VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
zardoz said:
The problem is that the WHOLE program is getting a bad reputation, simply because it's not just low-skilled LMOs that are being abused. It's happening elsewhere and these are just the ones that have been caught/publicised.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rbc-replaces-canadian-staff-with-foreign-workers-1.1315008

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04/12/rbc-foreign-workers-middle-class_n_3065554.html

It's all about "perception" and at the moment the TFW program is getting "perceived".
I agree, you can't out right change the perception. But the stats are different and this is exactly what i am trying to highlight as best as i can.

Both of above links are more than a year old and TFW program was completely revamped in May 2013 AFTER the above quoted news (exactly based upon the uproar then) to tighten the process and changed wages etc. rules. Those have been in effect since.

Additionally, although those were skilled jobs, i am yet to hear of a single case which truly covers a role for which actual skills are missing in Canada and is still abused. I know of at least 25-30 people directly in skilled technical positions (including Post doc professors in a specialized research area which simply got through because they don't have Canadians in those domains), at more than one place, none of those were misused EVER.

At my company we usually have 20 or so jobs listed at any given time on average all of which are posted publicly on website for much longer than needed for LMO's. Typically 6 months or more. Some of those, we are able to find qualified locals for - others we simply don't. When we ask our HR, they are eager to tell us, "We are only willing to look at international candidates for posts in xxxx category where we know and have desperately tried and failed to find Canadians - not for months, but years".

Going through the process is still not suitable from a business perspective (the delay and cost involved for my employer either) so they only do it when there is no other option. And perhaps this level of scrutiny is the reason that when they do apply, they get LMO's with in a month. Even then the work visa and time till actually getting a person to start working takes up to 3 months or more. Not to mention that some body with these kind of skills are hard to find even when you are looking at a global scale. These are not typical guys willing to catch the next plane to Canada even if offered to. Some of them out right refuse to leave their home countries, some just don't see its worth the issues. So it is a painful process for every one.

But i can assure you, if you don't do that, the company is going to loose business right away. It just cannot run a division without having a team of qualified people.

And i am damn sure my employer is not an exception. There are plenty of others.

Criticize this program further, and probably you are going to start loosing even more jobs that Canadians can do. It is a lot of taxes from people like us due to which Government is able to make investments. And there are a lot of Canadians employed in my company which won't exist if company doesn't generate revenue.

This is far less a personal concern at all because i am through with most of the process already and probably by the time / if any thing of this sort happens, i doubt it would have any impact on me. But i am sure if you use your vote to bring any thing like this in practice, you are going to end up with more job less Canadians and torn out economy - nothing less.

So before going forward with a "perception", please do your home work if the chanting actually is beneficial for you (Canadians) or not.

Just my two cents.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Just saw this.. I think someone was asking about it. http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=NoticeOrder&Mode=1&Language=E&Parl=41&Ses=2&File=5

Opposition Motion — Deferred recorded division

April 29, 2014 — Deferred recorded division on the motion of Ms. Sims (Newton—North Delta), seconded by Mrs. Groguhé (Saint-Lambert), — That, in the opinion of the House, the Temporary Foreign Worker Program has been open to abuse resulting in the firing of qualified Canadian workers, lower wages and the exploitation of temporary foreign workers, and therefore the government should: (a) impose an immediate moratorium on the Stream for Lower-skilled Occupations, which includes fast-food, service and restaurant jobs; and (b) request an urgent audit of the whole program by the Auditor General.

Recorded division — deferred until Wednesday, April 30, 2014, at the expiry of the time provided for Government Orders, pursuant to Standing Order 45.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
zardoz said:
It's all about "perception" and at the moment the TFW program is getting "perceived".
Exactly. It's like I mentioned here.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bad-news-for-tfw-under-food-service-processing-their-lmo-t199334.0.html;msg3079411#msg3079411

nand kishor

Star Member
May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
6242 COOK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25TH MAY 2011
Doc's Request.
20TH JULY 2011
AOR Received.
17TH AUG 2011
IELTS Request
SENT
Med's Request
16TH JAN 2012
Med's Done....
24TH JAN 2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
5TH JUNE 2012
VISA ISSUED...
received PP on 7th july 2012
LANDED..........
15 july 2012
hi guys,
one of my friend got work visa as a cook on march 2014 and planning to come at Vancouver next month.Does he will have any problem at airport(immigration dept) due to moratorium situation////
need suggestion

ULYA

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb24,2012
AOR Received.
March9,2012 dated March1, 2012
Med's Request
March9,2012 dated March1, 2012
Med's Done....
March14,2012, send at CEM March 27, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 3, May 9 received
LANDED..........
June 3!!! THANK YOU LORD
Is front desk clerk job affected too? I didn't see any noc code from the the list pls advice thanks
Hoping this banned issue will be temporary only

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bcmattu said:
Sir, Any links on this news. This could be something to look forward to. Keeping fingers crossed.
The House of Commons voted against placing a moratorium on the entire low-skilled program. If they agreed to a moratorium, it would be all over the news right now. I've also seen a news article that vaguely indicated that Kenney managed to save the program from a broader moratorium. He's also putting forth changes to the TFWP soon and hopefully, it probably means that he's ending this moratorium soon.

mdeleon

Mar 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
" There's always light at the end of the tunnel" Don't lose hope guys :)

For those TFW who is going for a flight to canada please keep us posted please. We need to know if you guys were able to get wp at the poe.

faizal3788

Star Member
Feb 28, 2014
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is the exact position of people who have applied for work permit and waiting for 6 months????

mcbuang

May 2, 2014
Hello, i as heard about the news im very worried about my situation, i will arrived in canada soon as may 12, 2014. I already received my passport with a working visa last january 20, 2014, is my status also affected? As i talked to my employer all my papers was legal, i wanted to know who are those people covered in a new moratorium?
Please help me to have an accurate info regarding this matters. Thank you.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
mcbuang said:
Hello, i as heard about the news im very worried about my situation, i will arrived in canada soon as may 12, 2014. I already received my passport with a working visa last january 20, 2014, is my status also affected? As i talked to my employer all my papers was legal, i wanted to know who are those people covered in a new moratorium?
What is the job for which you are selected? And the noc code. Only jobs related to food industry are effected. More over, as you already got the wp in your hand, I don't think your visa will be effected. This is what I know. Maybe, experts have to elaborate!

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mcbuang said:
Check your NOC code against the moratorium list. Work visa is not a work permit. Work permit should be given at the Point of Entry based on the work visa.

mdeleon

Mar 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mcbuang said:
hi mcbuang, what did your employer tell you? some of the people here in the forum got their wp at poe, are you from food industry? Can you please post here once arrive in canada, I also have the same situation as yours, though I haven't book a flight yet. so please keep us updated as your flight will be soon. Thank you. Hope everything will be fine.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
taleodor said:
Check your NOC code against the moratorium list. Work visa is not a work permit. Work permit should be given at the Point of Entry based on the work visa.
Second that. The visa is basically a trv to enter / exit Canada. No body gets the actual work permit in home country. It is a "Letter of introduction" that embassy emails you based upon which you get an actual wp at the port of entry, although it is kind of considered a "pre-approved work permit".

However, for some body belonging to food industry related NOC / job, situation is uncertain and they are most likely going to be refused (even if they already received Letter of intro).

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
Seems like the tfw changes are just around the corner.

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2014/05/01/kenney-preparing-to-tighten-rules-for-temporary-foreign-workers-program/