+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

auto insurance in Quebec - moving from US

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to plan for my landing and settlement in Quebec in a couple of months from now and I wanted to get some input on driving-related matters.

I'm planning to export my car and exchange my US driver's license for a Canadian one, but I am curious about insurance rates in QC, whether they consider US driving history, and how to go about the whole process. I have had a D/L for 8 years, a car for only 2, with no tickets or claims. Not a very long history, but I presume it's better than no history at all.

For example, would it make sense to buy insurance first with current US license since - I imagine - it will provide a more complete and consistent picture (US license + US driving record + prior US insurance) then later switch to a Quebec D/L (I understand new residents have at least a couple of months to switch), or is it better to apply for a Canadian D/L from day one and try my luck with the insurance companies? Or maybe it doesn't make a difference either way?

Also, if someone here has made a similar move, how would you compare insurance rates between US and QC (roughly of course): About the same? Considerably more? Considerably less?

Any insights or tips about this and the general topic of auto insurance in QC would be greatly appreciated.

darxider

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
1) get your complete driving record from your DMV before your move to Canada
2) get a paper from your car dealership saying that there are no recalls for your car; you'd need that to register your car in Canada.
3) call your US insurance company and tell them you're going to be in Canada for a while and you'd need the "Motor Vehicle Liability Card / Canada Inter-Province" insurance card (i've heard that some companies no longer give that to you, but call and ask for one); you'd need that to show your insurance coverage if you're stopped by the police in Canada
4) get your claims history from your car insurer (most Canadian insurance companies i talked to asked for that, but some didn't); you can do this from Canada
5) really not sure if Canadian insurers would insure a car with a US license plate; you'd need to call and ask.
6) the insurance rate in Canada is generally higher than that in the US. i was paying ~$300/yr in the US, and now i'm paying ~$600/yr. i'm currently insured with TD Meloche Monnex (they gave me the best rates for a very good coverage).