Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2014
Doc's Request.
12-18-2014 (Evidence of return to Canada & RTRF)
AOR Received.
28-08-2014
File Transfer...
28-08-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waoved
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Received April 25th
LANDED..........
ETA May 14
lleahdoll said:
Wouldn't my tablet be just on my initial "goods" list? Not goods to follow? Just to clarify, I'm in Canada right now. When I get PR, I'll be flying to the states to get my belongings that are stored away. I'll be bringing my tablet down to the states and then back into Canada.
I figured it'd be a good idea to find the receipt. We bought it online so we might have the email stored somewhere. Luckily my tablet has dropped in value bc the screen is cracked... hahah xD

They enforced you to have it when you extended your stay, or...? I've extended my stay and it's almost up now and travel insurance has never been enforced. Same when I cross the border. So, I might just take the risk of not getting any.
Just for clarification, on your initial move to Canada, anything you bring with you, is considered your "goods accompanying" anytime after your first landing, anything you bring on re entry will be "goods to follow". So the documentation for goods to follow will not be your tablet for this situation. Yes, your tablet would have a decreased value lol I'd say with cracked screen it would be worth FAR less than what you paid for it! I doubt you'll have any issues.
Your tablet will be "Goods" if you can't find a receipt I wouldn't panic, we did not have receipts for several of our items, just make sure you document everything and put serial numbers on the form. Also as long as your really easy going with the officers and organized they are far less likely to be ass's. Just remember if they have a shitty day you being prepared might make it better! :)

I drove into Canada with my wife and two dogs in the fall and was planning to stay for 6 months. When they learned we were planning to stay for more than just a weekend we had to go into the office and I had to do several things. Including leaving my passport with them while I drove into Canada and purchased medical insurance, and proof of funds. When you land they know that you are planning to stay extended, in BC you cannot get medical for 3 months, which meant I had to have travelers insurance. The agent did actually look at it and verify it was true medical before letting us go when I landed. If you don't feel like purchasing it prior if you are driving across the border they will hold your residence application and allow you to drive over and purchase medical, as your flying I'm not sure how that works. You could always call the port of entry where you are planning to land and speak with a live body to verify.
3 Months of medical works out to around 250$ if not less, so it might even be worth just purchasing it. That is for 50,000$ coverage and no deductible. You can still get cheaper too.

wjmund

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
Creston, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2015
My wife may be landing in Vancouver (from China) to reside in BC. Is it mandatory to have travel insurance, and when and where is good place to purchase this. Thanks..

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
I do believe Ashley, but this is the first I've ever heard of it. I know lots of people who have landed without it. Maybe the rules have changed, but it also could be the port of entry, that particular officer, etc...

but from what Ashley is saying, if they do tell you that you need travel insurance, you can purchase it then. Personally, I will wait to see if it is actually needed when I land, since this is the first I've heard of anyone landing or crossing the border and being asked for this.

AshleyAnne

Dec 8, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
28-08-2014
File Transfer...
28-08-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waoved
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Received April 25th
LANDED..........
ETA May 14
Absolutley. My husband read on the other forums and from his landing documents that medical insurance was needed (IN British Columbia since we are not eligible for medical here until 3 months is up) That does NOT mean they will enforce it. We were more along the lines of wanting to be over prepared as possible to make it smooth as can be since it was a very long drive from Texas with two puppies under a year. That does not mean that you HAVE to do it or that they will care if you didn't. As a visitor they most certainly enforced it without us bringing it up. But it also is only if you are uninsured in your own country I would bet. Which we were.
I would rather be over prepared than under prepared anyday.

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 5th, 2015 (CSQ requested)
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM: Aug 1st, 2015 COPR: Aug 6th, 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
AshleyAnne said:
Absolutley. My husband read on the other forums and from his landing documents that medical insurance was needed (IN British Columbia since we are not eligible for medical here until 3 months is up) That does NOT mean they will enforce it. We were more along the lines of wanting to be over prepared as possible to make it smooth as can be since it was a very long drive from Texas with two puppies under a year. That does not mean that you HAVE to do it or that they will care if you didn't. As a visitor they most certainly enforced it without us bringing it up. But it also is only if you are uninsured in your own country I would bet. Which we were.
I would rather be over prepared than under prepared anyday.
Maybe it's just BC? You said they enforced it even as a visitor. I've flown into Montreal a handful of times now and have never been asked about medical insurance. I was insured at that time through my dad but it wasn't travel insurance. I'm now uninsured but no one's ever made it an issue.

Having travel insurance was in your landing documents? That'd be helpful if that's the case cause then we can know ahead of time.

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Really interesting. I wish I could find some information online about this. You'd think they'd have it written somewhere:/

When I visited BC for the first time, I was detained because of some dismissed charge. They grilled me hard and decided to let me in. Among countless other questions they asked me if I had health insurance, I said no, and they sent me on my way. I thought they were just asking since they were trying to decide whether or not to let me in, but maybe it is some policy.. They let me in knowing I didn't have insurance though, and mentioned nothing of travel insurance.

AshleyAnne

Dec 8, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
28-08-2014
File Transfer...
28-08-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waoved
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Received April 25th
LANDED..........
ETA May 14
It could just be the agent then.
I was moving back (Canadian citizen born and raised only in the states for school) and my hubby was with my as a visitor. Which I'm sure raised flags all on its own. He had to leave his passport and go into Canada to purchase insurance and get a print out from a bank showing is funds in his account before returning to the border and being given visitors visa. Again, could have been since I was moving home and that raised flags anyway.
This time, landing, they were so impressed with his B4 forms and info that she actually forgot about insurance and when we mentioned we had two dogs and did she want the reccords she goes "OH yeah!" and so he also mentioned he had insurance and did she need to see it, followed by "OH YEAH!!! Thanks!"

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
AshleyAnne said:
Just for clarification, on your initial move to Canada, anything you bring with you, is considered your "goods accompanying" anytime after your first landing, anything you bring on re entry will be "goods to follow". So the documentation for goods to follow will not be your tablet for this situation. Yes, your tablet would have a decreased value lol I'd say with cracked screen it would be worth FAR less than what you paid for it! I doubt you'll have any issues.
Your tablet will be "Goods" if you can't find a receipt I wouldn't panic, we did not have receipts for several of our items, just make sure you document everything and put serial numbers on the form. Also as long as your really easy going with the officers and organized they are far less likely to be ass's. Just remember if they have a *censored word*ty day you being prepared might make it better! :)

I drove into Canada with my wife and two dogs in the fall and was planning to stay for 6 months. When they learned we were planning to stay for more than just a weekend we had to go into the office and I had to do several things. Including leaving my passport with them while I drove into Canada and purchased medical insurance, and proof of funds. When you land they know that you are planning to stay extended, in BC you cannot get medical for 3 months, which meant I had to have travelers insurance. The agent did actually look at it and verify it was true medical before letting us go when I landed. If you don't feel like purchasing it prior if you are driving across the border they will hold your residence application and allow you to drive over and purchase medical, as your flying I'm not sure how that works. You could always call the port of entry where you are planning to land and speak with a live body to verify.
3 Months of medical works out to around 250$ if not less, so it might even be worth just purchasing it. That is for 50,000$ coverage and no deductible. You can still get cheaper too.
Where did you go to buy the insurance for only 3 months? Everything I have looked at says minimum 1 year. Could you share the info please? :) Thank you!

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Amalthea said:
Really interesting. I wish I could find some information online about this. You'd think they'd have it written somewhere:/

When I visited BC for the first time, I was detained because of some dismissed charge. They grilled me hard and decided to let me in. Among countless other questions they asked me if I had health insurance, I said no, and they sent me on my way. I thought they were just asking since they were trying to decide whether or not to let me in, but maybe it is some policy.. They let me in knowing I didn't have insurance though, and mentioned nothing of travel insurance.
First time I entered Canada I was pulled to the office aside. They issued me a visitor record with 14 days on it to expire. I had to hand it back in when I exited the country as "proof" that I had left the country when I was ordered to. I didn't have to do that ever again though. I don't know if its standard or just an "a-hole" officer.

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM June 2/2015 and COPR arrived June 10/2015
LANDED..........
June 15/2015 Yay! 8) PR card arrived Sept 3/2015
Mariac819 said:
Where did you go to buy the insurance for only 3 months? Everything I have looked at says minimum 1 year. Could you share the info please? :) Thank you!

We've bought it for 6 months, 3 months, and monthly now.. We started paying monthly last month as I didn't know if we'd need it again but looks like we may need to buy one more month.. It was $75.33 for a month and $150,000 coverage.. You can choose a lower amount if you want than the max of $150,000. I believe you needed to start the coverage upon entry to Canada and then you could just buy more as you needed it while in Canada.. Also they will refund you unused amounts like if you buy 3 months but cancel before you use the time up etc..

We used Optimal Travel, and our agent here in Moncton is Dianne Johnson 1-888-450-4950 extension #3 dianne@optimaltravel.ca

AshleyAnne

Dec 8, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
28-08-2014
File Transfer...
28-08-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waoved
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Received April 25th
LANDED..........
ETA May 14
We bought our 3 months online.
I just searched "travelers insurance" for Canada and a million pop up. Last time my hubby went into the local credit union/bank here called Envision and bought it there. But this time we just went online. less stressful lol

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Thanks for the info :)

Ravcat

Sep 27, 2013
NW Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Ottawa ON
App. Filed.......
8-12-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
Sent w/ App.
Med's Done....
25-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Excempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/06/2015
LANDED..........
August 7th, 2015! Through Port Huron!
Mariac819 said:
We got ours from Bluecross, they actually had an option for people immigrating...It cost us $240 I think for exactly 3 months. It does not cover anything that happens to you in the USA, you HAVE to be in Canada...we read the little booklet thoroughly :D Id rather have it than something happen and I cant go to the DR because it would cost an arm and a leg hehe. 3 months is a long time to not be covered.

smile1212

Oct 28, 2014
This is a very helpful sharing platform! I find a lot of great tips. THANKS
One question - it seems B4 form is around physical goods only, how about financial assets like cash, property overseas, deposits bank accounts balance, is it required to provide a summary as well ? If yes, for property at home, realistically we may not be able to sell our property before our landing. We may need to sell it after landing; then do we need to provide written proof of the market value of the property?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smile1212 said:
This is a very helpful sharing platform! I find a lot of great tips. THANKS
One question - it seems B4 form is around physical goods only, how about financial assets like cash, property overseas, deposits bank accounts balance, is it required to provide a summary as well ? If yes, for property at home, realistically we may not be able to sell our property before our landing. We may need to sell it after landing; then do we need to provide written proof of the market value of the property?
B4 is for physical goods only. Assets at home will be declared later when you file your tax returns (not at landing).