+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bad news for TFW under food service processing their LMO

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lnpiercy said:
Is there something wrong nationalism? I am very well educated but when my children struggle to find their first job....I am concerned. I am all for healthy debate but I was responding to this person's argument that we all must be racist if we are against this program...not the case. We should only use it for skilled professions where it is legitimately needed. If you want the support of people living here then stick with rational arguments not spewing we all must be racist.
One more thing, nobody's taking away your jobs. Low-skilled workers are needed too, especially in remote locations where nobody wants to re-locate. If Canadians don't want the job because it's below them or too inconvenient, then somebody else has to do it. There's a real social stigma associated with working at McDonald's that very few people are willing to work there and would rather collect employment insurance instead. But whatever, let's see how many restaurants go unstaffed during this moratorium (assuming it drags on long enough). I strongly believe that this moratorium is only going to make things worse, but only time will tell.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
fkl said:
It is not true to assume "temp worker" program is actually meant for a temp stay in the country. In practice it is only used to get some one here faster because the immigrant programs are so hopelessly long and unpredictable that no decision can be based upon that. And almost every one does this with the intention of getting PR latter. This is what government realized and is introducing express entry program as a substitute next year. The temp worker program falls close to visit visas only in terms of processing. I am hoping some of the abuses will go away once there is more focus on express entry next year because this route will be chosen far less then.

So the people who are coming here to call this country home, become part of economy, contribute more than existing residents (because they have equal obligations, but lack some benefits), but only went through temp worker program because they were able to find an employer (or an employer found them), and chose it being a faster route would be treated the same way as new immigrants.

Besides, no one usually travels half way across the world to stay there for just a year or two. Visit visas should be enough to do that IF THEY HAD ALLOWED people to earn which is not the case. I am positive that there would almost be a negligible percentage of temp workers who do not become residents ultimately.
This is a fundamental issue I have with the program, and with the attitude of many TFW's I have encountered. They come here with a sense of entitlement that they deserve to be PR's. that is not the case at all. If you want to be a PR, then apply for one of the PR programs. Of course, most TFW's wouldn't qualify for these programs, and so they use the back-door CEC class to obtain residency. This annoys me to no end becuase qualified doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. have to wait for years to qualify to immigrate to Canada and yet we are allowing nannies and unskilled workers to get their residency sooner? How does that make sense and how is that in Canada's long term interests?

If TFW's want to call this country home and be treated like any other immigrants, as you claim, then they should be subject to the same scrutiny and standards as all other immigrants as well. You can't have it both ways.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
fkl said:
Nothing wrong with nationalism. Just that when some body is offered a job by some one, it is not bestowed upon them courtesy of Canadians. Whether principally damaging to economy or not is a concern that can be explored, but a job is a two way street - employer offers it for his own sake and employee for his own. It is a trade, if it is manipulated in some cases by employers raising concerns of Canadians, those problems should be fixed, rather than calling all sorts of names to all those employees who came to work.

I do not deny that misuse of this program in some cases is making it difficult for children finding their first job. Probably one day my children would reach that stage as well and would hopefully be here. I would just say that abuse of program is not the ONLY reason. I would also try to ensure that my kids are not lagging in skills either. True that i am not discounting abuse of such programs as a cause, but at the same time i don't want my son to consider his 'Canadian status' as his only qualification. I hope and wish that he is better in academia and professional credentials AS WELL.
FKL, I work in the financial services space, and such policies are used by governments the world over to protect jobs for their own citizens. For example, try getting a work permit in the UK or Singapore right now and you will see how difficult it is. In the Middle East, governments have instilled quotas (as high as 95%) that mandate the proportion of citizens vs. expats that can work in any country. And of course, we already spoke about the system in the US whereby their foreign visa cap is reached within days. So why can't Canada do the same? You seem to believe that it is Canada's obligation to allow anyone from anywhere in the world to move here for a better life. Unfortunately, though, in times like this where the economy is weak, Canada must protect its own citizens first. And if that means temporarily or permanently reducing the number of TFW's, so be it.

wins26

Feb 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
This is a fundamental issue I have with the program, and with the attitude of many TFW's I have encountered. They come here with a sense of entitlement that they deserve to be PR's. that is not the case at all. If you want to be a PR, then apply for one of the PR programs. Of course, most TFW's wouldn't qualify for these programs, and so they use the back-door CEC class to obtain residency. This annoys me to no end becuase qualified doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. have to wait for years to qualify to immigrate to Canada and yet we are allowing nannies and unskilled workers to get their residency sooner? How does that make sense and how is that in Canada's long term interests?

If TFW's want to call this country home and be treated like any other immigrants, as you claim, then they should be subject to the same scrutiny and standards as all other immigrants as well. You can't have it both ways.

Hi. I realize that if you are a high skilled worker and you have to wait for too long to get PR. Nannies and caregiver is a different program since then and you just talking that we got our PR easily. Didnt you realize until now there are no PR yet for 2010 to 2012 applicant? So in total of 6 years for others and counting. I know its easy to get our papers, yet the processing and frustrating experiece being caregiver is hard. Have you been abuse PHYSICALY. MENTALLY. EMOTIONALY. FINANCIALLY by your employer before? Well because if you do that is our experience before we get our PR. We get minimum wage w/c is 9$ per hour plus unpaid overtime and everything. this experience is not for all caregivers but most of them. Dont be annoyed because we are not getting it just like easy what you think. I know we are not skilled like you but the job that we are doing is not just normal job. Just keep in mind

We are not skilled like doctors or nurse but we take care kids, elderly, disable. We are not lawyer but we give advice and opinion to our client. We are not accountant but we do calculation for our pay cheque ( most of the employer asking you to do it because they dont know), we are not construction worker but we help them to build their basement, roof top, back yard, fence and everything. We are not cook or chef but we cook for them for every single day ( 3 times a day ).

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
wins26 said:
Didnt you realize until now there are no PR yet for 2010 to 2012 applicant? So in total of 6 years for others and counting. I know its easy to get our papers, yet the processing and frustrating experiece being caregiver is hard. Have you been abuse PHYSICALY. MENTALLY. EMOTIONALY. FINANCIALLY by your employer before? Well because if you do that is our experience before we get our PR. Dont be annoyed because we are not getting it just like easy what you think. I know we are not skilled like you but the job that we are doing is not just normal job. Just keep in mind
I'm not sure what you are talking about, because this shows that over 5,000 live in caregivers got their PR in 2011 alone.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/2013-11-e.htm

I'm sure if you found the 2012 and 2013 figures, they would be significantly higher (given the growth in the overall program and number of TFW's).

I'm not saying that a caregiver job is easy. My point was that it doesn't make economic sense for Canada to allow in as many TFW's seeking PR as regular PR's each year, particularly since the "bar" for qualification for TFW's is much lower than regular PR streams. I believe that TFW's should have to qualify in the same manner as everyone else if they wish to apply for PR status. If they can't, they should return to their countries at the end of their contract as they are just in Canada temporarily.

kafka khaos

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stopDA said:
If Canadians don't want the job because it's below them or too inconvenient, then somebody else has to do it. There's a real social stigma associated with working at McDonald's that very few people are willing to work there and would rather collect employment insurance instead.
Not true. I applied at Macdoanlds when i was fresh out of high school. I would have loved to have worked there. But they didn't even interview me. My cousin worked at macdoanlds for many years, and was trained by them and eventually became a manager. It was a great experience for her too. And she stayed so long with them because it was indeed a decent job and they offered her raises based on her increasing experience, etc.

Now, if you are a Canadian, MacDonalds says they would prefer not to hire you. The CEO has admitted that!

"Here’s the kicker. The kicker is there’s an element of truth in each of these stories," Betts said. McDonald's Canada has agreed to a third-party investigation of all locations that use temporary foreign workers. "What we’ve got to do is fix what we have in the restaurants concerning the temporary foreign workers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mcdonald-s-canada-ceo-calls-foreign-worker-controversy-bullshit-1.2621151

( This link probably wont get posted because it has a swear word in the url lol )

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
wins26 said:
HWe get minimum wage w/c is 9$ per hour plus unpaid overtime and everything.
Again, I'm not sure where you are getting your information. Minimum wage is now $11 per hour and the law mandates that all employers must pay overtime. If you are not receiving this, there are plenty of avenues for you to file a complaint.

You are correct that the job isn't easy. But does that mean we should hand out work visas and PR to all workers who have difficult jobs? Or, should we pick those people who will further the country and promote the economy, as the entire immigration program was designed to do?

kafka khaos

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
Again, I'm not sure where you are getting your information. Minimum wage is now $11 per hour and the law mandates that all employers must pay overtime. If you are not receiving this, there are plenty of avenues for you to file a complaint.
Why would he/she complain when it will jeoprodise the PR? She will just suffer the abuse in silence, the employer benefits by having a below-minimum wage nanny/slave, and eventually she gets a PR and moves on to a better job. It's the perfect system. Canadians are racist if they disagree with this system (sarcasm).

mcbuang

May 2, 2014
Hi guys, i just arrived yesterday here in vancouver, and i got my work permit without even asking anything, im a food server in fortmc. Guys to those people that have a flight soon and their point of entry is in vancouver nothing to worry, everything will be fine. Just always keep the faith. :D

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
kafka khaos said:
Why would he/she complain when it will jeoprodise the PR? She will just suffer the abuse in silence, the employer benefits by having a below-minimum wage nanny/slave, and eventually she gets a PR and moves on to a better job. It's the perfect system. Canadians are racist if they disagree with this system (sarcasm).
Lol. In my experience, caregivers in Canada are well aware of their rights and have no hesitation in filing complaints. While I'm sure some are living in abusive conditions, I've also seen many caregivers who "play the system" very effectively. I came across one who had received an OWP, sponsored her sibling as a caregiver for herself and was trying to find her sibling a job illegally.

prasprime

Dec 16, 2013
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you got visa, already. Then you are good to go.

No problem at all.

If you applied now or recent days. You application will be rejected. :(

Thank you

mcbuang said:
Hi guys, i just arrived yesterday here in vancouver, and i got my work permit without even asking anything, im a food server in fortmc. Guys to those people that have a flight soon and their point of entry is in vancouver nothing to worry, everything will be fine. Just always keep the faith. :D

lnpiercy

May 6, 2014
Thanks torontosm for responding so eloquently, you have explained clearly why this program is flawed and why people have taken issue with it. Cheers.

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kafka khaos said:
I never said that Canadians are racist if they disagree with the system. However, when expressing their disapproval of the program, a hell of a lot of them use racist dialogue and label us with such disparaging terms as if we're nothing but a bunch of filthy objects who have no better purpose in life than to please them whenever it's convenient. Why don't you go to a random news article and read the comments that label TFWs as a bunch of filthy "turd-worlders". Who's to say that we're all from poor, undeveloped, "third-world countries"? The last time I checked, there are TFWs who immigrate to Canada from the US, Australia and Europe for a wide variety of different jobs, including low-skilled ones.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
stopDA said:
I never said that Canadians are racist if they disagree with the system. However, when expressing their disapproval of the program, a hell of a lot of them use racist dialogue and label us with such disparaging terms as if we're nothing but a bunch of filthy objects who have no better purpose in life than to please them whenever it's convenient. Why don't you go to a random news article and read the comments that label TFWs as a bunch of filthy "turd-worlders". Who's to say that we're all from poor, undeveloped, "third-world countries"? The last time I checked, there are TFWs who immigrate to Canada from the US, Australia and Europe for a wide variety of different jobs, including low-skilled ones.
You are absolutely correct that the comments on some of the public news sites are filled with nonsensical hatred from people hiding behind the anonymity that the Internet affords. However, just as you said that TFW's differ in terms of background and can't be labeled, Canadians too can not be stereotyped. The people making those comments represent a very small segment of the overall population, and shouldn't be considered representative of all Canadians.

My comments on this forum are not intended to be personal in any way. My issue is with the structure of the system that the current government has created, and I think immigration reform is desperately required across the board.