+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best Paying Jobs For College Students

canoat

Mar 12, 2011
It is usually necessary for a college student to get a job in order to help pay the tuition. What are the best paying jobs for college student

short.im/16f

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
There are no such thing as best paying job! If u really want the best job is to be a PIMP! easy job and well paid!

Be realistic boy! Every job is hard work and every job is well paid if u work hard! No free lunches boy!

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abelkwh said:
There are no such thing as best paying job! If u really want the best job is to be a PIMP! easy job and well paid!

Be realistic boy! Every job is hard work and every job is well paid if u work hard! No free lunches boy!
@ abelkwh .....ouch! I like it :)

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
canoat said:
It is usually necessary for a college student to get a job in order to help pay the tuition. What are the best paying jobs for college student

short.im/16f
if u are an international student, u will need to show that u have the funds to come to Canada to study before u are issued a student visa. So u will need to have sufficient funds before u can come to Canada to study with a student visa. So whether it is necessary or not to get to job to pay yr tuition is irrelevant. U still need to have sufficient funds to study here before u can come over to Canada. However, if u can get here with yr sufficient funds proven, then u can find a job on campus for the first 6 mths which allow u to work only for 20 hrs on campus per week, and after which u can work off campus. DO not just rely on yr job here to pay for yr education cause it will not be completely sufficient to cover yr tuition and living expenses! so yr question is very irrelevant and not practical at all!

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Dear Canoat,

If you do entry level type receptionist jobs, then it is only $10-$12 an hour, whereas a waitering job would earn you much more if you have a pleasant smile and good manners. On the other hand, a office job generates better potential for career development within that company in the future. That's my 2 cents. But to answer your specific question... then waitering/bartendar

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
College and University students really take any type of job while they're both taking classes and during the summer. Retail/Food services is the most popular. You'll likely get minimum wage.

Any experience is good - the more customer service experience you get is often great for the resume.

ligiahag7902

Mar 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abelkwh said:
if u are an international student, u will need to show that u have the funds to come to Canada to study before u are issued a student visa. So u will need to have sufficient funds before u can come to Canada to study with a student visa. So whether it is necessary or not to get to job to pay yr tuition is irrelevant. U still need to have sufficient funds to study here before u can come over to Canada. However, if u can get here with yr sufficient funds proven, then u can find a job on campus for the first 6 mths which allow u to work only for 20 hrs on campus per week, and after which u can work off campus. DO not just rely on yr job here to pay for yr education cause it will not be completely sufficient to cover yr tuition and living expenses! so yr question is very irrelevant and not practical at all!
Thanks you for the post.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only exception to this rules is if you come here as a graduate student. You still need to provide proof of sufficient funds to cover you while you are in Canada. However, as a graduate student you can earn around $35 to $40 per hour as a teaching assistant. I have worked as a teaching assistant at ryerson and university of toronto and I know this is the case. For most graduate students, your maximum hours of work is restricted to 10 hours per week. Also note that while you may be getting paid well, you may be working much more than the 10 hours a week (although this is all they will pay you). This all depends on luck, a very very few people work less than they are paid but most people work more than they are paid. Another option is to work as a research assistant which pays between $22 and $32 per hour. Most who work as research assistant work with their supervisor. You will need to discuss with your potential supervisor if such opportunity exist to gain research experince.

You need to have your full funds to pay for your schooling before you come to Canada as this is not guaranteed. Some programs have a lot of positions available and other programs have extremely limited positions available. It is easier to get teaching assistant position if you are in a program where there are less graduate students but a lot of undergraduate students. For example, it will be easier to get such positions if you are 1 of 10 masters student in engineering a school without a PhD program and there is 500 undergraduate students in engineering. On the other hand, if your school has 100 masters student, 40 PhD students and 500 undergraduates, your chances of getting teaching assistant position is much less if you are a masters student. The chances may still be good if you are a phd student

Again, do not rely on how much you will earn in Canada as nothing is guaranteed. Planning that you will earn a lot and getting the reality that it is not as easy as described only creates much frustration and depression and great financial problems that will impede your stay and succes in canada.

So, i to answer your question, the best job I can think of for a student to earn money is teaching assistant but it usually exist for graduate student or 4th year students (in a very few cases). However, do not depend on this as nothing is guaranteed unless stated in your admission information by the university.

Hope this is helpful and informative.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RN said:
The only exception to this rules is if you come here as a graduate student. You still need to provide proof of sufficient funds to cover you while you are in Canada. However, as a graduate student you can earn around $35 to $40 per hour as a teaching assistant. I have worked as a teaching assistant at ryerson and university of toronto and I know this is the case. For most graduate students, your maximum hours of work is restricted to 10 hours per week. Also note that while you may be getting paid well, you may be working much more than the 10 hours a week (although this is all they will pay you). This all depends on luck, a very very few people work less than they are paid but most people work more than they are paid. Another option is to work as a research assistant which pays between $22 and $32 per hour. Most who work as research assistant work with their supervisor. You will need to discuss with your potential supervisor if such opportunity exist to gain research experince.

You need to have your full funds to pay for your schooling before you come to Canada as this is not guaranteed. Some programs have a lot of positions available and other programs have extremely limited positions available. It is easier to get teaching assistant position if you are in a program where there are less graduate students but a lot of undergraduate students. For example, it will be easier to get such positions if you are 1 of 10 masters student in engineering a school without a PhD program and there is 500 undergraduate students in engineering. On the other hand, if your school has 100 masters student, 40 PhD students and 500 undergraduates, your chances of getting teaching assistant position is much less if you are a masters student. The chances may still be good if you are a phd student

Again, do not rely on how much you will earn in Canada as nothing is guaranteed. Planning that you will earn a lot and getting the reality that it is not as easy as described only creates much frustration and depression and great financial problems that will impede your stay and succes in canada.

So, i to answer your question, the best job I can think of for a student to earn money is teaching assistant but it usually exist for graduate student or 4th year students (in a very few cases). However, do not depend on this as nothing is guaranteed unless stated in your admission information by the university.

Hope this is helpful and informative.
10 hours per week $35 to $40 dollars an hour equates to $350 to $400 and roughly $1600 a month
Cost of an appartment in a relatively descent place is $1000 in Toronto
Food is $200 per month (assuming making food at home strictly)
cost of travel $100
clothes/entertainment/laundry/ misc expenses $500

1. This is for one person, how is someone able to survive on this salary with a family?

I think you are better off working at mcdonalds

10 hour shift/day 10.25 an hour equates to 102.5
6 days a week equals $ 615
and in a month $2460

I think this makes more sense realistically

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
the first thought that came to my mind was indeed what abelkwh brought up...

but seriously it really depends on your skill set and how much you're able to leverage it on the canadian market. I guess the best paid jobs for students are in the IT area - e.g. coding/programming.