+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Basement rent issue

msamiullah

Star Member
May 31, 2013
Hi All,

Hey guys I have a questions. I own a house in Calgary and I rent outed the basement. My basement is not not legal. I rented out the basement to one guy (with his family) for a month but unfortunately I do not have any details of the guy as he kept on saying to do the agreement which never happened. On last Wednesday the guy disappeared all of sudden and he kept the keys outside the garage. The guy left all of the his stuff and I mean all of the stuff in the house. Now I do not know what to do ?

Any advices ??

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you still have his family's contact information? If so, ask them to give you a text message whether or not you can dispose the items.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
This may help...

What can a landlord do if a tenant abandons or vacates the premises leaving personal property?

If the landlord reasonably believes that the abandoned goods have a total market value of less than $2,000; the landlord may dispose of the goods. The sale proceeds go towards the proper costs of removing, storing and selling the goods and to any outstanding liabilities of the tenant to the landlord. Any surplus has to be paid to the Minister of Service Alberta.

If the abandoned goods have a value of $2,000 or more and the landlord reasonably believes that the storage of the goods would be unsanitary or unsafe or would rapidly result in total or substantial depreciation in their market value or that the cost of removing, storing and selling would exceed the sale proceeds, the landlord may sell the goods by such means and at such price as the landlord believes is reasonable. The sale proceeds go towards the proper costs of removing, storing and selling the goods and to any outstanding liabilities of the tenant to the landlord. Any surplus has to be paid to the Minister of Service Alberta.

If the abandoned goods have a value of $2,000 or more and the preceding paragraph does not apply, the landlord must store the goods for a period of 30 days from the date of their abandonment. After the 30 days the landlord can sell the goods at a public auction or, with the approval of a court or the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service, by private sale. Again, the sale proceeds go towards the proper costs of removing, storing and selling the goods and to any outstanding liabilities of the tenant to the landlord. Any surplus has to be paid to the Minister of Service Alberta.
Source:
https://www.servicealberta.ca/618.cfm

msamiullah

Star Member
May 31, 2013
steaky said:
Do you still have his family's contact information? If so, ask them to give you a text message whether or not you can dispose the items.
Well I have his phone number as its switched off .... do i need to report this police ?? or check with one of the office of service alberta ?

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
You could call Calgary's non-emergency police line, which is 403-266-1234.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/PSC/Pages/Non-emergency-calls.aspx