+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born in canada for PR Parents

ngk

Mar 29, 2008
Hi there,

Me and my wife are PR. My wife is expecting baby in march. we are just wondering how long it takes to get baby birth certificate and when can we apply for passport?

Could someone throw light on this? or did someone came across the similar situation? Please share your experience.

Thanks!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Birth certificates are issued by the provinces, so I would check with the province you are in to find out.

ngk said:
Hi there,

Me and my wife are PR. My wife is expecting baby in march. we are just wondering how long it takes to get baby birth certificate and when can we apply for passport?

Could someone throw light on this? or did someone came across the similar situation? Please share your experience.

Thanks!

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
information related to Ontario:

'Using the Newborn Registration Service to apply online means you`ll get the birth certificate several weeks faster than if you applied by paper. Once the registration has been completed, your child`s birth certificate will be issued within 15 business days.'

plus about 15 days for passport.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's 3 weeks for the passport if you apply directly to Passport Canada. If you apply to one of the many receiving offices (like a post office) it takes twice as long. :(

Suin said:
information related to Ontario:

'Using the Newborn Registration Service to apply online means you`ll get the birth certificate several weeks faster than if you applied by paper. Once the registration has been completed, your child`s birth certificate will be issued within 15 business days.'

plus about 15 days for passport.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I got my Canadian passport about 18 months ago, it took exactly 2 weeks from the time I went to the passport office until I had it in my hand through the mail. That's the time they give on their website or 4 weeks if you apply by mail instead of going there.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
on the official Passport Canada site you can read the following info:

Processing times

As of December 15, 2009
Options for submitting
a completed application Processing times
(not including delivery time)
In person 2 weeks
By mail 4 weeks
Through a Receiving Agent
(Service Canada or Canada Post)
4 weeks

Your passport will be sent to you by mail. If you wish to pick up your passport at a Passport Canada office instead of having it mailed to you, you must submit your completed passport application in person at a Passport Canada office.* In addition to the regular passport fee, the following fees will apply.
Pick-up services Additional fees Processing times
Urgent pick-up $70 24 hours
Express pick-up $30 2-9 business days
Pick-up $10 10 business days

For urgent and express pick-up, you may be required to provide proof of travel. Passport Canada will take appropriate action on a case-by-case basis.

you can also check this link for more details:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/service.aspx?lang=eng