+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) to enter USA with no H1B stamp (first H1B)

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Yes, AVR is allowed via air or land crossing. Also, the new rule effective from tomorrow says that you need to present negative covid result if you travel by air to USA. So, you'll havd to be cognizant of that.

Also, are you coming to USA after H1b interview in Canada? If yes, you cannot use AVR once you have given an interview and waiting for its results.

Thank you

sriinn

Star Member
May 28, 2020
Yes, AVR is allowed via air or land crossing. Also, the new rule effective from tomorrow says that you need to present negative covid result if you travel by air to USA. So, you'll havd to be cognizant of that.

Also, are you coming to USA after H1b interview in Canada? If yes, you cannot use AVR once you have given an interview and waiting for its results.

Thank you
Thank you for your response. No, I didn't give any interview yet. As we do not have any visa appointments available till June/July in Canada, am planning for short trip to Canada and come back to US. So, just want to make sure is it safe to go and come back without having Visa stamping and having Travel Ban till Mar 31st.

sriinn

Star Member
May 28, 2020
Thank you for your response. No, I didn't give any interview yet. As we do not have any visa appointments available till June/July in Canada, am planning for short trip to Canada and come back to US. So, just want to make sure is it safe to go and come back without having Visa stamping and having Travel Ban till Mar 31st.
And, Covid Test needed for road travel also?

dvp411

Feb 3, 2021
I was not sure even then, but after reading few posts in the group now got the answers, some might give a new i94 or some officers might not. It depends.
May be as you said, for easier commute(it said multiple entry on the slip, with a STAMP admit_date till 2023).

They did not ask me any question regarding family or work( may be because it was a very recent renewal). Sorry to add the point. The officer at the poe asked me , "how long was your stay in Canada?": I said 29 days.
How did you count the days? I'm confused as to how the total number of days are counted for AVR

localhost8100

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
Hey guys, I know it might sound dumb. My employer gave me only i94(bottom part). I had to do some tactics to even get a photo copy of i797. Do we need original i797 for avr or just a photo copy is fine?

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Hey guys, I know it might sound dumb. My employer gave me only i94(bottom part). I had to do some tactics to even get a photo copy of i797. Do we need original i797 for avr or just a photo copy is fine?
you need original.. but bottom portion might work as employer is legally obliged to give only that.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
You will need to present the original, as in some cases, the office might tear the bottom part of i797 and attach it to the passport.

immi1

Jun 5, 2020
Hi,

I'm planning to soft land through Peace Arch bridge NY border crossing in July. I plan to use AVR since my H1B stamp expired on my passport. Last year in Apr 2020, I booked a visa appointment In India and cancelled it due to covid restrictions. Haven't travelled outside the US since then. Will I still be able to use AVR option. Please help. Thank you

sriinn

Star Member
May 28, 2020
Hi,

I'm planning to soft land through Peace Arch bridge NY border crossing in July. I plan to use AVR since my H1B stamp expired on my passport. Last year in Apr 2020, I booked a visa appointment In India and cancelled it due to covid restrictions. Haven't travelled outside the US since then. Will I still be able to use AVR option. Please help. Thank you
Yes, you can use AVR with latest H1B approval notice.

Jul 31, 2021
My H1B is going to max out by the end of October 2021 , as per my estimates based on my perm dates ,I need more like 15-20 days more (after my max out date) to get I140 . I want to know if going to Canada using revalidation option will help me file additional extension ?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
My H1B is going to max out by the end of October 2021 , as per my estimates based on my perm dates ,I need more like 15-20 days more (after my max out date) to get I140 . I want to know if going to Canada using revalidation option will help me file additional extension ?
H1 days are counted just based on the number of days resided/present in US. So you can go to any country and spend few weeks which can be claimed later during extension.

Point to note: Entering/Reentering US within 2 months is always risky since officer questions on why you enter just for 2 months to avoid anyone overstaying their visas.

Not sure why you were waiting till last moment to ask on these and plan on these. But do you have visa for Canada or having status in Canada?

Jul 31, 2021
I recaptured whatever I had from my previous visits I (obviously went to India few times to make up for it) so looking for final options ,with consulate closed all over looking into this option . No I do not have any visa for Canada ,only visa I have is B1/B2 which is valid till 2023.