+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

baby born in USA to Canadian mother - passport/ citizenship questions

zyas

Aug 31, 2012
Hi

I just had a baby in the USA (I'm a Canadian Citizen but I am living in the USA, married to an American and I now have my Greencard). Is it true that my baby already has dual citizenship? I am hoping to travel to Canada with her in a couple months but I'm wondering do I apply for her to get an American passport or a Canadian passport, or does she need both? I know I also have to apply for a citizenship card for her through the Canadian embassy and that that can take awhile. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Thanks!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Are you a first generation Canadian - that is, born in Canada or naturalized in Canada? If so, then your children are Canadian citizens. You just need to obtain their certificate of Canadian Citizenship, then you can obtain a passport for them. Your children will also be American citizens (by virtue of your spouse). They should have both passports. US law requires that a US Citizen enter the United States on their US passport.

I'd suggest starting here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-eligibility.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only case where a Canadian parent can not pass citizenship to their children would be if you yourself were born outside Canada and gained citizenship by heritage, that is because your parent(s) were Canadian citizens when you were born. If you were born in Canada yourself or you immigrated to Canada, even if you immigrated as a child with your parents, you can pass on citizenship to your children.

You should then apply for a citizenship certificate for your daughter through the embassy. It might take 9-10 months to get it. In the meantime, you can apply for a temporary Canadian passport through the embassy if you want to. You can ask them if they think it is necessary. If you are only going to Canada to visit, you would not have a problem for the baby to travel on her US passport because US citizens are visa exempt.

For the future, it is better that you take care of the citizenship certificate now as well her her Canadian passport. Who knows what will happen in the future. The more documents she has, the better her chance of proving her Canadian citizenship in the future if she has to. I have seen many people come here looking for help who would have qualified for citizenship but their parent never applied for them, the parent has since died, the documents have been lost and it is very hard for them to prove their case.

zyas

Aug 31, 2012
thanks so much! Yes I was born in Canada so I am a first generation Canadian. I just wanted to make sure we started on the paperwork now to make things easier for her in the future.

ostavljena

Apr 4, 2013
baby born in Bosnia to Canadian mother - passport/ citizenship questions

Hello :( we are Canadian citizens and our third child I was born outside of Canada. My husband returned and we are trapped because my baby can not immediately get a passport. Because we thought it would be faster if it is applied in Canada we have fulfilled the necessary documents and send directly. However we have not received any information that they have taken in the case considered. My question is whether we made a mistake and should be sent to the nearest embassy and whether it will in any case receive a response. Thank you :(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ostavljena said:
Hello :( we are Canadian citizens and our third child I was born outside of Canada. My husband returned and we are trapped because my baby can not immediately get a passport. Because we thought it would be faster if it is applied in Canada we have fulfilled the necessary documents and send directly. However we have not received any information that they have taken in the case considered. My question is whether we made a mistake and should be sent to the nearest embassy and whether it will in any case receive a response. Thank you :(
Actually, the slowest way to get a citizenship certificate is to apply in Canada on behalf of a child that is not in Canada. You can see the processing times for a citizenship certificate here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp

It says total processing time 6 months, that is applying in Canada for a child in Canada.

It says applying through an embassy outside Canada, add 3 to 4 months so total processing time 9 to 10 months.

It says applying in Canada on behalf of a child not in Canada, add 6 to 8 months so total 12 to 14 months.

In any case, there is an option to get to Canada before you get the citizenship certificate and that is applying for a temporary passport for your baby at the embassy based on an urgent need to travel. You will have to prove that you do have an urgent need to travel by providing your flight tickets for example and you will have to prove that you have applied for a citizenship certificate so if your husband applied for it in Canada instead of applying at the embassy, you will have to wait until the visa office in Canada sends you an acknowledgement letter that you have applied. This can take about 2 months after applying from what I've heard.

ostavljena

Apr 4, 2013
I have another question . Whether there is a special application form for temporary passport or I can use form for passport abroad with explanation why I need passport for my baby ? Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ostavljena said:
I have another question . Whether there is a special application form for temporary passport or I can use form for passport abroad with explanation why I need passport for my baby ? Thank you
Ask the embassy