+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Average Car Insurance Premiums in Canada

jamesbond

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
Hello,

I know this question might have been asked before, but all I could find is that the average price per month premium is around $200-$300 if you have full G license.
Can anyone from Canada tell me what is the average premium per month or 6 months?
I also saw this comment: Never compare the premiums from Canada to those from US.
Why? In US you usually pay $30-$70/month. Is there something I don't understand?

Thank you very much!

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Insurance premium varies from place to place. In Toronto and Mississauga it is expensive, with full G it is around $ 300. In Hamilton it is $ 150-200. Ottawa $150-$ 200. After demerit points premium increases more, after accident it rockets upto $500. Every amount before this is per month. After 3 days driver education cource ( costing $150) premium decreases by $30.

The luxary of USA regarding low insurance premium is not available in Canada.
with jamesbond type driving I wonder any insurance company would agree to insure. :D so dont tell that you are james bond to them. They dont like jamesbond driving and in 3 days cource they will say that 300 times.

P

pv

well said, explorer101

If you don't have G and taking insurance on G2, then add 30-50$ more per month

I did some research and TD Insurance were able to give me lowest ( $3200 for a year) with G licence
BelAir direct is another company who gives good rate.

don't try with StateFarm and Allstate and CAA gave me astronomincal figures...

Good luck

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
pv said:
well said, explorer101

If you don't have G and taking insurance on G2, then add 30-50$ more per month

I did some research and TD Insurance were able to give me lowest ( $3200 for a year) with G licence
BelAir direct is another company who gives good rate.

don't try with StateFarm and Allstate and CAA gave me astronomincal figures...

Good luck
$3200 / year :eek:
Is it punishment? I am in USA having really good coverage with Geico and paying $600 * 2 for a year.
Do we have Geico in Canada?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
@JamesBond

If u could pile-on with another (longstanding) Canadian driver's insurance, u'd save quite a bit. The process called "adding a secondary driver to an existing insurance".

I did that with my Cop Friend's Insurance... & am paying $200/month - this is when I was just a G-1 DL holder (not fit to drive). And that's in Toronto.

Qorax

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
canada_dream100,
I was paying less than $800/yr in USA through Geico. There is no Geico in Canada.
The best I could get in toronto was $3200/yr with a full G license. This rate is only after
1. Getting a document from Geico that I did not have any claims during the last 3 years
2. Getting a driver record from DMV that there were no tickets or any other records.

Some insurance companies were quoting as high as $6000/yr in Toronto ...

P

pv

agreed with gjp, my case is similar
I had to submit last 3yrs insurance details and letter from my USA insurance provider that I have no claims and all DMV records.

Qoarx mentioned perfectly, if we get some one known we can add ourself as 2ndry driver

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
future2010 said:
Hi guys,

Is it the same price if you buy an old car let's say 2002 or 2005 model?
The insurance premium varies with price/worth of the car, no doubt. So, with a depreciated value of the veh - the charges would be reduced... But, marginally.

With us, newcomers, none of the other criterion play much a role against the premium - the median/threshold value is higher, so the heavy insurance costs. Besides Canadian auto insurance being already sky high - a Canadian driving history is a must to have some sort of playing field.

Qorax

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
Also, other than driving history and type of vehicle, other factors insurers consider are driver's gender, age and even occupation.

I moved my insurance from State Farm in the US to TD Insurance in Canada middle of this year only. I previously paid $780/year (with multi-car and no-accident discount) and now I pay $1,288/year and this is the lowest rate I got after calling about 7 different companies.

TD Insurance has offices across Canada although the signing up process can be done over the phone and without stepping into their office. A competitor insurance agent tried to discourage me by claiming that TD Insurance is only a call-center insurance company and I found this so untrue.

Guys, I encourage you to try TD Insurance. They also have the option of giving you an online quote from their website.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
@Kyu

That's some awesome rates u got on your insurance. This is by far the best (& least) Ins Premium I've known in Canada.

To all: Yes, TD Insurance is usually the lowest & most hassle free company here.

Qorax

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
qorax said:
@ Kyu

That's some awesome rates u got on your insurance. This is by far the best (& least) Ins Premium I've known in Canada.

To all: Yes, TD Insurance is usually the lowest & most hassle free company here.

Qorax
Hi Qorax,

Yes, I did my homework and really shopped around. TD online estimate/quote takes only about a few minutes and if an applicant supplies his correct information (no window dressing whatsoever) and likes the figure that comes up, that rate is binding for the next 14 days. Just be ready to supply all supporting documents, i.e. driving abstract, letter from previous insurers, etc, copy of your driver's license, as mentioned previously.

They also accept premium payments thru monthly debits, instead of requiring quarterly or half-year payments as is done in the US. Per my experience, their sign up process was fast and easy.

And to those who already have auto insurance, you do not have to keep them for a year. If you are unhappy with your rates, you can always cancel and have your fees prorated.

Good luck to all.

S.M.FARHAN

Star Member
May 18, 2010
karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2009
Doc's Request.
20-08-2009
File Transfer...
JUST 250$ PER MONTH..................................... :p

balu0427

Dec 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i am in canada for last three years, i pay $1800 per year for insurance.. this is from TD bank which was lowest when i took it.

first time insurance is always expensive... but what i learnt from insurance companies is they take into account your US insurance history, make sure you get a copy of it.. you might get here cheaper.. but dont expect like what u get there in US

btw i live in NB province which is little cheaper compared to ON or AB

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
One of my friend visits Canada often, since that trip is only for weekends, he can use his USA licence/registration/insurance.

Can someone please share, what is the case for PR applicant,

If someone moves from USA to Canada; in that case, in how many days/weeks/months one need to get Canada driver licence, registration & insurance.
OR till how many days one can use USA licence/registration/insurance.

Thanks.