+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Backlog explanation in SOP

Pkrtvd30

Sep 12, 2021
Hi everyone
New on this forum.
I graduated with Bachelor of engineering in Civil Engineering from a reputed private university in Dec 2021. My overall CGPA is 6.4. Prior to Degree, I have a diploma in Civil Engineering with 63%. And before that , 60% marks in 12th standard. All this in continuity. There's a gap of 4-5 years after 10 standard, but my last 3 qualifications have been in continuation. My big problem is 18 backlogs in Degree (18 as per University Backlog certificate/ 30 if we count number of attempts). Some serious family issues were there. My IELTS score is 8 bands, not less than 7 in any module. I'm admitted to A Ontario College Graduate Certificate program in Construction Project Management, which is perfectly relevant to my previous studies and i am showing funds over 30-40 lakhs,after paying tuition and GIC. please guide me if i need to mention and explain my backlogs in SOP. I'll be grateful for any help I can get

Sheena87

Star Member
Mar 27, 2019
Hi everyone
New on this forum.
I graduated with Bachelor of engineering in Civil Engineering from a reputed private university in Dec 2021. My overall CGPA is 6.4. Prior to Degree, I have a diploma in Civil Engineering with 63%. And before that , 60% marks in 12th standard. All this in continuity. There's a gap of 4-5 years after 10 standard, but my last 3 qualifications have been in continuation. My big problem is 18 backlogs in Degree (18 as per University Backlog certificate/ 30 if we count number of attempts). Some serious family issues were there. My IELTS score is 8 bands, not less than 7 in any module. I'm admitted to A Ontario College Graduate Certificate program in Construction Project Management, which is perfectly relevant to my previous studies and i am showing funds over 30-40 lakhs,after paying tuition and GIC. please guide me if i need to mention and explain my backlogs in SOP. I'll be grateful for any help I can get
Based on what I have read on this forum, if the college has not asked for a backlog summary, then there is no need to mention it in your SOP. But in your case, as you say it was a serious family issue that led to the backlogs. So you can explain that which will put you in a better light. Else VO may reject you on the basis of poor academic record.

Pkrtvd30

Sep 12, 2021
Based on what I have read on this forum, if the college has not asked for a backlog summary, then there is no need to mention it in your SOP. But in your case, as you say it was a serious family issue that led to the backlogs. So you can explain that which will put you in a better light. Else VO may reject you on the basis of poor academic record.
Thank you ! And will I have to attach proof justifying it?

StruggleHard

Sep 10, 2021
Hi everyone
New on this forum.
Hi there,

You do not need to mention gap after 10th. And I believe your biggest hurdle is to explain the course you have taken. Backlogs may not be that much issue if you clearly explain & convenience the visa officer about your future studies and motivation to pursue at this time. Do not mention about your weak point(Backlogs) in your sop to give a chance to VO to think on that instead give strong reasons to pursue further studies and the outcomes of the proposed studies,so that he spend his time on this. IELTS score is great, funds are also more than enough.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
IRCC looks at backlogs very carefully. The big issue you need to address is how you will deal with the stress of being away, without family and perhaps still have family issues and it not affect your studies in Canada. Canada doesn‘t have backlogs. You will end up on academic suspension if you can’t pass your courses.