bus, so consider this.

Thank you very much my friend..So where are you staying right now? Im planning to move to Montreal by April of next year...I only speak basic French..Is it difficult to look for a job?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
nickster13 said:
Hi,

Seems like a pretty comprehensive over view. Thanks a lot +1. I intend to move around jan, already got a work place (saint nicolas street), know zero french but good english and am considering my options at the moment.