Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2014
AOR Received.
PER: 14-11-2014
IELTS Request
Already Submitted
We are both permanent resident in Canada moved last year to Canada and we are expecting baby in 3-4 weeks. I have few questions.

1. What is the process of applying his passport? How long is processing time?
2. We want to take him back home as soon as possible - what is the soonest we can go? How do we apply for visa for Pakistan? What do I need to consider/ Vaccinations?

Thankyou

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
1. Same as all other Canadian. His certificate of birth would be enough to prove his citizenship

R

rish888

Passport is with his birth certificate. As far as going to Pakistan, check with the Pakistani embassy responsible for your region in Canada on the policies they have in place for Canadian children born to Pakistani parents.

My understanding is that Pakistan has dual nationality arrangements with certain countries (including Canada) that would allow your child to have both Pakistani and Canadian citizenships.

As you and your wife a Permanent Residents, just a gentle reminder regarding your 2/5 year residency obligation. Just be sure to comply with this or you risk loosing your PR status.

Congratulations!

xceptional88

Jul 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2014
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
Already Submitted
1. Same as all other Canadian. His certificate of birth would be enough to prove his citizenship
Thankyou, but do I get the birth certificate immediately from the hospital?

Do I submit the passport application online?

How long will it take to get the passport?

xceptional88

Jul 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2014
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
Already Submitted
Passport is with his birth certificate. As far as going to Pakistan, check with the Pakistani embassy responsible for your region in Canada on the policies they have in place for Canadian children born to Pakistani parents.

My understanding is that Pakistan has dual nationality arrangements with certain countries (including Canada) that would allow your child to have both Pakistani and Canadian citizenships.

As you and your wife a Permanent Residents, just a gentle reminder regarding your 2/5 year residency obligation. Just be sure to comply with this or you risk loosing your PR status.

Congratulations!
I meant to ask someone who has gone through this process since Pakistan embassy is very unpredictable sometimes - have incomplete information on their website and are not very kind to reply quick enough.

Pakistan do have a dual nationality, my question was if I apply passport here or get a residency card and go there and apply from within Pakistan - what is faster.

Thankyou for the reminder - we intend to come back in 2 months, just first baby and first two months we want to take him home to meet rest of the family and help us in beginning since our parents did not get visa to visit us.

R

rish888

The Canadian part of things is smooth. You need a birth certificate. (functions as proof of Canadian citizenship) You take this along with some passport application forms and apply for your child's Canadian passport.

I'm sorry, but I cannot help you on the Pakistani side of things as I have no knowledge of the process. I recommend getting in touch with the Pakistani embassy in Canada. I think it's better to finish off his Pakistani passport in Canada. I know a thing or two about embassies in general and usually the service you will get at an embassy tends to be better than what you get in the country itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rish888

The kid's Canadian passport should come pretty quick. 10 business days if you go physically to the passport office. I believe the forms are all paper based.

The Pakistani side of things may take a bit more time. I did some quick google searches and I would budget at least a month for you to get your child registered in Pakistani ID databases a and get a Pakistani passport.

The embassy can provide you the most accurate information on this matter. Just keep on calling, someone will pick up!

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Thankyou, but do I get the birth certificate immediately from the hospital?

Do I submit the passport application online?

How long will it take to get the passport?
you have to do the birth certificate and registration online and for Ontario government takes about 6 to 8 weeks with the governor general of Ontario and 15 days for birth certificate plus they do the vaccations when baby is 2 months and Ohip take 30 days

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure many doctors would recommend any travel especially a long haul flight for a new baby with no vacinnations. Also your wife could end up needing a c-secetion or needing further time to heal. As first time parents you may not realize how challenging it will be with a newborn just being at home. Travelling will be a minor nightmare and the rest of the plane will probably hate you. Hope you will consider seeing how things go before booking flights. Best of luck!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure many doctors would recommend any travel especially a long haul flight for a new baby with no vacinnations. Also your wife could end up needing a c-secetion or needing further time to heal. As first time parents you may not realize how challenging it will be with a newborn just being at home. Travelling will be a minor nightmare and the rest of the plane will probably hate you. Hope you will consider seeing how things go before booking flights. Best of luck!
I always seated near newborn baby. I don't really mind. I guess you don't do lots of traveling.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I always seated ne ar newborn baby. I don't really mind. I guess you don't do lots of traveling.
I love babies but don't want to be next to one for a transaltlantic flight where I might want to get some sleep. I have even held babies because mothers were losing their minds. Wouldn't also recommend going on a long haul flight which is usually packed with a 2i/3 month old. Wouldn't want the baby to be exposed to any upper respiratory infection or anything worse. This couple is looking at probably 24 hours of travel minimum. Could be fine but also could be a nightmare. They are going to do what they want but any doctor would likely also recommend restricting commercial air travel until at least the first set of vaccinations kick in.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Priority here should be the health of the new born so the OP must check with their health professional what vaccinations might be required as a minimum especially given the long travel time and the destination country.

Babies in the first months simply have not had much exposure to the 'real world' to build up their immune system especially for a long multi time zone plane trip and if were me I would wait until near 6 months old for things to settle down and for a routine to be established but ultimately is the OPs decision to make of course. Plus of course do not forget the mother and any post birth checkups and support.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I love babies but don't want to be next to one for a transaltlantic flight where I might want to get some sleep. I have even held babies because mothers were losing their minds. Wouldn't also recommend going on a long haul flight which is usually packed with a 2i/3 month old. Wouldn't want the baby to be exposed to any upper respiratory infection or anything worse. This couple is looking at probably 24 hours of travel minimum. Could be fine but also could be a nightmare. They are going to do what they want but any doctor would likely also recommend restricting commercial air travel until at least the first set of vaccinations kick in.
I hardly sleep during transpacific flight, so I don't mind sitting near babies. Seen many people traveling with infants and there shouldn't be any problem.