+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born in the U.S and I'm a canadian citizen, can I come back after my baby is born by 1 day?

alserri

Sep 13, 2017
I'm a canadian citizen and I'm always in the U.S for work, if my wife delivers our baby pre-maturely in the U.S, can I enter canada after my wife delivers, or will the border officers will deny us entry? we usually stay in hotels, we dont have a fixed address, I'm worried if my wife delivers pre-maturely.

once we come back to canada, do I get an OHIP card right away for the baby or do i have to wait.

I run a company and my job is very important and I have no family for me to leave my wife, I cant leave her alone.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A baby needs identity documents when crossing the border like everyone else. There would also be a 3 month wait time before your baby got OHIP but he/she would need to be declared a Canadian citizen first.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A baby needs identity documents when crossing the border like everyone else. There would also be a 3 month wait time before your baby got OHIP but he/she would need to be declared a Canadian citizen first.
What makes you think that OP and family lives primary in Ontario? He said they usually stayed in hotels and don't have fixed address. Besides work in US is important to them.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
If you can't leave your wife (and baby when he/she is born) alone in Ontario, then the baby and your wife will be living with you in the US? From your story, it seems you are a non-resident of Ontario, this means that even YOU are not eligible for OHIP, if you still use yours and the government finds out, be prepared to pay for all costs you've used OHIP on. As canuck said, your baby needs proof of citizenship in Canada before being eligible for OHIP. Once the citizenship certificate is acquired, the baby must be a resident of Ontario for atleast 3 months to become eligible for OHIP. If the baby (and your wife) stay with you in the US and are also non-residents, then they are also ineligible for OHIP.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can't leave your wife (and baby when he/she is born) alone in Ontario, then the baby and your wife will be living with you in the US? From your story, it seems you are a non-resident of Ontario, this means that even YOU are not eligible for OHIP, if you still use yours and the government finds out, be prepared to pay for all costs you've used OHIP on. As canuck said, your baby needs proof of citizenship in Canada before being eligible for OHIP. Once the citizenship certificate is acquired, the baby must be a resident of Ontario for atleast 3 months to become eligible for OHIP. If the baby (and your wife) stay with you in the US and are also non-residents, then they are also ineligible for OHIP.
Depending on how the OP got his citizenship, the baby might not be a citizen by descent. In that case, the OP and wife would have to sponsor the baby for Canadian PR and become PR before the baby would be eligible for OHIP.

Reactions: jddd

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Depending on how the OP got his citizenship, the baby might not be a citizen by descent. In that case, the OP and wife would have to sponsor the baby for Canadian PR and become PR before the baby would be eligible for OHIP.
That's a good to know steaky, thanks!

As a father, I would not advise on having the child travel at 1 day old anyway (to OP), I know you could be right by the border but you never know. Good luck though.