+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Been here almost a year, Canada not so great

flipn0ob

Star Member
Nov 18, 2011
You guys should have travelled here in Canada first & visited this country before u decided to migrate. Study everything about Canada & u can actually make a good decision whether or not u want to be here or not.

sho78

Sep 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-7-2011 (recieved by CIO), CC charged on 16-Aug
Doc's Request.
Sent with the application
AOR Received.
PER received 29th Sept
IELTS Request
Med's Request
07-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-03-2012, Recd by VO on 16-03-2012, Medical received line added 24-04-12
Passport Req..
14-May-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2012
SoMeOnE-SoMeWhErE said:
First of all this forum is for people who are either already in the process to move to Canada (for whatever reason they want) or who are deciding to move....I think every person here knows (to some extent at least) what they are getting into...

You have literally demotivated lots and lots of people for no reason except your own....moving to ANY country is not easy !!!! Instead of blaming Canada...please blame yourself...I BELIEVE that your expectations were too high.....whatever you have written is actually reality in most parts of the world...isn't it obvious that one would be much more comfortable in one's own country??

As for "whocares"....what do you mean by?? Canada is for people who come from India, pakistan, some of Arab and Asian countries, Africa and eastern Europe....I guess its people who have a thought and perception like yourself that have tagged Canada this way....If you can't help people in their immigration process...then YOU should refrain from giving such ILLITERATE answers....

I am from Pakistan and I have a very good job here...but moving (or at least planning to move) is my own choice and for my own reasons...not because like you said "Canada is only for people who don't have a country or very low income"

Shame on you !!!! It is comments like this that I feel is ruining this forum...where most people come to seek advice on how to immigrate...sorry to say...but I am really disappointed !! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Hi Someone,

Even I am from pakistan but what whocares said is right we should accept the truth rather than being defensive, even I applied for Canada but still truth is truth.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Dear someone

If you are soo much determined then you should not be demotivated. Your words sound like you dont like to accept reality and demotivation is being forced on you. Whatever Bkuper said is his/ her personal experience and being on a Canada forum please adapt to hear some cons abt Canada as well. Picture is not always rosy.

sho78

Sep 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
PER received 29th Sept
IELTS Request
Med's Request
07-03-2012
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
14-May-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2012
SoMeOnE-SoMeWhErE said:
I'm not questioning the truth....my concern was the way someone says it !!!!.....btw....everyone knows the truth inside....its all about accepting it....but the main thing is not to demotivate others...

Anyways....like his/her ID......WHO CARES.... :-X
I live in middleeast but the curiosity and despiration I see in the applicants living in those countries which "who cares" mentioned are much more than the applicants from same countries living outside. I dont want to go in detail but you know very well having good job in Pakistan is not everything one should have peace of mind as well thatswhy ppl who are having even good job are always looking for an opportunity to go out, anyway everybody is having there own point-of-view.

Kghimire

Aug 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well said, fully agree with your view !

mitali said:
I would say Canada needs our children "MORE" than US to build up this Nation...this is not only my opinion, but has been opined by many. Thus, the Canadian Govt would do anything in its power to attract immigrants. If you really think hard....OUR CHILDREN WILL BE MORE SUCCESSFUL than the newly landed immigrant who is struggling to make ends meet first and then contribute efficiently towards the Canadian economy.

Most of the Immigrants take this DRASTIC STEP for the BETTERMENT of their children...there are very few...just a handful KNOWLEDGEABLE and WELL INFORMED immigrants who think about themselves. And most immigrants are IGNORANT and ill informed when they make this move and are greeted with SHOCK. Some are extremely lucky to find jobs in their own fields and climb up the ladder.....the element of UNCERTAINTY is prevalent everywhere...OMNIPRESENT ....in all parts of the World.

This is a game of "LADDER and SNAKES"......you have to take the RISK to reach HOME.

Mitali

sho78

Sep 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
PER received 29th Sept
IELTS Request
Med's Request
07-03-2012
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
14-May-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2012
SoMeOnE-SoMeWhErE said:
FYI....I am not demotivated at all....I have spent 10 years in the UK...3 years in the US and currently am living in Pakistan....I pretty much know how things are....and how to deal with situations...

My concern (again) was as a whole one should not be demotivating others (I was not talking about myself)....giving a picture about the problems is one thing and then writing ALL negative things is another....

I always try to help others not only here on the forum....but generally as well....there are ways to tell others the pros and cons of something/some place...

Anyways...I am not hear to prove that I am right or wrong....

BTW....just read the BOLD text in my first reply...Thank you.
Still I am not able to understand whats your point, can you please explain..

SoMeOnE-SoMeWhErE

Oct 21, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV 2010
Med's Request
OCT 2011
Med's Done....
OCT 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 JUN 2012 PPR2 JUL 2012
VISA ISSUED...
JUL 2012
LANDED..........
AUG 2012
sho78 said:
Still I am not able to understand whats your point, can you please explain..
Doesn't matter....everyone has their own point of view....anyways...

Best of luck to all...Thx :)

Kummy29

Aug 9, 2011
Iowa,USA
Visa Office......
Detroit
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2009
Doc's Request.
30-09-2009
Nomination.....
10-01-2010
AOR Received.
17-09-2010
IELTS Request
10-01-2010
File Transfer...
05-10-2011
Med's Request
23-02-2012
Med's Done....
06-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April-04,2012
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 13, 2012
LANDED..........
28-May,2012
All who replied on this topic,

After reading through the posts, I now ask myself "Have I made the right decision to move to Canada"? Of course, as Mitali pointed it out, I made this tough decision to leave my home country for the betterment (hopeful that I would get Canadian PR) of my kid. And I know it very well that moving from Country X to Country Y could be really challenging given the new environment, weather, job, housing, schooling, bla bla...and that is true for any "X" and "Y".

Truly guys, I am really really confused now, if this topic added any value at all.

But, I really think that making a fortune in Canada is not that easy and one should really srtive hard to plan it well ahead of time, to avoid disappointment.

All that said, people like me who have already decided to make a fortune in Canada, will ONLY see this post as a "what to expect" kind-of, and not potentially change their decison "not" to move to Canada.

Zee.One

Dec 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2011
Nomination.....
PER Received 10-01-2012
IELTS Request
8 bands Sent with Application
File Transfer...
In Process 10-01-2012
Med's Request
10-03-2013
Med's Done....
25-04-2013
Interview........
14-02-2013
Passport Req..
PPR-1 (31-05-13) PPR-2 (25-06-13)
VISA ISSUED...
09-07-2013
LANDED..........
Sep/October
Dear Friend,

have we not done samething in our country?

Product is yourself so believe in yourself.

Regards

Kummy29 said:
All who replied on this topic,

After reading through the posts, I now ask myself "Have I made the right decision to move to Canada"? Of course, as Mitali pointed it out, I made this tough decision to leave my home country for the betterment (hopeful that I would get Canadian PR) of my kid. And I know it very well that moving from Country X to Country Y could be really challenging given the new environment, weather, job, housing, schooling, bla bla...and that is true for any "X" and "Y".

Truly guys, I am really really confused now, if this topic added any value at all.

But, I really think that making a fortune in Canada is not that easy and one should really srtive hard to plan it well ahead of time, to avoid disappointment.

All that said, people like me who have already decided to make a fortune in Canada, will ONLY see this post as a "what to expect" kind-of, and not potentially change their decison "not" to move to Canada.

shims

Apr 27, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes this is true..

You get jobs through reference ,Yes it is true that they need people who speak English well so that they can understand the language of the boss - such jobs are at coffee shops loading un-loading of trucks etc.. so if you take this into account.. all Asian countries where English is not first language only educated people like doctors or engineers speak good English. when they come to Canada they end up driving Taxis, or working in Coffee shops.

Just an example I asked a guy Canadian guy at my work who sits next to me.. where did you do your engineering he then said he was Just a high school pass He is senior and paid more..

People here are told to upgrade their skills What d - F are they showing fake Engineering and Doctorate degrees when the were granted immigration.
They were given immigration because they were skilled doctors. why do they have to go through licencing test etc. this could be made a pre immigration test so that only guys who have proper licence can get immigration

Having said this. people still immigrate here and the only thing which motivates them is future of their kids (only my assumption)
Less competition here for kids in future better Jobs for them.. they will not face these problems.

So think whom do you want to live for and decide

cforcanada

Mar 1, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is such a depressing thread. Hope everything works out fine with you guys.

tim maguire

Jan 5, 2012
NYC, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-09-2011
AOR Received.
28-12-2011
Med's Done....
12-08-2011
Passport Req..
28-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2012
LANDED..........
11-08-2012
It's not surprising that some people have struggles with resettling, this stuff's hard and some people have more advantages and/or will get more breaks than others. But there's no point in wallowing in self-pity or blaming other forces. If you're going to do that, you may as well go home and at least be where you are familiar. I'm coming from the United States where I feel confident I'm inured to the particular problems you speak of here. Of course most jobs go to the networkers. Employers get better employees more easily that way. Of course people will let you down. They have their own lives to lead, their own struggles to manage; how much energy do you expect them to spend on your life and struggles?

So what do you do about it? Your network, no matter how paltry, is better than you think. Spread the word around, talk to as many people as you can. Friends, relatives, neighbors. Everyone knows someone. Contact leaders in your industry to ask for informational (not job) interviews. Find out about what it takes to break in, ask them if they know of anyone else you can talk to. Remember to properly thank them afterwards (an email is fine). They will be more generous than you (or me, anyway) might expect. If you have a skill, that skill has an association. Join it and get active. Go to seminars, hang around afterward to talk to the presenters, attend the mixers.

Want to respond to a published job ad? Don't send your resume to Human Resources, they'll probably get 500 resumes and there's no way they're looking at every one. It doesn't matter how perfect your resume is if they don't see it. Do a little research, learn about the company. And then send your resume to your future boss with a cover letter that shows you spent some time learning about the job and the company--he'll only get a couple, he'll look at it, and if he sends it to Human Resources, it'll go to the top of the pile because it came from him and not you. Six carefully choreographed applications are worth more than 600 pro-forma job-ad responses.

Good luck to everyone.

bkuper

Star Member
Jul 2, 2009
Thank you all for your replies to my post.

For those who wanted to know why we left Australia, the reason is complex. We have more family here in Canada (Toronto specifically) than in Australia and we are in a different stage in our lives, being in our early 40's. We still love Australia very much and the decision was not easy. We also have a son who is growing up without much close family. Plus we like to travel, and Australia is really far from everything! There are other reasons which made up the final decision, but those are the main ones.

For those of you still waiting for your visas and dreaming of a better place, I think that it is going to be a hard reality check when you land here. Nobody gives a toss about your well-being at the end of the day. Even the family we have here have turned out to be a bitter disappointment. When we visited prior to moving last year everyone was all big talk about the things they we going to do for us and how they would help us. Well, the reality is that we've barely even heard from them and they have not given any thought to us as new immigrants. Again, they just come across as having their heads buried in the sand and occupied so totally with their own lives that we have just given up on having much to do with them. Other people may have different family experiences, but this seems to be typical of the average Canadian - very self absorbed and unwilling to go out of their comfort zone.

We didn't move here and expect to make a fortune. However, it would be nice to catch a small break and be given an opportunity to use 20 years of experience and get a decent job.

I'm in hospitality field as both an Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Director. What really annoys me is that chefs are on the eligible job list and they make a big deal about how they need qualified people like myself. Well, as I said earlier I have sent my resume to over 60 hotels and recruitment agencies and I'm still treading water.

bkuper

Star Member
Jul 2, 2009
To thebeast184/Rod,

it seems like you're still waiting on your visa - since you don't live here yet, please don't presume to give advice to those of us who do!

We're allowed to find things disappointing, ridiculous, uncertain and messed up because we've been through the whole process, arrived here and seen with our own eyes that things suck!

Trust me, returning to Australia is high on our list right now because it's obvious that Canada doesn't appreciate people with the skills it says it needs. It's not a question of simply complaining and not working, for goodness sake we all are willing, able and happy to work, but cannot get the OPPORTUNITY to do so.

Since I live here and experience this nonsense on a DAILY basis, I'm quite entitled to share my thoughts about it. Unlike people who are still in the queue and have no idea of the reality!