+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born outside of Canada to PR parents

ansonkeh

Feb 19, 2010
Hi! My wife will be giving birth outside of Canada. Both she and I are PR.
What are the procedures for my new born baby to become a PR also?

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ansonkeh said:
Hi! My wife will be giving birth outside of Canada. Both she and I are PR.
What are the procedures for my new born baby to become a PR also?

Thanks!
1. It depends, if the child requires a TRV (visitor visa) then you may find that the overseas office will not issue one nor a Temporary Resident Permit for the child. If so then one of the parents will have to return to Canada to submit a sponsorship for the child.
2. If the child is from a visa exempt country, then it is possible to return to Canada with the child, and then submit a sponsorship application, using either the country of citizenship office for the processing, or if s/he is admitted for a year, then you could also use Buffalo.

ansonkeh

Feb 19, 2010
PMM said:
Hi

1. It depends, if the child requires a TRV (visitor visa) then you may find that the overseas office will not issue one nor a Temporary Resident Permit for the child. If so then one of the parents will have to return to Canada to submit a sponsorship for the child.
2. If the child is from a visa exempt country, then it is possible to return to Canada with the child, and then submit a sponsorship application, using either the country of citizenship office for the processing, or if s/he is admitted for a year, then you could also use Buffalo.
Thanks PMM for the reply.

One of us will have to return to Canada to submit the sponsorship since we are not from visa exempt country.

However, how do we do the sponsorship for the child once we are in Canada? Do we download the forms from a website and need to submit personally? What documents are neede and which office in Canada should we refer to.

Thanks for your help as always!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ansonkeh said:
Thanks PMM for the reply.

One of us will have to return to Canada to submit the sponsorship since we are not from visa exempt country.

However, how do we do the sponsorship for the child once we are in Canada? Do we download the forms from a website and need to submit personally? What documents are neede and which office in Canada should we refer to.

Thanks for your help as always!
1. The application and sponsorship are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
2. You submit the complete application and sponsorship to Mississauga with the medical receipt and copies of the passport and fees.
3. If the sponsorship is approved, the application will be then sent to the overseas processing office.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
PMM said:
Hi

1. The application and sponsorship are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
2. You submit the complete application and sponsorship to Mississauga with the medical receipt and copies of the passport and fees.
3. If the sponsorship is approved, the application will be then sent to the overseas processing office.
PMM:

I'm missing a point.

If the sponsorship of the child will be outland, i.e. through an embassy abroad, why must a parent PR come to Canada to submit the application? For example, I (Canadian) submitted the application for my wife's spousal visa from abroad. Is a PR sponsorship of a child -- processed through an embassy abroad -- not the same thing?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Toby,

The OP and spouse are both PR and having a child outside Canada. Sure, one of the parents must come to Canada to submit the application.

But, if you (being Canadian citizen) having a child outside Canada, you should be applying for your child's Canadian citizenship instead of PR! You don't have come to Canada to submit the application. Go to any Canadian consulate in China for relevant Citizenship Services instead.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
If the sponsorship of the child will be outland, i.e. through an embassy abroad, why must a parent PR come to Canada to submit the application? For example, I (Canadian) submitted the application for my wife's spousal visa from abroad. Is a PR sponsorship of a child -- processed through an embassy abroad -- not the same thing?
A PR can only sponsor from inside Canada, whether it is a spouse or a child or another relative.

A Canadian citizen is allowed to sponsor a spouse or a dependent child(*) while living outside Canada as long as they show plans to move to Canada when the spouse or child gets their PR. If they are sponsoring other relatives, for example their parents, they must be living in Canada to do that.

(*) A citizen having to sponsor a child for PR is an exception that would only happen if it is your wife's child and not yours that you are sponsoring or if you are a Canadian born abroad but with inherited citizenship in which case you can not pass on citizenship to your children.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Thanks Peon, PMM, and Steaky.

Geez ... the rules give me a headache. Thanks for providing some aspirin.