+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bank account prior to landing - help

shankariyer

Star Member
May 23, 2011
Dear friends,
I am told i can open bank account in Toronto, Canada (e.g. RBC) prior to landing and transfer the funds to my account which can be shown as proof of funds (rather thank drafts and TCs). Is it so? If yes,
once I transfer funds, what precaution and what letter i should take from bank which can be shown on landing and accetable by Immigration.
SS

HurryJacky

May 27, 2011
There is a long list of residential and social ties of Canada in the CIC website.
One of the ties is the creation of bank account.
I just landed and talked to an accountant, try to avoid any social ties (opening a bank account) if you're not ready for landing. If you need to do so, open a bank account and state: Non-resident.
For me, I opened a bank account BEFORE I met the accoutant. So I had to inform manager in the bank changing my status to "non-resident". Otherwise, I may need to pay tax while I'm still working in my own country.
Good luck!

shankariyer

Star Member
May 23, 2011
Jacky
thanks very much. point noted. but part of my question remain unanswered. what letter or document i should take from Bank prior to leave my country which i can show at the immigration which is accepted as proof of funds.

HurryJacky

May 27, 2011
I myself prepared "Monthly transaction" from my bank but the immigration officer didn't ask it.
Ask your bank manager to issue an "Bank Reference Letter" stating your funds.
Good luck!

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HurryJacky and Shankariyer,

What do I need to open an account as a visitor in Canada? I am a FSWP applicant and should be getting my PRVs soon, but I am going to Canada next week and would like to make a deposit...

Please advice..

SFD

shankariyer

Star Member
May 23, 2011
SFD procedure is same for everything. just visit www.rbc.com/canada you will find answer to all queries. it is very best and useful site

HurryJacky

May 27, 2011
In addition to Royal Bank, ScotiaBank also got StartRight program.
Make sure you open an account stating "non-residential", otherwise you establish a social ties with Canada and Revenue agency may have the right to charge you tax.

Good Luck!

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HurryJacky said:
In addition to Royal Bank, ScotiaBank also got StartRight program.
Make sure you open an account stating "non-residential", otherwise you establish a social ties with Canada and Revenue agency may have the right to charge you tax.

Good Luck!
Thank you so much.
Here is the million question.... Opening an account it's very important for two reason:

1) Bring somemoney to the account in order to comply with the requeirements.

2) I need an address for the school enrollment. Can I used an address very close from where I am thinking of renting?

Greetings

SFD

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SFD said:
Thank you so much.
Here is the million question.... Opening an account it's very important for two reason:

1) Bring somemoney to the account in order to comply with the requeirements.

2) I need an address for the school enrollment. Can I used an address very close from where I am thinking of renting?

Greetings

SFD
1) Yes, you need money for landing
2) Yes, you can use the rental address

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
1) Yes, you need money for landing
2) Yes, you can use the rental address
Steaky,

Next week, I am going to Canada as a visitor and would like to open an account. I am going to use some friend address in the mean time. But, what worries me it's the school enrollment. School Program starts on Sep 06.

However, I guess I should take one step at a time.

SFD

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SFD said:
Steaky,

Next week, I am going to Canada as a visitor and would like to open an account. I am going to use some friend address in the mean time. But, what worries me it's the school enrollment. School Program starts on Sep 06.

However, I guess I should take one step at a time.

SFD
If you are just visiting (instead of landing), make sure you tell the bank to open as a non resident bank account.

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yon Hanock said:
Excuse me, its enrollment rate is what exactly? ;)
Hello Yon Hanock

Are you referring to the school enrollment issue I mentioned? I am not really sure if your comments are related to my queries.

SFD

DiNaV

Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-May-2016
AOR Received.